What are you listening to?

2 Likes

Michael Hoenig - classic Berlin school

4 Likes

Various Annette Peacock tracks on random

4 Likes

pretty damn cool song & performance i thought, love all this guy’s videos, and on this one you can look at the description, see the complation album this is on, and branch out from there to all the individual artists bandcamp & youtube channels for hours & hours of super relaxing musical enjoyment https://youtu.be/5zEu-IThZj4

1 Like

My listening tastes vary day-to-day, week-to-week, and run the gamut between digital and analog, and genres ranging from Classical/Instrumental to varying Electronic and EDM (as an over-all genre, not as a specific), to Thrash, Rock, Heavy Metal, and Industrial…and (shhh) yes, some Country although to me, if it isn’t Johnny Cash/Hank Williams Sr. & Jr./ David Allen Coe, etc., it isn’t “country”! :stuck_out_tongue:

Currently I am listening to 11 cd’s worth of “Dark Side Of The Moog”, and a couple early 70’s Klaus Shulze albums, but prior to that I was listening to a mix of 70’s Scorpions, UFO, and Montrose. JUST prior to that, I was on a Prog kick with Hawkwind, Yes, and King Crimson (especially Lark’s Tongue In Aspic, and Red).

I will say, I enjoy the “dark” music, ambients with low, bass heavy drones, dark soundscapes and soundtracks, stuff that sounds sci-fi-to-horror…anything that might bring to mind Giger or Lovecraft so to speak!

Just … No… DEATH METAL… !!! Sorry, love the musical aspect of the drums, bass, and guitars, but can’t stand not being able to understand somebody growling at the top of their lungs! :smiley: (welllll…I make an exception for Rammstein, only because I took 4 years of German in Highschool, and besides, it’s Industrial not Death Metal! :smiley: )

4 Likes

Listening to my son’s music :slight_smile:

His two albums - composer and guitar (and a little sitar). King Crimson/Rush/Zappa/Genesis influenced.

Playing bass in a Genesis cover band

3 Likes

Very cool! You must be proud Paul :sunglasses:

He’s much cooler than I am :wink:

Awesome! I too am into industrial, noisy dnb, and viking/power metal. And, even more weirdly, waaaaay back in the 90s my IRC nick was “nihil_sum.” :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’ve been listening to a lot of John Coltrane recently, including this amazing live version of my favourite things:

The soloing is amazing!

5 Likes

coltrane is a master and gets amazing tones out of his instrument. but I find it hard to get into his more free jazz side. modal jazz and world jazz is where it’s at for me.

1 Like

Fair enough. Any view on some of the modern jazz fusion groups such as Snarky Puppy? The Cory Henry solo on Lingus is pretty much perfection for me:

12 Likes

we like it here is actually the record that finally got me into jazz, and is a favorite!

and then i went on to discover ibrahim maalouf, avishai cohen (the trumpetist), martin medeski & wood, and sons of kemet, among others.

3 Likes

The last Notwist Live Album plays on repeat for a few days:

And the best Radiohead Album “Rainbows”.

3 Likes

cool modular music:

7 Likes

Lots of synthwave and lovely 80’s style music nowadays. Also a lot of metal and prog. Certain orchestral film scores get a lot of play too.

I go through different phases.

2 Likes

An epic soundtrack

5 Likes

I do love that album. So unique with so much feeling.

1 Like

I’ve recently been listening to a lot of Piano/Modular synth music - I really like the results that ensue from mixing an acoustic instrument with electronic elements, and a piano seems like a natural thing to do it with:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaverAle2010

Above are my three favourite examples of this combination - Thom Yorke reworking a Radiohead track from The King of Limbs, an amzing - yet underated - YouTube channel, and an album from an artist I discovered on Facebook

5 Likes

Experimental stuff from LA, mainly Dak/Dakim, D/P/I, Leaving Records

3 Likes