=== very cool patch challenge, edition 47: New Year 2020 ===

So, in the previous couple of challenges I’ve been slacking, simply because of Psychedelic December. But now we are in January I have time to spend more than a day on a track so here we go:

vcp-47-nowhere forever.vcv (1.2 MB)

If I weren’t limited to 20 modules I’d have added some moody chords but I didn’t. At this point I’m sort of desperate for a way of having an arbitrary number of lines of speech synthesised dialogue. 16 lines is fine but more is more. Maybe a module like 8face that lets you have an arbitrary number of named “scenes” that you can scroll between with triggers? The key moment in making this patch, in a lot of ways, was deciding to ditch the reverb. I’m thinking that it’s actually a good sound for this robofunk stuff. I don’t really know whether I’m getting better at using compression but I am using it more and the kick on this is pretty good (at least until it encounters youtube). Enjoy!

5 Likes

This is my entry. I made as short a version as possible. But I know I can even squeeze some hours from it. It plays mostly automatically, but I can’t keep my fingers off it and have to help it along a little.Listen at your own risk, this material contains clicks and pops that can make the disabled move and speakers break. https://youtu.be/qm3tSCkaSDs

vcp472.vcv (255.6 KB)

1 Like

Didn’t occur to me to save space with a semi-modular, ingenious.

I almost turned in this patch without Impromptu Semi modular, and yesterday I was thinking I was forgetting some big modules.Didn’t occur to me to use 8face on SAM although I have tried 8face on lot of modules. Ingenious. Lifechanging modules.

1 Like

Great, now I can’t decide whether I should arbitrarily declare scopes not to count. I guess they have to.

Hi, this is my contribution: It’s all about frequency and ring modulation.

Here is the patch: FM&rides.vcv (33.5 KB)

I hope you’ll enjoy! Here are some patch notes:

• 4 operators to AB+C to a 2nd AB+C.
  • The multiple is here to help making changes of algorythm on the fly and make them more readable.
  • The second A*B+C receives two sinewaves from EV3 as well (1carrier and one modulator; the modulator passes through a wavefolder before.)
  • To drive this patch a bit crasy here and there, I combine a dual envelope and a rampage for pitch modulation. They modulate them (LFO frequency, envelope’s attack and decay) eachother.
  • The 3rd voice of EV3 provides a rumbling and droning bass.
  • You’ll notice that I didn’t use any quantizer. It wasn’t really necessary since EV3 is self quantized and since I worked on a C based pitch with only ratios on the operators (0.125, 0.250, 0.5, 1, 2…).

Cheers. I’m looking forward diggin in yours! Denis

6 Likes

Great patch! Very west coast and cleverly crafted :slight_smile:

1 Like

you could count expanders and anything not having both in and out port(s) as half modules :wink:

1 Like

I don’t know why but I decided to do another entry. The scope is included in the module count.

vcp-47 mostly the combinations.vcv (121.1 KB)

What do we have? Sort of shoegazey bloopin’s n’ bleepin’s. I’m really beginning to appreciate the sound of delay without reverb. Very much it’s own thing. It’s tempting to say that this piece flirts with a minimalist aesthetic but really I just couldn’t fit any more stuff into it.

edit: Hey! I’m using that new poly oscillator! Good stuff.

4 Likes

Hi rackers, here’s my entry… patch link is in the video description…

6 Likes

@gbarygbarnes I liked it with the exception of the nails on the chalkboard which I think is coming from the Saws set in the 7th octave. Down 1 octave and I’d give it 5 stars.

2 Likes

heavenly

1 Like

Thanks Rick, just played around with this, if you lower it to oct 5 and turn the pitch down to minimum on clouds it become really chilled.

Thanks!

Great work Denis! Never underestimate what can be achieved with the early and basic techniques.

1 Like

Oh wow Gary! What a fantastic soundscape and great composition. Very enjoyable piece, well done!

Thanks! For sure!

Thanks Lars.

finally my entry for VCP-47 of VCV.
here I don’t count the expanders as modules.
The patch developes slowly and is pretty calm imho.

and here is the patch:

2 Likes

I made another one. Rebuked by the lack of interest in my “robot funk” styled pieces I made this generative piece with the new MarkovSeq:

vcp-47 generativerisk.vcv (30.8 KB)

The premise is that we have 8 quantizers set to slightly different intervals. The MarkovSeq moves between them in a somewhat random order. The first 4 mostly step linearly but the step between the 4th and 5th is about a 50/50 chance: does it move to the last five steps or start again from the beginning?

(incidently, would I get more views if I resumed putting patches on PatchStorage? I stopped doing it because it was inconvenient but I can start again if that’s what people want)

3 Likes