Which plugin (if any) is crashing Rack 2.1.0 standalone patch?

we’ll see, I posted an issue on Github. I tried with patches made with Surge 1.9, VCV crashes as well.

Me neither usually, but it would be very useful to the rack I’m working on

I found a Discord post from 2021 from @baconpaul

They use the 1.7.1 dsp engine

So it has to be 1.7.1 patches, or at least patches that do not use XT or 1.9 stuff

That’s a shame.

Excuse my ignorance, but is this using the Surge plugin and modules that are in the VCV library?

Patches are made in the standalone or VST version, and Surge Rack is a patch player for VCV (yes, in the library) made by the Surge team that reads Surge patches

I missed the post in the forum, I should have begin here, but they want to make the modules up-to-date with SurgeXT

1 Like

Just to clarify, Surge for Rack is the plugin and SurgePatchPlayer is the module, right?

1 Like

Surge is the plugin, and yes SurgePatchPlayer is the module

Technically, I suppose Surge for Rack is the brand name, SurgeRack is the plugin and SurgePatchPlayer is the module.

“Patch” in this context means a VCV patch file?

Sorry, for my questions and I only ask since I am the OP on this current topic. Seems to me that perhaps this thread should be in a Surge topic.

Surge is the plugin, not SurgeRack ; and yeah they took Surge for Rack as VCV library brand name but the real brand name is SurgeSynthTeam.

“patch” meant either a VCV patch and a Surge patch, depending on the context and sentence ;

No problem !

The thread is closed and solved, so it’s ok ; but as I had repeated crashes because of this, I posted here. and I posted the issue on their github aswell

The surge patch player module was I think a mistake. Just use the vst in the host module is my advice.

I’m not sure what that means, but that is okay.

I don’t think the thread is actually marked as solved, or closed.

@k-chaffin I was meaning, just my post about surgepatchplayer since I have a fix.

1 Like

it’s a damn useful mistake, and 1.7 can handle basic FM patches like the stuff in my rack so it’ll do until I can use XT (the idea seems to be on track, am i right ?)

So to get XT building we in rack right now we’ve had to disable some XT features. So the patch player won’t have the same feature set as the plugin if we go that route. We are still chatting about what to do with that fact.

1 Like

The XT plugin (VST3/CLAP/AU) (which doesn’t build in the rack environment) will always be fully featured and work in the host plugin though.

1 Like

Understood ; anything that saves CPU is good for me, so even if it’s not the full feature set, as long as I can save these precious 3/4% per synth voice, it’s already great to have access to such a module.

About Host, I still don’t have it and don’t feel I need it yet. Bought Pro version tho, to use VCV as a VST, but the +2500 modules usually take great care of my ideas. But yeah I suppose I’ll buy it sooner or later !

Big news! My crash source has been identified by the plugin developer I have been working on for the past week or so and will be fixed in the next release. I am not naming the plugin since I am apparently the only one to ever run into or at least report the crash.

The problem was an out of range array index that could happen when the problem modules received a reset while running in a particular mode. The end result was that the output ports channel count would be set to garbage values outside of the 1-16 range.

I have been working on this since February, so I am celebrating!

6 Likes

With permission from Count Modula, here are the details on this crash which was fixed within a week of me sending the last crashing minimal patch and the fix has been submitted to the library review queue;

The crash was occurring whenever I used the CM 8To1 or 16To1 sequential switches if the switches were set to “reverse” direction and I sent a reset to the module. As mentioned above, the root problem was an out of bounds array index that only showed up after reset in the reverse direction (or possibly random direction). This had to do with the input and output ports number of channels such that the output port channels would be set to anything between 0 and 76 during my tests. This also seemed to cause problems with downstream modules when they received input cables set to 0 or > 16 channels (or perhaps other values) as well as some NaN voltages.

There is an issue on this in the Count Modula Github repository.

5 Likes