Vult Free v2

Can you please elaborate why you think that this is a problem with the compiler? Does this also happen with a native Windows build (which, btw, also uses the mingw gcc compiler)?

@cschol Thanks for the update. I’m running Ubuntu 18.04, apparently I need to upgrade to 20.04 ?

Ubuntu 20.04 uses gcc 9.3.0. I build gcc 11 from source.

I’m using the Rack Pro developer’s beta, compiled by VCV, and the Vult files provided by @modlfo (including the commercial ones)

I get the same problem with Basal VCO discussed above. (I’m on Mac)

2 Likes

Interesting. I wonder if that goes the other way as well (Rack ↔ Plugin) and accounts for my problems yesterday. On my Mac (10.12 Sierra) I downloaded the Rack v2.beta-1 which installs and runs fine. I also downloaded the corresponding beta-1 SDK. I then downloaded the Bogaudio source from Github at the V2 branch. I built the plugin just fine, but when Rack was loading it, it kept throwing these “undefined symbol” errors.

Local compiler:

$ gcc --version
Configured with: --prefix=/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr --with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/include/c++/4.2.1
Apple LLVM version 9.0.0 (clang-900.0.39.2)
Target: x86_64-apple-darwin16.7.0
Thread model: posix
InstalledDir: /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin

Okay, thanks. So the situation now requires a home-built version of GCC, correct ? As you said, unfortunate, but I can do it. What options are you using to build gcc-11 ?

[Edit] If I understand correctly I will have to build v2 with gcc-11 if I want to run any proprietary plugins on a local build. Is that right ?

Can you please send me the exact “undefined symbol” errors? There is a known issue with the SDK that will be fixed in the next Beta release. I need to check that. Thanks.

The rack-plugin-toolchain uses crosstool-ng.. I recommend using that. Look at the Makefile.

Yes.

[0.859 info src/plugin.cpp:117 loadPlugin] Loading plugin from /Users/lab/Documents/Rack2/plugins/Bogaudio
[0.867 warn src/plugin.cpp:170 loadPlugin] Could not load plugin /Users/lab/Documents/Rack2/plugins/Bogaudio: Failed to load library /Users/lab/Documents/Rack2/plugins/Bogaudio/plugin.dylib: dlopen(/Users/lab/Documents/Rack2/plugins/Bogaudio/plugin.dylib, 6): Symbol not found: __ZN8bogaudio12FollowerBase17efGainMaxDecibelsE
  Referenced from: /Users/lab/Documents/Rack2/plugins/Bogaudio/plugin.dylib
  Expected in: flat namespace
 in /Users/lab/Documents/Rack2/plugins/Bogaudio/plugin.dylib

So, not “undefined symbol” but “Symbol not found”. I then started hacking out modules to see if it was just a minor problem with a couple of them, but each time got new/different “symbol not found” and gave up. I did eventually get it to make a plugin that loads though, with just one module, the analyzer.

[0.815 info src/plugin.cpp:117 loadPlugin] Loading plugin from /Users/lab/Documents/Rack2/plugins/Bogaudio
[0.823 info src/plugin.cpp:175 loadPlugin] Loaded Bogaudio v2.0.39

That’s a symbol that is missing from Bogaudio. The other errors are symbols missing either from gcc or the Rack SDK.

This has to be something else. Are you sure you did a clean build?

Christoph

This happens even when compiling directly on a windows machine. I hit this problem a long time ago and switched to clang which does not have that problem.

I have tried a few things, like compiling with -O0 and changing the code to use memset instead. Butt nothing seems to workaround the problem. I tried to not initialize the memory and fix any issues when reading the buffer by clamping the read values but that solution is not good enough since it can produce burst of noise when opening a patch.

In summary:

• gcc on linux works
  • clang on mac works
  • gcc on windows (including cross compilation from linux) crashes
  • clang on windows (including cross compilation from linux) works
1 Like

Yup. But it’s Ok, maybe Bogaudio is not up to speed with latest SDK.

I have updated the binaries in

This should fix the issues in Basal, Trummor 2 and poossibly others.

I have to recompile them using my old build system.

5 Likes

Sweet! Thanks Leonardo!

Thanks too from Win7 user :nerd_face: Both “ex-dysfunctional” modules (in fact, I just found the same problem with Trummor2 a couple of hours ago) work as expected now.

Bless your heart and liver ! The modules now appear in the browser as expected, will test some later today. Thanks a lot, Leonardo, you rock ! :slight_smile:

Thank you everyone for the testing. I believe that all the problems have been fixed. I have sent the binaries to VCV so they are available on launch day.

14 Likes

Yes!!! Vult on Launch day is a go!!! Congratulations Leonardo!

1 Like

I’m happy to report that in beta-2 Bogaudio from the library loads just fine, so that’s great. Still have the sneaking suspision that there’s something weird going on with compiler/linker versions when compiling certain plugins yourself, but not smart enough to put my finger on it. Anyway, as long as the library versions work against official Rack, that’s the most important thing, and that looks good so far.

3 Likes

You are posting this in the wrong thread, those modules are Hora Analog Drums.

It would make more sense to either create a new thread called “problem with Hora analog drums”, or contact the developer to let him know about this.