Which plugin (if any) is crashing Rack 2.1.0 standalone patch?

sorry - I can’t figure out how to load this file in the module. The instructions say this:

We follow the same load/browse semantic as SurgeWTOSC.

FIXME this section needs improving.

@baconpaul is that an attempt to be funny? :wink:

1 Like

Don’t be sorry, I also had to search for a while to find the right folder, you have it when right-clicking on the module → info → open plugin folder

The full directory is C:\Users****\Documents\Rack2\plugins\SurgeRack\build\surge-data\patches_factory

I added a “User” folder inside the directory. It’s possible that it doesn’t like it since user presets are in another directory in the VST files. It’s also possible that it doesn’t like SurgeXT patches and would prefer Surge patches ?

I didn’t find anything on this issue so I’m sure there is something so obvious and dumb I didn’t think about yet, and everything will work. Maybe

well, I know there are people here who use that plugin. I don’t, which is why I have no idea how to load a patch.

we’ll see, I posted an issue on Github. I tried with patches made with Surge 1.9, VCV crashes as well.

Me neither usually, but it would be very useful to the rack I’m working on

I found a Discord post from 2021 from @baconpaul

They use the 1.7.1 dsp engine

So it has to be 1.7.1 patches, or at least patches that do not use XT or 1.9 stuff

That’s a shame.

Excuse my ignorance, but is this using the Surge plugin and modules that are in the VCV library?

Patches are made in the standalone or VST version, and Surge Rack is a patch player for VCV (yes, in the library) made by the Surge team that reads Surge patches

I missed the post in the forum, I should have begin here, but they want to make the modules up-to-date with SurgeXT

1 Like

Just to clarify, Surge for Rack is the plugin and SurgePatchPlayer is the module, right?

1 Like

Surge is the plugin, and yes SurgePatchPlayer is the module

Technically, I suppose Surge for Rack is the brand name, SurgeRack is the plugin and SurgePatchPlayer is the module.

“Patch” in this context means a VCV patch file?

Sorry, for my questions and I only ask since I am the OP on this current topic. Seems to me that perhaps this thread should be in a Surge topic.

Surge is the plugin, not SurgeRack ; and yeah they took Surge for Rack as VCV library brand name but the real brand name is SurgeSynthTeam.

“patch” meant either a VCV patch and a Surge patch, depending on the context and sentence ;

No problem !

The thread is closed and solved, so it’s ok ; but as I had repeated crashes because of this, I posted here. and I posted the issue on their github aswell

The surge patch player module was I think a mistake. Just use the vst in the host module is my advice.

I’m not sure what that means, but that is okay.

I don’t think the thread is actually marked as solved, or closed.

@k-chaffin I was meaning, just my post about surgepatchplayer since I have a fix.

1 Like

it’s a damn useful mistake, and 1.7 can handle basic FM patches like the stuff in my rack so it’ll do until I can use XT (the idea seems to be on track, am i right ?)

So to get XT building we in rack right now we’ve had to disable some XT features. So the patch player won’t have the same feature set as the plugin if we go that route. We are still chatting about what to do with that fact.

1 Like

The XT plugin (VST3/CLAP/AU) (which doesn’t build in the rack environment) will always be fully featured and work in the host plugin though.

1 Like