What are you listening to?

I recently rediscovered this achingly beautiful Coil album that Sleazy put together after John Balance’s untimely death, ‘The Ape of Naples’. Sadly, he died too a few years later.

Standout tracks for me are the first, ‘Fire of the Mind’, ‘Triple Sun’, ‘Amber Rain’ and especially the epic final track, ‘Going Up’, surely the finest use of the theme from a cheesy sitcom (‘Are You Being Served?’) ever recorded (certainly in a track about dying).

4 Likes

Such a great album! Got a penchant for Amethyst Deceiver ever since I heard it on Moon’s Milk and I’m just a sucker for any version of Teenage Lightning that’s out there.

2 Likes

Tried listening to some Porcupine Tree a while ago and it didn’t do much for me, but I just found their “Lightbulb Sun” album and I’m digging it.

1 Like

My favorite rock record out of Germany ever:

Closely followed by this:

Spliff was Nina Hagen’s band from the first record, minus Nina. Great band!

2 Likes

They were just as great live, I found some videos of them playing at Rockpalast 1978, they are all out of sync and in glorious mono, but they show a band performing flawless and Nina FFíng up at various places. First album I replaced with a CD ( together with Genesis Live ).

2 Likes

Saw that one live on TV here in Denmark, good stuff.

1 Like

It’s just so weird or sad that, as far as modern, spacy, driving Krautrock goes, imo Einseinseins is way up there and for a while, I had solely put Kolding on the Top5 of Spotify’s list of listeners’ cities.

How Susanne Sundfør has not been recognised as one of the world’s greatest artists has been a mystery to me for about a decade.

A couple of old tracks:

Warning - this is a tough watch.

From her most recent album:

Then there are all the amazing collaborations with Röyksopp down the years …

2 Likes

got a few of her records . saw her singing with Royksopp and Robyn.

1 Like

That must have been great. This is another favourite track of mine:

Though when I think of Robyn I always think of the audience takeovers she does, for example:

yeah, the show we saw was “three sets”. Royksopp (with susanne sundaror singing sometimes), Robksopp and Robyn, and then Robyn by herself.

3 Likes

Just saw it the other day. Fantastic documentary about a fantastic band.

1 Like

I’ve gone down the Sovietwave rabbit hole lately. Here’s a fun one…

2 Likes

RIP Melanie

2 Likes

I have a daughter named after Melanie Safka from back in the 70s. :frowning:

3 Likes
9 Likes

I have the 45 of candles!

1 Like

btw, the flip side of the candles 45 is “oh happy day”. Which is pretty good, but I like this “homage” even better: