What are you listening to?

Japanese jazz fusion - Sadistic Mika Band, Old Grey Whistle Test 1975

3 Likes

all the Peel Sessions stuff here is a reminder how many great acts he would open ears to. I have no doubt if he was still around and doing his show I’d have heard of the band. I haven’t found another similar show that makes me want to listen consistently. Stuart Maconie’s probably the best of the rest. I fully admit it’s probably just me becoming an older grumpy bastard more than any lack of dj talent.

1 Like

Crimson Projekt

None of those look like Fripp. I thought he was involved in the all the Crimson spin-offs?

(I saw him perform once with the League of Crafty Guitarists. I live a few miles down the road from the Gurdjieff community he used to be associated with.)

projekts were all “side projects” that were subsets of the the current KC. Pretty sure Fripp was in all of them. There is a 4 CD set of this stuff somewhere (in my house).

No Fripp, just these (incredible) 6 :

THE CRIMSON PROJEKCT - Red (ALBUM TRACK). Taken from the album “Live In Tokyo”. InsideOutMusic 2014.

Adrian Belew: Electric Guitar Tony Levin: Stick Pat Mastelotto: Drums Markus Reuter: U8 Touch Guitar Julie Slick: Bass Guitar Tobias Ralph: Drums.

Paul and his son are missing from the pic above :wink:

3 Likes

Ah, ok. Here the set I have. Fripp is in all 4 of these.

1 Like

I should photoshop us in :slight_smile:

1 Like

The Crimson ProjeKCt - Thela Hun Ginjeet

1 Like

Fripp and Belew aren’t on the best of terms. But this was an “approved” incarnation of Crimson ProjeKCt

As Robert Fripp stated in his Saturday 14 April 2012 diary: “Tony and myself discussed the not-easily-doable name of “Stick Men & The Adrian Belew Power Trio That Do A Set Of King Crimson Music”. Tony’s suggestion was “ProjeKct Krimson”. Mine was “The Crimson ProjeKCt”.”

1 Like

Fripp seems a bit prickly at times, although he does have a sense of humor – Exposure is one of the funniest rock albums of all time, and that quote about the power trio…

This may be a little off topic for a “listening” thread (not a “watching” thread), but this is fun to listen/watch. It’s Fripp and his wife on a English game show, where they try to answer questions about their spouse. It’s touching in way.

1 Like
2 Likes

Oh, yeah. Have you been watching Toyah and Robert’s Sunday Lunch?

6 Likes

It’s pretty fun. comes up in my FB feed all the time, for some reason.

All this Sheffield stuff, I have to point to Heaven 17 / BEF. I don’t think anyone has done electro soul better or ever, ever will. I think they would have made good use of VCV Rack if they had had it. I read that they couldn’t play this album live until recently because all the tech was too hard/manual at the time.

And all that horrific UK in the eighties business is god vibe, perfect in the vid.

Then they got it going live in the end, here’s Fascist Groove Thang, oh yeah!

1 Like

From Gary Numan’s upcoming album

1 Like

Truly beautiful, so who is going to build the patch in VCV Rack? Heaven 17 named after a group in Clockwork Orange pop charts! So the wheel comes full circle. Democrats are in power across the Great White Ocean, yet the spectre still persists!

1 Like

I listened to “music of quality and distinction” many, many times in the 80’s.

1 Like

Heaven 17 were a great band - an offshoot of the original Human League before they went pop and made it big.

ABC were around at about the same time - I saw them in an upstairs room in a pub when they were called Vice Versa.

1 Like
2 Likes

I have got some Vice Versa live audio from YouTube of them at Futurerama 80 Leeds, I think. Also got the Sheffield music scene [Made in Sheffield vol1] book all about the early groups, a great read. There was a DVD with it as well. God, I miss my youth, seeing all the great bands from about 1979- Starting with the Two Tone bands through to My Blood Valentine to Saint Etienne to Stone Roses, Christ knows if any band will tour again!

Vice Versa Futurama - YouTube

Vice Versa - Music 4 (EP) - YouTube

2 Likes