What are you listening to?

Soul Syndicate - Harvest Uptown / Famine Downtown

Recorded at Gooseberry Studios, one of those classic little London demo studios that were the beating heart of the music industry as was

~listening

Apropos of some discussions about modelling of brass instruments, the totally wonderful On the Way to the Peak of Normal

I find I have to listen to Holger Czukay every now and then to retain some perspective

1 Like

oh, yeah, I got that one when it came out. It’s good stuff. Did you read the big Can bio? It’s pretty fun.

1 Like

A book is this? No I haven’t. I never got into Can for some reason. I keep meaning to. They happened a bit before my time, and the old days popular music history was lost, unavailable if you’d missed the bus. I came across this album without context in a record lending library in Manchester - can you imagine such a thing now?

‘Peak of Normal’ was - is - wonderful, but really it was the gateway drug to this…

Yes it’s a big book. It’s pretty interesting, even if you don’t know much about them.

1 Like

and watching 90’s bjork videos(still ahead of their time, also, nice to see music on emptyV, even if it’s a '90s rerun), and anything Paul Chambers played on. Oh, and I found this obscure composer called Dary John Mizelle. Interesting work with sine waves.

This video is a testament to the fact that some music is meant to be enjoyed, some is meant to be endured.

2 Likes

I rented this just because of the cover :

Funny thing it’s also produced by Conny Plank. Still a great live album.

EDIT : it’s produced by EROC , and remixed in Conny Plank’s Studio. :blush:

2 Likes

Solarmusic and Rockpommels Land are their classics and a few Rockpalast shows.

1 Like

I don’t blame you - pretty disturbing/interesting image, as is the music from a quick listen. Album art - is anyone keeping the flame alive?

Grobschnitt - another new thing “Highlight performances include Solar Music, an extended mostly instrumental piece which lasted up to an hour”. You see, I missed out on prog rock and my era was the 3 minute punk rock song

1 Like

always liked these guys…

1 Like

oy, and of course:

This is truly amazing, could this ever be reproduced in VCV Rack? Open Reel Ensemble. I doubt it, a lot of pitch shifting, the drumming on the tape loops, would it be even more impossible or would it? Simpliciter could do some of it, could your Tape Recorder work for this style of tape manipulation? So many questions.

1 Like

What a nice interview.

1 Like

Varispeed playback of a buffer with very carefully crafted CV control (quick envelopes for the drumstick hits, etc.) might actually get surprisingly close. I suspect that the stuff about tape that’s hard to model digitally isn’t forming that much of their sound.

Cool performance!

Of course it can, e.g. the drumming on the tape can be reproduced by using an ADSR module on the speed input of Tape Recorder. Maybe I do a video on that.