Voxglitch Community Feedback

I would agree. I might not need the user to hold shift for the duration of the editing. I’m thinking of marking the focused track with blue or something…

(The red lamp shows the current playback position)

2 Likes

That makes sense to me

1 Like

If you are introducing shift click behaviour then could you have a latchable shift button too for users who are using the rack in tablet mode with just a pen or fingers?

If I go in that direction, I’ll make sure to add that as an option. I think that it’s unlikely that I will require the user to hold down the shift key while adjusting the parameters, so this should be a non-issue. :control_knobs:

1 Like

I know you’re working on other new & exciting things… can I renew the request for selectable output ranges for digital programmer? At the moment I’m having to unmerge the poly signal via another module to limit the ranges. It’s a bit messy & imprecise - I’d love it if Digital Programmer had this built-in!

2 Likes

Both noobhour Normaliser and Bogaudio OFFSET is polyphonic. Or would you like to apply different ranges for the different channels?

Absolutely! Let me push that higher in my to-do list. :+1:

2 Likes

Hi @trevormeier ,

I made your requested changes and submitted them to the library. Let me know if this works for you!

Cheers,
Bret

Here are the ranges that you can choose from:

std::string voltage_range_names[NUMBER_OF_VOLTAGE_RANGES] = {
    "0.0 to 10.0",
    "-10.0 to 10.0",
    "0.0 to 5.0",
    "-5.0 to 5.0",
    "0.0 to 3.0",
    "-3.0 to 3.0",
    "0.0 to 1.0",
    "-1.0 to 1.0"
  };
5 Likes

I see VoxGlitch was updated to 2.11.0. Would you share the changelog? Thanks!

Perhaps an un-intentional omission? It’s super easy to add a changelog to github and then link to it from your plugin.json.

1 Like

Absolutely! I’ll try to get in the habit of including a change log. Here’s what’s new:

• Switch licensing model to GPL-3.0-or-later. Updated the LICENSE file accordingly.
  • Added specific file selection for Cardinal compatibility. Also removed some unnecessary code that was causing compilation to fail for Cardinal.
  • Voltage range selection for Digital Programmer was introduced recently. I think it’s live now!

Nothing too exciting, but I’m making daily headway on the groovebox. It’s pretty complex. I don’t expect to have much to show for a few more weeks.

7 Likes

Super psyched about the voltage range selection being added to Programmer… and yep, it is live. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi everyone!

I could use some ideas. Here’s a rough sketch of a module that I’m working on:

The white and yellow squares near the bottom are “steps”, similar to a typical drum machine:

Each step can have different values for the parameters on the right. (Volume, Pan, Speed, Ratchet, Offset, etc.)

A typical workflow might be:

1. Enable a step by pressing a step button
  2. Tweak the parameters
  3. Repeat :point_up_2:

This could get terribly cumbersome if you want each step to have the same values. One solution might be: If the ctrl-key is held down and a step is clicked, the step inherits the parameter values of the previously selected step.

Is there a better solution?

Thanks for your brainpower!
Bret

5 Likes

I think something akin to multi-select for files or text would be intuitive. So, a single click selects the step and deselects other steps; control/command click adds the step to the selection. Any editing then applies to all selected steps.

You could combine this with control/command-dragging on the settings to enable relative changes. So if you have, say, three steps selected with different values, ctrl/cmd-drag offsets the values relative to their starting value. Dragging (without holding ctrl/cmd) sets all steps to the same value

1 Like

Hey man! There have been a few things I’ve been absolutely longing for in Rack V2, I’d be happy to share.

Wrong People Tourette-Style Sampler: Tourette was one of my favorite modules that sadly seems to be dead and will never come to VCV 2, I’d love to see something new like it- a 16-piece automatic sampler that captures bits of audio randomly into one of the pieces, which are played sequentially or randomly.

Synth Percussion Modules: Eurorack has an abundance of fun percussive voices- wavetable, FM, PD, modelling, etc etc etc. This is something Rack has always lacked, and I’d love to see more (even simple ones like Dinky’s Taiko- a wavetable with a cycling pitch envelope, noise, and parallel blendable wavefolding.) In particular, a “metal” voice made of 6 detunable pulse waves with cross modulation and the like would be a fun alternative to BIA for VCV Rack.

Bytebeat V2: I love the sound of bytebeat synthesis, and I’ve recently been playing around with an Arduino build that generates audio and clock triggers from bytebeat that’s super fun.

Satanonaut Mini: Satanonaut is one of my favorite modules you’ve built, I’ve mentioned this before but I love building fixed racks and the sheer size of this lad makes it difficult to fit in. A mini version would be fun stuff.

Thanks so much for all the cool stuff you make, hope these ideas help!

1 Like

Howdy! I love your ideas. The two that stand out as most practical, short term, are the Bytebeat V2 and Satanonaut Mini. Thanks for naming the Satanonaut Mini for me! Ha ha ha.

Would Bytebeat V2 simply have more equations? I could probably add more without breaking existing patches. It’s very time consuming to create (or adapt) equations to VCV Rack, which is why I haven’t done much more on it.

The other ideas are great too, and I’ll keep them in mind.

Right now I’m working very hard on the groovebox-style module. Apart from a snazzy front panel, reset, and CV selection of “Patterns” (multiple track memory), it’s seems fully functional. It’s been simplified and improved since I first posted about it. I’m incredibly excited about how it feels now. :slight_smile:

That and another project are taking up 100% of my time. I’m working every day for at least an hour on these (plus my day job). I might reach out to you once I have time to learn more about the Synth Percussion Modules. That sounds fun!

3 Likes

Happy to hear from you again, Bret. Can’t wait to see what you cooked up for us!

Some nice bits in this thread. On a more global note is there any open copy/paste JSON standard? And the bottom row with jacks at the top and knobs at the bottom seems like a good idea especially considering physical implementation. Ummm, a side vertical chaining insert module? I wonder how easy a menu option to rotate module 180 degrees would be?

Hi @jackokring, there is: Portable sequence standard (proposal) - #11 by marc_boule, although I’m not adhering to it yet. I just never got around to it.

Unfortunately, that would be pretty difficult. :frowning:

This module will get a “proper” front-panel design, not just a typical Voxglitch minimalist design. More on that later. Other good news: My prototype is working!

Here’s the front panel wireframes, for reference:

If anyone wants to start testing on an “early alpha” version, here’s a link to the Windows build:

I’m working off of this branch, which should be relatively stable now:

Quick tutorial:

1. Right-click to load up samples
  2. Supply a very fast clock.

I’m hoping that the rest is relatively self-explanatory, but let me know if you get confused. :exploding_head:

5 Likes