What are you listening to?

yep. I found it on YT too

that’s the one! I think I got it when it came out. Along with all those others, above.

I mentioned Rain Parade because this track made a huge impression of me when it was released. I’d got sick of guitar bands all sounding the same - under produced indie jangle and over produced hair metal was big at the time - then along came this track that sounded like an alien spaceship powered by throbbing guitars. I’ve since heard a fair few of the sixties head bands that were their reference points, but I hadn’t at the time.

5 Likes

Man this song gets me every time

2 Likes

He produced this 1984 album, which was pretty hot stuff in that scene back then:

1 Like
3 Likes

Great ! There you just cannot sit quietly :smiley:

The album that opened the Rabbit hole for me:

Before hearing this I was only really into Industrial/Goth. But this album got me digging deeper into synthesisers, and led me to VCV.

6 Likes

So before this your wardrobe was all black, always loved Industrial/Goth music but never went full on Goth, saw The Mission in Sheffield in 87/88, Front 242, Fini Tribe, Nitzer Ebb were my Industrial listening.

Not really listened to Boards of Canada, missed these albums but now going back.

1 Like

Had a guy round Tuesday to replaster the kitchen ceiling and subject turned to music, was my age, early fifties and looking at him and having listened to the bog standard Radio 2 style show he was playing on his radio I thought he was going to be into eighties pop, but it turned out he was a full on goth, clothes with too many buckles ordered online, pilgrimage to Whitby each year, the works.

Never can tell these days. In a decade or two the old peoples homes are going to be rammed with ex punks. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Man, I can’t believe you saw The Mission. They’ve always been one of my favourite bands. I’m so jealous. Not alot of people know about them. But yes, the list is too long but I love that vibe. I’ve never been a fan of the culture (the black and eyeliner), but love the music.

I saw them a couple of times, at Keele uni on the Gods Own Medicine tour and at Reading headlining a few years later. I think it’s a shame that the Sisters only had that lineup with Wayne Hussey and Gary Marx for a short while, I guess you can only have so many egos in a band before things go south, just look at The Byrds.

This wasn’t too bad a lineup for £32 (and I didn’t even pay as I could get backstage via a mate)

Yes, very true. It’s usually the downfall of many great bands. Now you’ve really got me jealous :unamused::grinning:. You guys in the UK/Europe are so lucky. I should have emigrated years ago, even if just for the music :smile:. I’m in South Africa where the common music conversion goes : “so you listen to the rock music…”

Hah, first those of us in our early seventies will fill the old peoples homes with hippies and acid-heads :wink: Notice, I did not say “ex-” hippies but I could say ex-acid heads :rofl:

3 Likes

Loop, PWEI, House of Love, Wonder Stuff, The Sugar Cubes + Wedding Present. Green on Red, a good years line up!! All great bands. Even Tack Head. Wunderbar!!! New Order saw them in Birmingham NEC year before supported by Happy Mondays. My later youth years!

Even meet Noel Gallagher when he was a roadie for Inspiral Carpets in Sheffield Uni!

It’s a mystery to me how Bo Burnham’s “Inside” didn’t win big at awards time, one of the most focused creative takes on lockdown and he’s just released out takes on Netflix so there’s more good Bo and his woe.

Maybe people missed the joke(s) and took it purely on its depressive surface?

They escaped me as well before joining this forum. I don’t like most of it because of the hiphop-ism, but there’s some nice, moody ones, with quite a different, experimental sound. Love this one for example:

2 Likes

Hoped it was going somewhere, like this one from Royksopp.

I saw them on tour with Robyn and Susanne Sundfør. It was good!

1 Like

Love me some dark ambient! Great music to fall asleep to.