Voxglitch Community Feedback

I really appreciate the hard work you have done on the Groovebox and decided to share something that will go along with it just fine. This is a large collection of drum machine samples. I have no idea where I acquired all of these but I hope you enjoy them.

3 Likes

That’s amazing! It’s so nice of you to post that! I’m going to spend a little bit more time working on the expander, then attempt adding more parameter locks, including attack/decay. I’m really happy that you’re enjoying the module!

1 Like

Is there a trick to get the GATE but to remove the audio? (Mute seems to impact the gate and the audio.)

Maybe you could set the sample payback position to the end of the sample?

1 Like

Attack Decay oh yes. You know I had this idea to make a sample chain of 64 or 256 samples, kicks hihats, etc, all placed on a certain row/grid in one sample. With the offset parameter, you could then go through the start position of the chain and have a different sound at certain offset positions. The knobs now go from 0 to 10v right, so if you randomize the offset there are too many steps per knob and then the start position of the sample chain is often not correct. But in your digital sequencer, you have a snap function for the bars. If there would be a snap function for the offset knob for 32,64,256 and you make a sample chain of those same amounts of samples, then every knob change would be at the right start position of that sample chain. Sample lock created, am I right?

Sure, I can do that! I’ve been trying to implement the ability to adjust the beginning and end steps per track using a drag-and-drop style interface. Your request is far easier, so maybe I’ll put my work on hold and implement that for you. :grinning:

Attack and Decay – and the whole idea of having another row of parameter locks – is a daunting task. It’s sometimes difficult for me to choose which features to build and which to consider “nice to have”, especially since there’s so many more things that I want to explore!!

COOL!!

What about making the last pattern “wildcard”? A “random”?

Hi First thank for these awesome modules. Really fun to use.

Do you think it would be possible to have an input to change the presets on the fly. I play sometimes to modify the presets, that is to say to change all the samples at once, while sequence run, and it is really interesting even fun. Ideally, it would be to change only the samples set, not the sequence, but I guess it would be much more work.

1 Like

imho that won’t work,
when you have offsets with certain step settings, like 32, this would mean all 32 samples on these steps need to have the same size,
and the offset needs to know how long the sample-chain is to know how long a step is when you divide it by 32 e.g.
to start a sample that is at step 24 you need to have exactly the length of 23 steps for the samples before the 24th sample.

Or maybe I don’t understand how the offset and the snap function would work.

Hi @lozzec, unfortunately, I don’t think that I’ll be able to implement that feature. The issue is that the Groovebox loads the samples into memory when you select them. This ensures that there are no playback delays while samples load. Loading new samples during playback would likely create small playback pauses while the samples load.

However, secretcinema (Jeroen) may have found a work-around. He is planning on creating longer .wav files have have multiple sounds in them. For example, you could make a .wav file that contains 8 different snare sounds. Then he will use the sample playback position parameter lock to play the correct sample. (One issue might be that the sample wouldn’t stop at the right place.)

Oh… I have an idea! .wav file can have up to 16 channels. Typically only the first 2 channels are used for stereo left/right, but the others are available.

Channels

1. Heavy Kick Drum - left
  2. Heavy Kick Drum - right
  3. Alternative Kick Drum - left
  4. Alternative Kick Drum - right
  5. Fat Kick - left
  6. Fat Kick - right
  7. Slim Rim - left
  8. Slim Rim - right
  9. etc…
  10. Verb Room Kick - left
  11. Verb Room Kick - right

I could create a parameter lock that selects which channel pair is used for sample playback. You would have to do some work upfront to create the multi-channel .wav file, but it should work pretty well?

What do you think of my multi-channel solution proposed above? :point_up_2:

the idea is really nice,
but it is very unusual to have multichannel wav files.
I myself have never created one,
I would need to learn that first,
but it could work and be real fun :+1:

1 Like

If it helps, I just figured out how to do it in audacity.

1. First in preferences you have to select ‘Use custom mix’ in the Import/Export section.
  2. Then click File, Import, Audio… and select multiple wav files.
  3. Then click File, Export Audio, then select a file name.
  4. When the Advanced Mixing Options dialog appears, click ok.
2 Likes

I understand that loading a sample preset on the fly can result in imprecise timing and that it is difficult to release somthing with that.

However, the problem with multichannel or long wav files is that it requires prep work and doesn’t go in the direction of intuitive testing or improvisations. Unless you can find a tool to automatically generate this kind of wav file haha. But if it’s easy to implement it could also be a nice feature.

Actually I don’t know if you know the Massive sequencer in Reaktor (not the well know synth) that has this feature? It’s a 6 track sequencer. Each track is in fact a classic sampler with all the samples attached to notes. A modulation allows you to switch the samples as you would do with a keyboard. This gives really strange but amazing results.

Wouldn’t it be possible to have a second set (or even more) that are not visible in the UI, and that doesn’t need to be loaded as a preset ? Act as a cache sort of ?

I do think it would be possible, and I know that it would be an amazing feature, but it would be a tremendous amount of work for me to implement a second (or more) set of samples using the strategy that you are suggesting. Again, it’s a great idea, but I do this as a hobby and have to choose my battles wisely. Ha ha ha. Let me dwell on it for a little while?

Cheers,
Bret

Haha don’t worry, I’m aware you have a life on the side, and probably many other priorities. It is just nice to be able to “contribute” to the development of a module. The real pleasure is for me, whatever you do.

1 Like

Quick update for everyone! I’ve improved the mechanism for changing the track length and added the ability to change the track starting position as well. To summarize, there are drag handles now for the start and end playback position.

This will roll out probably in a week or two.

7 Likes

There’s a feature I’d use a lot but instead of pushing it to Bret’s coding table right away I would like to get some community feedback.

Currently probability settings impact the ‘enabled’ steps only. (See machine A below.) I’d like to propose a different approach (see machine B) that would allow firing ‘disabled’ triggers if the probability is set.

Basically A & B are doing the same but differently. Would you use it?

1 Like

I prefer having to click the button to have the step enabled. It is more explicit. It might be confusing if you had something triggering and weren’t on the probability view. You wouldn’t know why it was triggering until you look at the probability and see that there was a 1% chance of triggering.

4 Likes