Voxglitch Community Feedback

I am not a fan of moving bars but I don’t care much. I’m more interested in applying SNAPping to the MOD input because I most likely will use the transpose for melodic variations. (And I use the built-in SNAP option as a pseudo quantizer.)

How are you going to use the transpose feature? What’s your plan, @secretcinema?

Yes, that makes sense. Snapping the mod input can apply to anything really. As for the Transpose, sometimes I want one bar to be up in a polyrhythmic manner. But when 8Face will be updated, there is no need for that in the sequencer.

1 Like

I forgot to include “probability” as one select-able options for the MOD input. :game_die: I’m not sure how it would work just yet.

Control-C and V are still broken, but the other keystrokes will still be there. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would exclude the ‘probability’ option from the Digital Sequencer XP.

I think a stand-alone Trigger Precision module would work better. :wink:

Ah, that’s right. :slight_smile:

Ok! What I decided to do is yank out the MOD input for now. Everything is looking good. Does anyone want to test it out before I submit it? It’s here: GitHub - clone45/voxglitch at development_branch

I was able to sneak in a last minute feature requested by @FiroLFO, which is: When you hover the mouse over the step inputs, you can hit “b” to enter a beat at the current playback position. This allows you to enter beat during playback using your keyboard. Nice idea! (If there’s already a beat at that location, it removes it instead.)

1 Like

Unfortunately I can’t compile it. Without a Win binary I have to wait for the official release.

No pressure, but here’s a Windows binary: voxglitch-2.8.0-win.vcvplugin - Google Drive :smile:

1 Like

Please note that I heavily edited my morning report but I thought it’s better to have a single post on my findings.

First impressions on DigitalSequencerXP:

• ‘b’ working fine (I’m dumping the BigButtonSeq module at last)
  • ‘f’, ‘g’, ‘r’, ‘shift-r’ all working fine as before
  • Ctrl-E, Ctrl-R, Ctrl-U, Ctrl-D, Shift-Ctrl-D, Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V all working as expected
  • mono STEP in working fine
  • poly LENGTH working fine with Bogaudio PolyCon16 & PolyMult
  • I love the set & forget method of LENGTH (once setting it the PolyCon16 module can be removed)
  • multiple DSXPs in a single patch working well together

Some points to review

• I find it confusing that a mono 5V on LENGTH sets the length of the first track only (instead of all track length )
  • I find it confusing that a ‘2-channel-poly STEP in’ sets the clock of 2 tracks only (instead of repeating the first clock for track 3-16)
  • I miss numeric shortkeys (see 1-9) to access track 1-9
  • I miss Ctrl-I to initialize all tracks
  • looks like Ctrl-Z (undo) ignores ‘r’ changes
  • I miss the quick clearance of a single track; (what about ‘i’ or my old proposal with ‘flipping-r’ to clear active track)
  • I dream of using ‘g’ during playback
  • I dream of changing column values by ‘u’ (up), ‘d’ (down), ‘shift-u’ (up all), and ‘shift-d’ (down all) according to SNAP settings
  • the most soul-killer task is setting all the ranges/snaps through the context menu (thinking on an expander module)

I’d love to hear what others may find/think… IMO it is a brilliant module! I definitely replace all old DS for this one in my templates!

Just for the record: the per step probability is working nicely with an external Bernoulli module.

Test DigitalSequencerXP wProbabilty.vcv (3.0 KB)

1 Like

yes please,. :slight_smile:

Hi @FiroLFO , thanks for the detailed review!

That is a bummer indeed. I was, at one point, building out an “All” menu with snap, range, and S&H which would set all of the sequencers at once. I didn’t follow through, but I can revisit that, especially with 16 sequencers instead of 6.

Ahhh… yeah, that was a bit silly of me. I should fix that. Thanks for the heads-up. I’ll get this done soon.

I’ll have to think about this. If you had clock inputs on channel 4 and 8, would channel 4 apply to sequencer 4,5,6, and 7? And would channel 8 apply to 8-16? Interesting.

I can restore these for you. Should I make it 1-8 / shift+1-8 for the ability to select all 16?

I’ll revisit all of these for you. I don’t think that Control-I ever worked, however now that you point it out, I’ll try to implement it. Ctrl-Z might be more difficult.

Thanks again!

1 Like

Only shortkey 1-8. That would be perfectly enough I believe. (I’d avoid the shift combination.)

No, I think channel 5,6,7 is 0V so track 5,6,7 should stop playing. Track 4 and 8 is stepping obviously. But I’m getting confused what I expect with track 9-16.

Actually I’ve just submitted a proposal on GitHub. :slight_smile: Probably no need to change DSXP code.

Just skip Ctrl-Z then. Even if you don’t change a line of code it’s worth for promoting it to the Library. DSXP is rock solid as is. It’s so good to work with it.

Undo is a nice feature though, sometimes you accidentally touch a bar and cannot undo it? All the other points, well done!!

2 Likes

I absolutely agree. I find myself accidentally touching the wrong bars pretty often. (In Digital Programmer, I decided to disallow “drawing” between bars. I’ve thought of adding that as an option in the Digital Sequencers.) I’ll see if it’s possible to implement an undo feature.

1 Like

There is one more issue in my workflow. I usually set the sequence length for all tracks in DSXP and then I remove the PolyCon16 (or whatever) module I used.

I save it and later reopening the tune I realize that one of the sequences (like 7th) should have been 12 step long (instead of 32). Is there a way to change it without ruining the other tracks?

1 Like

I suppose that I could add another menu item for each sequencer to set the length by selecting from a list of 1-32?

2 Likes

Thanks, for adding the length to the context menu. Yes, that’s cool.

Another technical question. I realized that I can’t get the length of a track to 32 steps with VCV LFO. I think currently anything between 0V-0.33V is converted to 1 step. But only 10V is converted 32 steps. It’s not practical.

Could you please make it more even?