=== very cool patch challenge, edition 45 ===

you are challenged to make a patch in vcv rack to showcase creative use of modules, so other users may get inspired. you can also win eternal fame!

this time the featured module is computerscare’s i love cookies

for a manual see https://github.com/freddyz/computerscare-vcv-modules#i-love-cookies

good luck!

== rules ==

• make a patch in vcv rack using the chosen module and upload your patch to https://patchstorage.com/ and/or in your reply to this thread
  • tag your upload with vcp-45
  • you are encouraged to only use free modules in the patch, but this is not required
  • make a video showcasing your patch and upload it to youtube
  • add a link to your video as a comment to this post (these videos will be collected in a playlist)
  • give feedback on other participants’ patches

deadline: monday end of the day, wherever you are, december 17th (though late entries will still be added to the playlist)

a new challenge with a different module will be announced every other tuesday.

5 Likes

:+1:

2 Likes

Here’s my entry to VCP-45

Just a small patch this time trying to capture that old b&w sci-fi series vibe.

Here’s the patch. https://patchstorage.com/the-twilight-tone-vcp-45/

11 Likes

Very cool trumpet sound.

2 Likes

and the phrases that the trumpet plays

1 Like

And, those phrases are just notes generated by the Random module. Sometimes happy accidents occur.

1 Like

In Edition 45 of the Very Cool Patch Challenge we should use the “I love cookies” module from computerscare. I knew sooner or later I will deal with these modules. I have to confess, so far the design has deterred me. Yes, it’s funny, but too cluttered for me. But I think I did not make friends with it, but the modules are way too good to ignore. Of course, once again I did not just use the required module, but all the modules of the developer. What came of it really surprised me. Incidentally, the title is again Frankish and means in high German “viele Plätzchen (many cookies)”, where “Plätzchen” is one German word for “cookies”. :metal::sunglasses:

9 Likes

What a scary collection of modules

10 Likes

This one was a real learning curve for me but pleased with the end result.

Patch is here: https://patchstorage.com/nouadhibou-vcp-45/

7 Likes

love this.

1 Like

Nice piece and sound design, well done.

Amazing work. Took me somewhere else.

Very nice, journey music!!

This one turned into a bit of an adventure for me. I started this patch when the challenge was announced. When I came to listen to it the next day I hit a bug in a module (since fixed) that messed up my playback. I had a little look into the plugin source, and fixed the bug on my local copy. The plugin owner said a better fix was imminent so I decided to wait and ended up passing the time by writing my own first VCV module “For Four”.

With that finished, I revisited my patch and tried to build around variations of a core riff and gradually changing drum patterns. I ended up with a patch I call “And Coffee”.

VCP45-AndCoffee.vcv (57.4 KB)

5 Likes

I don’t know if you’ve noticed but I’ve been doing a series of streams and Youtube videos called Psychedelic December. For various reasons I don’t, now, want to submit a separate entry to VCP. So here is one of the PsyDec days where I experimented with I Love Cookies:

vcp-45.vcv (61.8 KB)

It’s another phazing piece. But this time with Atoms.

Also, if you wouldn’t mind taking a look at my Psychedelic December vids that would be appreciated. There’s plenty of good stuff there, some of it also using cookies and, if I can, I will do a video for every day of December. Here’s the playlist:

2 Likes

Here is my entry for this challenge, and what a challenge it was! This is really a powerful module! I’m sure I only scratched the surface of what it can do, but it already yielded some very interesting results, I will have to dig into it some more.

Here are two videos of the patch, the first one a bit more throaty, slowed down and I Love Cookies controlling more of the drums, the second one a bit more ‘normal’ with more steady drums (I must say I prefer the first)

The patch can be downloaded here:

https://patchstorage.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/VCP-45-I-Love-Cookies.vcv

Enjoy!

2 Likes

Hi, This is my little contribution to this challenge. I must say that thos computer scare modules are really fun and powerfull. They also work perfectly together. I just don’t understand why the cables output from The trigger mixer and sequencer are polyphonic. But here it is. IMO "I love cookies " can be a powerfull arranger for scenes. I didn’t really use it that way though. The only little trick was to create a varying fill for the last step of the fixed bass sequence by selfpatching a fast sequence into the V input with is the last step of the Bass sequence. I set a sequential switch to fix a different envelope decay for each step of this sequence. A long one for this last step. Hope you’ll enjoy!

Here’s the patch: Mom’s cookies.vcv (118.6 KB)

8 Likes

Nice, simple, clever. I love this one!

1 Like

Wow! I’ll have to dig into it a bit to understand how you set up this patch! Incredible! Awesome work… As allways! Bravo !

1 Like

I did a feature request on GitHub to have an option in the menu for monophonic behaviour for Father & Son and he said he would implement this idea in the next update. He answers very quickly too!