What are you Watching? (Educational)

The visual patterns of sprinkling salt on a square metal plate with different frequency vibrations fed into its center. I guess this is one way to solve differential equations! LOL.

6 Likes
8 Likes
7 Likes

Another fantastic video by Alex. That Demo2 on there would cause crazy me to get hold of a SEM at all costs. Thankfully I can control myself these days :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That was a fun flashback. I built my 3 VCO PAIA modular synth from kits in 1973 and continued to evolve it until about 1981 at which time I began switching to computer based synths and communications. I replaced all of the patch cords with a switching matrix.

I remember looking at the Oberheims, ARPs, MOOGs, and so on that were way out of my reach due to costs.

Towards the end of my PAIA years, I had it interfaced to my Apple II+ via the joystick ports and could do 4 bit A/D and 8 bit D/A and I had a hacked and circuit bent Casio keyboard.

Those were fun years.

I made my move to MIDI synths in 1985.

1 Like

Oh, I just recently (well a couple of months ago) saw a video about their drum synth on LMNC channel

4 Likes

Yep, that’s them and a pic of the model I built at about 0:38 . I built quite a few PAIA instruments, including a Theramin.

I eventually rack mounted my PAIA synth modules in a homemade wooden rack that is still up in the top of a closet here in my studio, along with the Theramin, along with my Apple II+ console.

3 Likes

It,d be fun to see some PAIA stuff like this in VCV. :thinking:

1 Like

This is a really cool patch to allow us to control the patch with a game controller. In my case I had my wireless Xbox controller controlling the patch in just a few minutes. I still don’t have it all figured out.

I did something like this ~20 years ago with a wired controller.and Acid Loops, or something like that. I was also trying to do this in the last 5 years in conjunction with VR.

This could be a blast for live performance, IMHO!

The patch download link is in the Youtube video details. All I had to subscribe to was the Rare Breeds plugin for Eugene.

2 Likes

I used the PAIA computer keyboard for quite a few years. You could only program it in 6502 machine language. I had to fix a bug in their sequencer, but at the time I didn’t realize how lucky I was to have a digital sequencer in 1979.

2 Likes

I had the digital keyboard retrofit, but that was not the “computer” keyboard. I worked with it until ~1982 and pretty soon got my first IBM PC and began my journey towards MIDI interfaces and MIDI equipment, which I bought in 1985 with the Roland alpha-Juno2 and Ensonic Mirage. The PAIA keyboard is still in the closet. along with the PAIA rack mounted.

I used mine until maybe 1986. By which time I had a PC, but it got stolen.

Nanotopia made this vr project that gets user feedback, rack, and biodata. I know they used vcvrack in some point, but not sure if they discuss it in this video.

There is more data on this website

1 Like
3 Likes

Alex Ball’s latest vid, about the Mutronics Mutator

Softube do a version, must admit I was intrigued.

1 Like

Very cool! The Mutator sounds like something that could be emulated in VCV Rack, to some degree, using a combination of existing modules. I wonder if anyone has specifically tried that?

The main components seem to be linking up an envelope follower with filter(s) and modulation sources and all those exist in various forms in the rack library.

3 Likes

Cool look at a machine so significant in the history of computer music.

2 Likes

I worked a lot with the PDP-11/03 in the late 70s, but never made music with it.