What are you Watching? (Educational)

Yeah, a very far seing man.

Yes, by our current, limited thinking (see: arrogance), in the box of what we claim to have discovered so far. Now, once someone actually understands gravity, and gain the power to manipulate/direct it, it gets to be a whole other kettle of fish. See also: Bob Lazar. But let’s not go there :slight_smile:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9174746/

As it’s a link to Joe Rogan, I’m definitely not going there.

2 Likes

OK, first of all it is a great demostration from DivKid about a very nice module.

…but look at this double-band control mechanism! It’s hilarious! :grin:

I love how ES have been naming their analogue modules after each track on The Cocteau Twins album Treasure. It’s one of my favourite albums

it’s such a bonkers random thing to do and I’m here for it

Kind of got me thinking you could create a module with a motorised knob (no, not like in Tetsuo) and with judicious rubber band usage automate any manual eurorack knob provided it’s parked close enough to the target module.

4 Likes

That was great, thanks Paul.

1 Like

Interesting fly on the wall video footage from the studio when David Sylvian and various luminaries like Sakamoto and Czukay were playing on what would become his classic album “Brilliant Trees”

3 Likes

I find the guitar part in the beginning mesmerizing, for a few reasons, there is no accompanying rhythm track, he plays left handed, the guitar is upside down and the strings are too, so the chords he plays also look alien. And it sounds GREAT.

1 Like

It’s also I think because he’s playing something to a backing we can’t hear so we’re hearing it entirely outside its context, but yes all those chords do look weird. I like the bit with Czukay searching for ‘something’ on a bunch of dictaphone ‘samples’.

1 Like

I’m so excited I finally found something about simulating fluid behavior that I can understand intuitively. Usually it’s a tangled nightmare of differential equations.

I’m not saying I’m going to create a VCV Rack module based on this, but I’m not not saying that either… LOL.

9 Likes

Been listening to more and more ‘Krautrock’ recently to try and absorb lessons from its minimalism and slow organic mutation within tracks.

3 Likes
5 Likes

Ben Eater has the best low level, practical and educational tech videos.

1 Like

I had to laugh at the author’s comment “It isn’t practical to write machine code like this.”, In 1980 I wrote an A.I. app for my Apple II+ 6502 based computer. I had a Basic front-end GUI with a 6502 hexadecimal machine code A.I. engine. I did not have an assembler, thus machine code.

So, while not practical, is is possible and is done sometimes.

1 Like
1 Like

Some interesting stuff in here. Particularly liked the redubbed Star Wars Revenge of the Sith.

2 Tone was my favourite music movement, probably as it coincided with me hitting my teens, but it was a great blending pot of genres and people

2 Likes

Survived Christmas? Well, dive in! I was very happy to discover someone who agrees totally with me on Ludovico Einaudi. Also being Dutch I very much appreciated the to-the-point portrayal of André Rieu.

1 Like