What are you listening to?

I’m now listening to Daughters thanks to others on this thread. However, I tend to listen to my Metal with Synths playlist, featuring Andromida, The Algorithm, Master Boot Record & more. These solo projects are my current inspiration in Rack & Bitwig. Some are guitars with synths and some are just combinations of crazy wavetables to make heavy sounds.

I also listen to Nine Inch Nails a lot. Going to see them in September and can’t wait!

1 Like

Is Pino still in NiN?

I started collecting all the Halos, and almost had the entire collection, up until mid 2000s when I was robbed and lost it all. Then I gave up. But for some reason I always have a copy of the Closer to God EP. Which was the first album I ever bought.

1 Like

Nope. I think Alessandro is playing bass now. It was a good run though. With Pino. Love some funky NIN

1 Like
1 Like

Watched one of those celeb goes shopping at Amoeba Records vids and it was Matt Berry who glommed me onto the Hot Rats Sessions boxed set so I’ve been listening to that on and off most of the day.

3 Likes

wow - my friends and I drove to LA to see Ponty in like 1975. Don’t think I ever saw the other two, but of course listened to them a bunch in the lineup of Returns to Forever that had both of them.

1 Like

How much stuff is on there? Is it worth it? I still have the LP I stole from my friend’s parents in the early 70’s. There are some other Zappa albums I like, but that one of for sure one that’s easy to like for people who aren’t Zappa fans.

Oh, takes me back. Aaand on tomorrow’s playlist goes: The Mission. I still remember, back in high school, during my drawing band logos years, that exchange student from the US who tried to give me a talk, a Christian one, about them. Because of what must have been “Carved in Sand” or “Children” on my Walkman. Wasn’t having it :slight_smile:

Here, two tracks from albums I had on repeat this last week:

3 Likes

six discs, loads of great sections of piano, great Frank solos and my favourite is when you get to hear snippets of Frank talking to the musicians and trying to help them locate or surpass the thing he has in his head for them to bring out. I don’t buy discs anymore so I’ve been streaming it all from Tidal and it sounds brilliant.

I tend to listen to his less out there stuff like Joe’s Garage, Apostrophe, Ship Too Late… but I do like some of his early adventures too like this, Lumpy Gravy, Only in it for the Money etc. I don’t usually have the patience for his obscure box sets like Thing Fish, but this Sessions set is eminently listenable, the great players help.

My faves are hot rats, uncle meat, and burn weeni sandwich. I heard a cover of “King Kong” on tv a while back (bridging between Zappa and ponyt, amirite?)

My entry into Zappa was Make a Jazz Noise Here. Double LP. Live. Mostly instrumentals. Same amazing band as the Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life and Broadway the Hard Way disks.

listening to it now. pretty cool.

I listened a lot to Jean-Luc back in the day. Cosmic Messenger was always my favorite.

And this Stanley Clarke track always gets me:

Holy cow, that Oathbreaker track is pretty violent :slight_smile: Reminded me of this one that gets the juices going every time:

How she transitions into the scream at ~8:00 had me (is there a goosebump emoji?) :astonished:. The album version delivers even more agony.

1 Like

I know, me too :grinning:

1 Like

One of my top favorite synth tracks of all time, sublime sequencing. By a guy you’ve never heard of, sadly…

4 Likes

Yeah, I really like those minimalist sequencer evolving pieces from back in the day. If I had just heard this piece without seeing who it was, I would have guessed Mike Oldfield.

1 Like

I had to check that wasn’t me. The guy in the still on the video looks a dead ringer for me around that time. But, I couldn’t afford synths until very recently so it wasn’t likely. When you’ve taken as many substances as I did in the 80s/90s you’re never sure about these things.

2 Likes

Me too. Serge was very good. This one here is his absolute masterpiece, IMHO. It’s a monster of sublime, slowly evolving movements, and it’s even only an unfinished part1 to a larger piece. It’s my number one of all time favorite synth pieces, I’ve heard nothing that comes close to it, but I’m very partial to intricate sequencing and symphonic pieces like this one…

2 Likes