What are you listening to?

Something pretty apt for the times

4 Likes

I love that early/mid-80s post-punk sound (The Cure, The Cult (early albums only), Siouxsie and the Banshees, the Smiths to some extent). Somehow I’ve never heard The Chameleons, thanks for posting it.

Their first album Script Of The Bridge and the third one, Strange Times, are great IMO. The second album has amazing songs, but suffers from overproduction. I was a teen into indie through that period so if you’re really into that sound then in case you’ve not heard them would also highly recommend Magazine who were kind of prog meets punk.

1 Like

Mister Chilly Gonzales:

4 Likes

RIP Spencer Davis

4 Likes

Pauline Oliveros, Reverberations

Rhythm & Sound, Mango Drive

4 Likes

4 Likes

saw him as “the band” in Peach’s one-woman show “Jesus Christ Superstar”. They were both very good.

Nice. Makes me want to draw the cover art on JW’s XY-pad.

The end of the song seems kind of disjointed from the beginning though.

1 Like

A lush new tune from one of my favourite artists.

3 Likes

I listened to a fair bit of early Jefferson Airship when I was younger, Surrealistic Pillow being a favourite, but it wasn’t until today that I heard their excellent “Volunteers” album and then came across this, sci-fi concept album supposedly put out as a Paul Kantner solo album but featuring performances from Grace Slick, David Crosby, Graham Nash, Jerry Garcia…

…put me in mind of Flaming Lips.

2 Likes

Oh yeah, there was a lot of guest appearances among those bands in the late 60s-early 70s, to the point where they jokingly named themselves The Planet Earth Rock and Roll Orchestra. My favorite album from them is David Crosby - If I Could Only Remember My Name

4 Likes

I bet he had trouble at the time :slight_smile:

I remember an interview with Jefferson Airplane where they were talking about tripping while playing live and how it wasn’t the greatest idea when the instrument you are playing is continually changing shape and size.

Will Carruthers from Spacemen 3, another band known for their meddling with mind altering substances, named his autobiography Playing Bass with 3 Left Hands :smiley:

1 Like

I got this LP!

I always like crown of creation.

Jeff Wayne’s Musical Version of The War of the Worlds

Note: this was available on YouTube for a limited time only.

4 Likes

And I might go back to the original later

Just great. I own the original Vinyl version, bought decades ago :wink: The opener song makes me a chicken skin (Hühnerhaut), also still today.

2 Likes

That’s funny, there are English phrases like “it gives me goose pimples” and “gave me goose bumps”, so same idea, different animal. :slight_smile:

Oh and the illustrated booklet gave me nightmares as a kid, the red weed over everything.

2 Likes