Will someone please put some pants on Nysthi modules?

As do I regarding mine :wink:

For anyone that just doesn’t like the turqouise –

If you use the module ‘Nysthiometer’ you can right click and change the theme to grey or black.

Just restart vcv rack and the theme will change for most nysthi modules

7 Likes

that nysthi guy makes me crazy with no manuals too ! :sunglasses:

31 Likes

I read somewhere… was it the manual :thinking: that you don’t even have to restart…

1 Like

What’s wrong with this ?! :rofl:

44 Likes

Definitely compact!

So here’s the thing @thisguy - maintaining a big open source project is actually quite a lot of work. And it’s super rewarding! You get to interact with a community of folks who want to help, who use your software, who take it in new and interesting directions.

And it is definitely the case that these modules have a distinct aesthetic which may not be for you.

But I think the reason folks reacted negatively to your post is not because it said something like “these modules are useful but their look is rather dense” but instead said “please put some pants on” and “don’t any devs care about module looks”.

When volunteer devs read things like that it just takes an ounce of motivation away. It reinforces the trope that all users of free softeware are entitled and ungrateful. And it kinda makes you wonder if you should just close your laptop. I don’t think you meant it rudely - I haven’t checked your message history - but that’s why I think you got the reaction you did

So let me encourage you instead to take one of the modules you think is most useful and least in line with your workflow, grab a copy of Inkscape or illustrator or whatever, and take a swing at a design of the panel you may like. Propose that to folks or heck even code it up and see what people think! I know many free software devs love that style of collaboration and maybe it could help make your point a bit clearer and make the community a little less rollicking? Or you could even end up building a module set with someone here which has, as you say, pants!

21 Likes

I used to feel that way until I realized some of the modules in the Nysthi collection are versions of pre euro rack devices. Buchla racks are taller. To look right those modules need to be magnified a little bit more. I am super grateful for what Antonio does!

1 Like

Because it’s a hobby. Not everyone is a programmer and a graphic designer who exists to serve you for free. Antonio is a super awesome guy who gives away his passion projects for free. Yes, some of them aren’t the prettiest. Again, not everyone is a professional graphic designer and a DSP engineer and a musician.

2 Likes

yes, those guys are ugly. I used to not use them, but then they became fundamental pieces of my patches

We must also recognize that there are some that are especially beautiful, e.g. s Simpliciter

and others extremely horrible, like the Polyphonic Recorder, wtf that gradient, it shakes hands with Squinky Labs typography

7 Likes

This reminds me that there was a really cool dark color scheme for NYSTHI modules, I think it was by @funkybot

@synthi could you make that available again to pick it as default theme from the nysthi-o-meter?

When I open the nysthiometer and right click, there are 2 choices for skins, but it doesn’t seem to work.

wow, I know that font was not super popular, but as bad a a high contrast gradient over the whole panel? outch! oh well.

btw, in my Ill fated new line I ditched the bad font, and the blue colors. But I did put in a gradient :wink:

3 Likes

i know actually somebody who has planned to open sort of a jeans shop for VCV modules. …“Bloovis”, or so. Under the motto, get the modules for free, so you can save up the money for the new pants. He sayed, should turn into the next upcoming thing…

:wink:

Nysthi modules are like your grand parent’s apple pie: you won’t showcase it in a fancy bakery in Paris, but once you have a taste of it, you don’t want it any different!

16 Likes

LOL. Antonio has always made clear that he makes his modules for his own purposes, and shares them so other people can also use them, or not.

Search ‘Nysthi’ on this forum and you’ll find some of the ‘missing documentation’

And keep in mind that when people listen to your music, they won’t be asking “How did this look on a computer monitor?”

1 Like

Its ok I just always hear Nysthi this and that and when I go to grab them even in the dark mode, I cant bring myself to use them. So I dont know if they’re any good or not.

i’d think the fact that you’re “always hearing Nysthi this and Nysthi that” should tell you they’re good. or at least, that a whole lot of people like them, despite their appearance.

2 Likes

oh, there’s all kinds of users. I think that the quality of my modules was very high. But there were plenty of ppl who thought they were too ugly to use. shrug?

2 Likes

No one is forcing you to use them.

2 Likes

For those of us who work in the artistic field (either as a professional or an amateur) aesthetics is important, for many it is the aesthetics of sound, for others also visual aesthetics.

almost all of us can recognize without doubt what the nysthi modules look like, and they also leave no doubt as to the quality, we have a developer who just “lets us play with his toys as they are” many of them are visually delightful and others not so much.

I have never heard Antonio say “I am closed to collaboration with UI designers” in fact, I think the opposite happens having collaborated with @pyer for example

I think it’s a bit of “hinchar las pelotas” to come here and complain that you’re never going to use a module because it’s ugly (which also are free) , and not ask how you could help improve it.

7 Likes

ok all good points.

4 Likes