What are you Watching? (Educational)

For chalk and cheese, compare Ally there with Joey here:

It has not been received with a lot of love in the hardware community, it seems. Several for sale already.

Do you know what peoples complaints have been?

Iā€™m not too sure. I have read that some find it limited or that it is more like Beads (also unloved by many) than Arbhar (loved by most). The last post in the Mojave thread on MW was six weeks ago, and the thread is shorter at 6 pages than a typical Me Too utility module.

QuBit is a company that releases modules that get a very mixed reaction. Their modules seem better in concept than in execution. I have Data Bender, which I like, and Aurora, which was a poor impulse purchase. Many people seem particularly disappointed with Nautilus.

1 Like

Yeahā€¦ hardware people are a fickle and strange bunch :slight_smile: Lots of love of Clouds in hindsight, although many also said they couldnā€™t get on with it, but Mojave seems a lot more capable and attractive than Clouds. And the closest comparison to Mojave does seem to be Beads minus a strange ā€œautodetect featureā€ that caused Omri and others to sell his, but Mojave seems more user friendly and approachable than Beads.

It does seem to me that Qu-Bit is kind of the closest spiritual heir to Mutable Instruments and many of their modules seem very atractive. But the firmware definately needs to be maintained and bugfixed and I donā€™t know what their track record here is. MI was very good with it. I only have the Bloom and despite some minor firmware bugs/inconsistencies I think itā€™s a very attractive module with a lot of bang for the buck and size. Both Aurora and Nautilus seem delicious from the demos.

What was disappointing to you about Aurora?

1 Like

Iā€™ve never really gelled with Beads, so maybe Mojave would be better.

I made an impulse purchase of Aurora pretty much the day it was released as it offered something interesting on paper, a spectral reverb. However, it doesnā€™t work well as a reverb at all, and it should never have been billed as such. When the FDN Verb firmware was released it went straight on. Itā€™s OK but not brilliant as a reverb.

However, now I am spoilt for reverbs, with an OTO Bam on my mixer sends, and with the recent utterly brilliant port of Plateau to Versio, and all the Mutable reverbs available now in the Symbiote firmware for Warps. So I have just put the original firmware back on Aurora and am going to spend more time with it treating it purely as a spectral warper/smearer. Hopefully I will like it better the second time around.

1 Like

Oh wow!

3 Likes

I love Davidā€™s channel so much, and this thing is VERY interesting!

Colorful basic music theory.

Mike George - Circle of Fifths

Mike George - Difference between Relative and Parallel modes

2 Likes
2 Likes
3 Likes

Weā€™re getting a tour playing the 80ā€™s King Crimson albums, including Adrian Belew and Tony Levin. This is sooooo cool !!!

2 Likes

I saw Adrian Belew, Tony Levin, Pat Mastelotto and others in the Crimson Projekct years ago. That was great. Having Steve Vai and Carey join Belew and Levin is very cool.

2 Likes

I rememberā€¦

EDIT: this is not me itā€™s Paul and his son, and some local band members :wink:

5 Likes

Ha!

1 Like

The more I hear about post AGI economy the more meaningful I find this old favorite video of mine

3 Likes

Absolutely! In my day we used to have to search the internet we did! Not like these whippersnappers nowadays with their prompts and fancy gaschminkels, noooo!!

On a serious note - AI scares the shit out of me. Not the technology but the people. My relationship with it so far is roughly the same as with nuclear energy and genetic manipulation. Fine on paper but as soon as you mix humans into the picture, oy vey.

4 Likes

What Iā€™d like to be watching next weekā€¦

Next week ā€œEnoā€ premieres in the UK at the Barbican. There will be a post-film conversation with Brian Eno, Gary Hustwit and Brendan Dawes. (Itā€™s already been shown at the Sundance Film Festival)

ā€œFilmmaker Gary Hustwit and digital artist Brendan Dawes have developed a bespoke generative software that dynamically combines original interviews with Enoā€™s rich archive of unreleased footage and music. The result? Each screening is unique, presenting different scenes, order & music. Hustwit and Dawes will create the film live on-stage, and the version you see here will never be seen again.ā€

2 Likes

Promo video:

Tour website, dates and ticket sales: https://beat-tour.com/

Only in the US, dammitā€¦

3 Likes
3 Likes

That was a fun trip down memory lane for me :wink:

1 Like