What are you Watching? (Educational)

I can’t help thinking of Ken Thompson, Dennis Ritchie and UNIX, every time I see a PDP-11 :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Interesting watch this for anyone familiar with endless GAS for electronic music hardware, Jeremy is one of the better reviewers and makes some salient points here about how the equipment manufacturers are taking the YouTube reviewers for a ride. I’m not sure whether his wider idea about them loosely unionising would catch on given the near endless carousel of people willing to do a lot for free these days, but the base concept that people’s talent, experience and time is valuable and should be respected as such by those wanting to benefit from it is a good one.

My biggest takeaway is he can’t feed his dog a drum machine. I guess that means he doesn’t own a labrador.

7 Likes

Everything that looks like a side hustle is being used by corporations to get cheap/free labor. It sorta feels like people are so excited to be seen that the content is just their excuse to say look at me. People like to focus on the ADs as the big commerce going on, but obviously these are defacto manuals sometimes and that could save a company like Behringer thousands of bucks.

Maybe one or two manufacturers will grasp the nettle and actually pay someone like Loopop properly to do what they do best and create online video manuals for their products. I think it would create waves. As Jeremy said in the video, these top guys now all know each other and are in touch. It might mean an extra buck on the sale price, but could save someone from churning out some dull paper documentation. Though I suppose as discussed there will be questions over how honest any reviews could be.

1 Like

Many creators make people aware of the time and resource costs to make high quality videos. I appreciate that and benefit from them.

It’s fine for him to speak out, but it’s a new economy, which is just an old economy, and the story of the last four centuries. Some view this as an overall success and others don’t.

I’m not on his Patreon so I don’t know how much he puts into that side but for those who I am, I know that Discord presence can be another big time sink. Hard work to do, you have to love it I think, and it’s not a secure job, which is stressful. As you say, there are plenty of others who will happily take over.

Each creator finds their own relationship with it I guess.

1 Like

Omri is pure genius staying out of the commercial fray by highlighting an exciting essentially free resource that many can learn much from. It focuses on the creation of music almost completely and leaves all the advertising and clickbait stuff to others. He has carved a neat niche and deserves any success.

4 Likes
4 Likes

That was a lot of fun!

1 Like

Knew I saw this before, but then saw you posted this back in September :grin: Good repost though, for those who didn’t catch it the first time.

1 Like

I wasn’t sure if I already posted it.

Very nice. I just picked up Noise Engineering’s Numeric Repetitor that pumps out gate rhythms based on the products of primes so it’s definitely practical stuff.

This is an interesting use of a sequential switch to process audio as a sub octave square wave generator. Also shows it works with a clock divider too.

The arpeggio examples are particularly nice IMO.

5 Likes

That’s impressive.

1 Like

In the Picasso sense of having to know the rules before you intentionally break them, some theory

9 Likes

That was inspiring. I wish @Squinky would resurrect and release his Harmony and Arpeggiator modules or someone could adopt them if he is open to that. I think a lot of people would be interested in exploring the voice leading and 4 voice harmony capabilities.

8 Likes
1 Like

the most ancient known music

3 Likes

Can’t wait to see this module! :slight_smile: