What are you Watching? (Educational)

2 Likes

I think it’s meant to be an intro to all that stuff. Good if, like me, you didn’t even imagine it there.

1 Like

“The Sound of 007” documentary on Prime Video.

Mat Whitecross’s new documentary, “The Sound of 007” reveals the history of the Bond music, from the genesis of 1962’s “Dr. No” with its iconic theme, through to Billie Eilish’s Academy Award¼-winning song for 2021’s "No Time To Die

TBH I did not agree with many of the pronouncements about which were proper “Bond tunes”. (I would disqualify pretty much anything after “You Only Live Twice”.)

You better know: “Plugins are lame,bro”

Bought, starting in 7 hours, I’m exited :guitar::heart_eyes:

Watching this one today tipped me over. Thought the terms were silly and wasn’t gonna pay but then
 dammit! I knew I’d regret it if I didn’t.

6 Likes

7 Likes

Of all things I got focused on the Chapman Stick :thinking:

Tony on the stick is awesomenes. Seen him a couple of times, he just seems like a force of nature. @Squinky has a couple of stories about it

2 Likes

This was published nearly a year ago and somebody may have posted it before (though I didn’t see it scrolling back).

This is over 50 years old but contains a superb introduction to subtractive synthesis. So little has changed! A vintage pleasure.

5 Likes

That was fun and nostalgic since I was there in time.

I best liked the statement, to paraphrase, “The electronic music composer is more like a painter or sculptor.”. I wholeheartedly agree. But then, the way I approach programming is more like a sculptor.

2 Likes

I do recall seing it, from following a link somewhere in here. But yeah, it’s a good one.

This Pure Data plugin is a work in progress, but seems a great way to quickly work up ideas you could translate into a VCV module, a VST plugin or even hardware.

Also, this video is demoing different recipes for how to use the hardware versions of the Befaco Noise Plethora and Percall modules, but everything can also be done in the Rack.

4 Likes

I never learned so much about chemistry in such a short time:

1 Like
4 Likes

FFT was only discovered in like the 1970’s, wasn’t it?

Depends on your meaning of the word “discovered” :stuck_out_tongue:

the basic ideas were popularized in 1965, but some algorithms had been derived as early as 1805.[1]

2 Likes

I sort of like the term “discovered” as it seems like the FFT is inherently implemented in the cosmos by “quantum computational” processes. At least it seems that way to me.

1 Like

Yeah, just looked in my copy of Oppenheim and Schaefer. Cooley and Turk, 1965. My memory committed that 30 years ago, and was off by 10 years!

I always say discovered when talking about math. Usually that’s obviously correct (no one “invented” trig, exponential functions, etc
 Admittedly FFT is more of an algorithm than a fundamental, but ?

4 Likes

Fascinating look into the work of a late 60’s Finnish avant-garde electronic musician who amongst various experiments had some tracks that came close to what we’d now define as minimalist hardcore techno

4 Likes

I knew there was probably some reason to make Meander able to go up to 960 BPM :wink: Of course I do like Rave/Acid fast tempo sequences.

2 Likes