What's the best operating system for VCV Rack?

True. I know both OSes well (i administrate Linux/Windows/Unix systems/clients as my day job). Both have cons and pros, thats why i especially asked for the best OS to use with VCV Rack. As already mentioned, i’m not a big fan of Apple, but if most of the developers/users of this forum had told me that OSX would be the way to go in terms of VCV compatibility and stability, then I would even have considered that. I now have ordered a Dell XPS 15 (i7, GTX 1050Ti), should do the job with Linux and Windows.

1 Like

Sorry, don’t know, not really my genre. :slight_smile:

I don’t get that. :confused:

I like Linux, since I discovered the vcv rack rack, stop using windows, plus Jack in Linux is the best

I’ve never used mac for audio, but I’ve used it for animation and I must say I do not like it, but who knows, everybody love mac…

parametra , flame , incubus…

3 Likes

That’s awesome David. You should start your own music thread. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

TB is TalkBass, where a common question is “what is the best bass/amp for Metal?”. I imagine it comes up on many forums. It is making fun of the consistency of its asking. Never seems to be any other genre. Just something about Metalheads [of which I am one] that has them thinking for too ahead of themselves. There is no best, is the answer. All down to taste.

1 Like

I’d have to say linux after reading this - Sending Midi out of VCV Rack

2 Likes

I like OSX a lot, but just for running rack it’s a bad choice. Everyone who has a macbook complains about performance, and about the fans being on at 100% all the time. Again, just for running VCV, a desktop PC with Windows or Linux would be a better choice.

2 Likes

Thank you for the clearification. :+1:

I agree, but i need a mobile solution. The laptop with Linux should be fine. :slight_smile:

This is nice. But it sounds like it wants to be lower and slower, right?

2 Likes

I m not sure what you mean

1 Like

Microsoft is updating Windows 7 (and presumably Windows 8) product keys to Windows 10 for free.

This happens for new installations, as well as in place upgrades.

So … dust off some of those old Windows product codes you may have lying around.

1 Like

I mean that that style of metal is usually played at a lower pitch and a lower tempo.

1 Like

If you want low tempo, go for Doom, Drone, Sludge. But this is some Djentronic, if ever I’ve heard it. Even if I made the word up.

1 Like

ahh I understand , I guess it depend of what kind of metal is… (in this case is just a experiment without a style in mind)

Yes, i know, but thank you for the hint. Maybe i’ll give it a try later, but for know i’ll stick with Linux. :slight_smile:

1 Like

perhaps it could be usefull

2 Likes

It is, keep it up.

Unfortunally, after using Linux for some days now, i switched to Windows. I still use and love Linux on other devices, but Windows seems to be better suited to me for music production and on this laptop, at least for now. Here is way:

• I had some gfx glitches with Rack on Linux, nothing minor but it bugs me.
  • Better support for my audio card, install driver, connect and use it.
  • I need something to record with, but Audacity on Linux isn’t really useable with high DPI screens at the moment. I’ll stay with Ableton for now. I would use Bitwig but i can’t stand with it, i don’t know why, it feeles clunky to me.
  • Look and feel are great on Linux, but i miss some tools that have no Linux version and the alternatives are not optimal.
  • Battery lasts longer on Windows.

Windows is simply easier to use in this situation, i just want to fiddle with music/media stuff, not with the OS itself.

2 Likes

That’s interesting, I found that battery lasts much longer on Linux :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is still happening???

EDIT: I guess it is.

1 Like

This is true if i do casual work, but with Rack and other CPU/GPU heavy stuff Windows seems to do better. Maybe it’s just some wrong settings in the power profile or similar. For the moment i’m fine with Windows. I also currently sell my hardware, i’m back to Ableton Live and got a Push…so Windows is the way to go for me at the moment.

Still use and love Linux for everything not music related. :slight_smile:

2 Likes