=== very cool patch challenge, edition 50 ===

The spooky sound at 1:12 is great

I do a thing that sounds a bit like Tuvan throat singers with Braids and I wanted to have that as the ā€œvocalā€ but then this patch really started to run up against the limits of my machine so I cut it back a bit.

thx

1 Like

Five minutes too late but here it is!

This seemed like the perfect opportunity to test out my virtual drum kit, consisting of a bunch of CF Play modules playing free drum samples from

http://juddmadden.com/drum-samples.html

Vult plays a big role in this one, providing a two voice lead and a bass.

I would have wanted to do so much more but I keep coming back to this first version.

Link to video:

The patch can be downloaded here:

https://patchstorage.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/VCP-50-Rack-Metal-3.vcv

Enjoy!

4 Likes

Finally I managed to create a contribution for the Very Cool Patch Challenge. At least almost, because once again the deadline has passed, but it may be somewhere before midnight. However, the topic was heavy metal and although I listen to a lot of metal, I have never written a song like that, let alone produced it. The whole thing is therefore more fusion or whatever drawer you think is suitable. I put emphasis on the sound, which was not a problem with the drums, bass and guitar were quite a challenge, but I am satisfied with the result. In places you could really think that here real musicians play with ā€œrealā€ instruments. I wonder what you have to say about it.

4 Likes

Some of the electric guitars sound more like electric trumpets (or something) but other than that I like it. I wish iā€™d had space for a solo voice in mine.

edit to say that I like the electric trumpet sound. It wasnā€™t really a criticism.

1 Like

Stuff I really like about your piece:

• Kick and cymbals/hats drive the song nicely
  • The melody played by guitar nicely gains more and more volume adding ab to the base
  • From Minute 5 on the mix sounds far better than a lot of finished products I had to listen to, while still writing reviews (up to bigger labels such as Napalm Records or Nuclear Blast)
  • love the baseline at the end

In the beginning I feared that the song length would bore me out but nope, it didnā€™t! I can really imagine someone singin along or even adding some synthesizer Key-tunes. If you slow the whole thing down and add run the guitars through a noise filter, the composition could work as a black metal piece as well.

1 Like

Trumpets? Interesting :upside_down_face:

I CANNOT DESCRIBE HOW ANGRY I AM THAT I MISSED THIS WHOLE ASS CHALLENGE IT WAS FUCKING MADE FOR ME AND I MISSED IT LIKE A FUCKIN MUNGO FUCK

EDIT: whatever Iā€™ll post somethin anyways. A wise man once said ā€œFuck it, anarchy.ā€ and thatā€™s the type of energy I need

2 Likes

Steady on with the all caps :laughing:

1 Like

Note that @ablaut has not posted the official playlist yet so I say get in there. edit: having said that I thought this challenge was made for me and Iā€™m not that happy with my results.

this challenge is still open. so feel free to add your submissions.

because of the coronavirus situation (iā€™m in ā€œsoftā€ quarantine in a city near shanghai), and the consequences at work (teaching online, with a payment dispute about that), my head has not been in the game. iā€™ll let this challenge run until next monday, or march 9 if requested.

(and i am self-medicating with crusader kings 2 to take my mind off things)

9 Likes

Take your time. I was going to recommend a week off anyway.

2 Likes

Takecare of yourself Ablaut <3

1 Like

Get well soon!

Bon courage, ablaut.

well, no more submissions then?

1 Like