What are you listening to?

Nope, I have the first12 inch single, which I got in 1983, when it came out, before the other stuff had been recorded.

You did well to buy it on 12 inch three years before it was actually recorded

ooh, busted! oh, wait, discogs agrees with me as to the release date. This is the one I bought in 1983. It was, as I said, their first “single” (although I guess more properly called an “EP”). I think you keep thinking I am referring to the song you posted. Absolutely not, I do not have that, and have never heard it before. That’s what I meant by “I guess this is a couple of years later”. “This” was the song you posted, which is indeed a couple of years after the one I have.

Thank you for your service.

I got really confused by you saying “that first 12 inch”. If you’d said their first 12 inch or ‘the mini album’ I’d have been on the same wavelength.

At least we got that sorted out.

Next, world peace.

1 Like

Yep, my post was pretty ambiguous in that way (online writing is not easy!). Let’s get to work on that world peace thing, sounds like a good idea :wink:

I’m sitting here imagining how to simulate the physics of this thing:

7 Likes

My, that was good, that would be a good thing to have in vcv rack or even VST! Thanks for sharing.

If you haven’t you should listen to it on the “Concerts In China” album. It’s a fantastic album with stellar sound quality.

Have you tried if the PinkTrombone module can do it? It might…

3 Likes

Interesting! I will try PinkTrombone!

2 Likes
5 Likes

:smile: That’s great

This reminds me of my simulations of M-theory on Calabi-Yau manifolds. If the string end boundary conditions are Neumann, the particle is a gauge boson and massless (in general). If the boundary conditions are Dirichlet, the particle is a massive fermion. Drum head resonant modes operate similarly.

I’d say there are some non-linear things going on with this instrument.

Thanks for letting me know this thing exists , this whole album is FUN !

2 Likes

This is way outside my scope of math/physics education, but it is fascinating. I don’t get the part about bosons or fermions. I know something about integer spins and half-integer spins, and it has something to do with the Fermi exclusion principle for electrons.

I gather part of this has to do with boundary conditions as in differential equations describing movement on a string or membrane? I know both velocity and displacement must approach zero as you approach the rim of a drum head for example.

I would love to understand all this better.

1 Like

It is way outside of my education also. String theory didn’t really exist when I was in graduate school.

It is complex, literally… as in complex projective spaces. In the Calabi-Yau of string theory, the 6 compact dimensions are actually 3 complex compact dimension. You would probably recognize the 2D complex manifold as the complex unit circle in EE.

But it is just a hobby for me :wink:

Love this. Have you seen Jack Conte’s YouTube?

I can relate to that. I doubt few of us who are developing VCV Rack modules are doing it for the money. Oh, wait… what’s that? Is that a truck backing up dumping a load of cash on my lawn? Is it…? No, never mind. False alarm.

Seriously, I have been musing about complex numbers and what would happen if 3D vectors had complex-valued components instead of real-valued components. Like, what would happen if I applied the same Newtonian physics to such vectors? And could I make even wackier sounds as a result?

1 Like

yep, some good stuff there

Yeah. I was referring the physics string theory modelling and simulation being a hobby for me, but Rack module development is a hobby for me also. Everything is a hobby for me in my retirement :wink:

1 Like

RIP Wilko Johnson. I grew up in Essex (English county) and in the 70s Dr Feelgood were one of a tiny number of groups from my part of the world at the time that had any success.

did well to stick around since a pancreatic cancer diagnosis in 2013. His Q award acceptance speech is worth a watch.

5 Likes