=== very cool patch challenge, edition 47: New Year 2020 ===

Very nice! You know you can light those blank panels, right?

1 Like

Oh my goodness, I did not! They look amazing, as well! This was my first time using blank panels. I will definitely use these again, going forward.

Thank you so much!

1 Like

Looks like everyone else is improving there background game. I need to move forward. Or just give up entirely.

If you needed a video editing suggestion, Blender isnā€™t hard to learn, in that capacity. I could message you a couple of tutorials I found particularly useful to get the effects I used in that recording.

As for mixed media inspiration, I just donā€™t overthink it too much. Follow your instincts and I have faith that your style will inspire others, but absolutely donā€™t give up!

1 Like

I use Blender. I tend to put the backdrops in while Iā€™m screen capturing with OBS. I did look at using the compositing tools in Blender but I couldnā€™t get the chromakeying to work in a way that I liked. I keep sort of looking sideways at Natron but itā€™s unmaintained and that bothers me.

1 Like

Iā€™ve only just started using OBS, so I havenā€™t used it for anything other than screen recording. I suppose, if I ever get fast enough in VCV Rack, I might start streaming myself building patches. Compositing would be a really great tool for that purpose.

I know what you mean about unmaintained projects though, but if they donā€™t have to interact with too many other programs to be effective, and theyā€™re stable, I donā€™t have problems using them.

Well, thereā€™s a few people on the forum here who stream on Twitch, so be sure to tell us if you do so that we can give you a ā€œfollowā€.

So, in the previous couple of challenges Iā€™ve been slacking, simply because of Psychedelic December. But now we are in January I have time to spend more than a day on a track so here we go:

vcp-47-nowhere forever.vcv (1.2 MB)

If I werenā€™t limited to 20 modules Iā€™d have added some moody chords but I didnā€™t. At this point Iā€™m sort of desperate for a way of having an arbitrary number of lines of speech synthesised dialogue. 16 lines is fine but more is more. Maybe a module like 8face that lets you have an arbitrary number of named ā€œscenesā€ that you can scroll between with triggers? The key moment in making this patch, in a lot of ways, was deciding to ditch the reverb. Iā€™m thinking that itā€™s actually a good sound for this robofunk stuff. I donā€™t really know whether Iā€™m getting better at using compression but I am using it more and the kick on this is pretty good (at least until it encounters youtube). Enjoy!

5 Likes

This is my entry. I made as short a version as possible. But I know I can even squeeze some hours from it. It plays mostly automatically, but I canā€™t keep my fingers off it and have to help it along a little.Listen at your own risk, this material contains clicks and pops that can make the disabled move and speakers break. https://youtu.be/qm3tSCkaSDs

vcp472.vcv (255.6 KB)

1 Like

Didnā€™t occur to me to save space with a semi-modular, ingenious.

I almost turned in this patch without Impromptu Semi modular, and yesterday I was thinking I was forgetting some big modules.Didnā€™t occur to me to use 8face on SAM although I have tried 8face on lot of modules. Ingenious. Lifechanging modules.

1 Like

Great, now I canā€™t decide whether I should arbitrarily declare scopes not to count. I guess they have to.

Hi, this is my contribution: Itā€™s all about frequency and ring modulation.

Here is the patch: FM&rides.vcv (33.5 KB)

I hope youā€™ll enjoy! Here are some patch notes:

• 4 operators to AB+C to a 2nd AB+C.
  • The multiple is here to help making changes of algorythm on the fly and make them more readable.
  • The second A*B+C receives two sinewaves from EV3 as well (1carrier and one modulator; the modulator passes through a wavefolder before.)
  • To drive this patch a bit crasy here and there, I combine a dual envelope and a rampage for pitch modulation. They modulate them (LFO frequency, envelopeā€™s attack and decay) eachother.
  • The 3rd voice of EV3 provides a rumbling and droning bass.
  • Youā€™ll notice that I didnā€™t use any quantizer. It wasnā€™t really necessary since EV3 is self quantized and since I worked on a C based pitch with only ratios on the operators (0.125, 0.250, 0.5, 1, 2ā€¦).

Cheers. Iā€™m looking forward diggin in yours! Denis

6 Likes

Great patch! Very west coast and cleverly crafted :slight_smile:

1 Like

you could count expanders and anything not having both in and out port(s) as half modules :wink:

1 Like

I donā€™t know why but I decided to do another entry. The scope is included in the module count.

vcp-47 mostly the combinations.vcv (121.1 KB)

What do we have? Sort of shoegazey bloopinā€™s nā€™ bleepinā€™s. Iā€™m really beginning to appreciate the sound of delay without reverb. Very much itā€™s own thing. Itā€™s tempting to say that this piece flirts with a minimalist aesthetic but really I just couldnā€™t fit any more stuff into it.

edit: Hey! Iā€™m using that new poly oscillator! Good stuff.

4 Likes

Hi rackers, hereā€™s my entryā€¦ patch link is in the video descriptionā€¦

6 Likes

@gbarygbarnes I liked it with the exception of the nails on the chalkboard which I think is coming from the Saws set in the 7th octave. Down 1 octave and Iā€™d give it 5 stars.

2 Likes

heavenly

1 Like

Thanks Rick, just played around with this, if you lower it to oct 5 and turn the pitch down to minimum on clouds it become really chilled.