=== very cool patch challenge, edition 37 ===

since i’m going on holiday to a remote place with spotty internet access at best, i am announcing the next challenge a couple of days early

you are challenged to make a patch in vcv rack to showcase a particular module in a creative way, so other users may get inspired. you can also win eternal fame!

this time the featured module is: WhatTheRack’s WhatTheRack
see https://github.com/korfuri/WhatTheRack

special rules for this edition:

• empty your patch
  • add just the WhatTheRack module
  • hit the question mark once
  • try to use all the modules given
  • add up to three modules of your choice
  • have fun!

if most of the modules given don’t inspire you, you can start again from scratch

== rules ==
• make a patch in vcv rack using the chosen module and upload your patch to https://patchstorage.com/ and/or in your reply to this thread
• tag your upload with vcp-37
• you are encouraged to only use free modules in the patch, but this is not required
• make a video showcasing your patch and upload it to youtube
• add a link to your video as a comment to this post (these videos will be collected in a playlist)
• give feedback on other participants’ patches

deadline: monday end of the day, wherever you are, august 19th
(though late entries will still be added to the playlist)

a new challenge with a different module will be announced every other tuesday.

4 Likes

My What the Rack loaded a What the Jack… Can I use it and replace it? :rofl:

3 Likes

Hi every one, here is my contribution to the Very Cool Patch, edition 37.

Enjoy :blush:

Bonne journée !

The links :
my VCP-37 on Youtube

my VCP-37 on PatchStorage

Very cool ! I like it ! It’s inspiring :slight_smile: now i want to take part in the challenge too hihi
Bon boulot :wink:

1 Like

The rack I got is really tricky! I’ll have to be very creative to get something out of it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Courage :blush:

What the Rack and Jack are quite a combo;), good idea!

My contribution to the Very Cool Patch Challenge 37. This time it was pure coincidence which modules are used. We had to use WhatTheRack by Korfuri to get random modules and we where allowed 3 additional modules of our choice. Because there is also a module from Korfuri called WhatTheMod I randomized even this. I also tried WhatTheJack for random cable connections, but that naturely doesn’t work so good, so I had to choose connections by myself. But either way, it was a lot of fun, because there are many modules I never had used before. :metal::sunglasses:

https://patchstorage.com/whatthepatch/
2 Likes

Très beau travail ! Bravo :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

The selected modules were a struggle for me. I only added NYSTHI Mix8, VCV Sequential Switch 1, Amalgamated Harmonics Quantizer.(I do not count the VCV Rec which is necessary to get a recording) There is static apparently from the patch itself, not the engine or the recording process. This was indeed a challenge.

patch: https://patchstorage.com/what-the-rack-vcp-37/

1 Like

Hi, Here’s my contribution to this challenge. The rack I got was quite tough to mess with. The three modules I added to it are the Hex-mix (because WTR didnt give me a proper one), Sample and Hold by ML and Hetrick’s “Boolean” to get more variations in rhythm and melody changes. I used the 16 envelopes modules (four groups of different settings) in conjunction with the Dbiz Matrix mixer and four MOD output from the Trowasoft’s Multiwave. Bohingler is the main sequencer driven by boolean receiving three sources from caudal. The result is quite strange since the multiwave doesn’t seem to follow v/oct properly. Sorry for the low quality of the image.

Here’s the Patch WhatTheHell2.vcv (60.1 KB)

Cheers

2 Likes

Bon travail, Cy Bal :slightly_smiling_face:. Ce n’était pas facile !! (Good work, Cy Ball. It wasn’t easy!)

1 Like

Un égrènnement de sonorités inédites, brillantes et pleines, et surtout, un rythme maîtrisé dans la conduite de la performance qui ne fatigue pas l’oreille. Une très belle réussite, Denis Tercier :slightly_smiling_face:. Bah, je savais que je ne serai pas déçu. (sorry, my english is awful - “A mix of new, brilliant and full sounds and, above all, a controlled rhythm in the conduct of the performance that does not tire the ear. A very beautiful piece, Denis Tercier. Well, I knew I wouldn’t be disappointed -”)

1 Like

Houhou! Really deeeeeeep sounds. That’s great. Désolé, je n’ai pas trop le temps de regarder ce patch de plus près mais ça sonne d’enfer ! Bravo !

This is funny! Challenging, isn’t it? I especially like the bass sound. Comes from acid?

1 Like

Thanks Denis. It was certainly challenging. I could not believe that I found a way to use everything.
The bass does come from ACID.

this one is proving to be a real problem, at least partially because some modules aren’t designed to be used alone. For instance, I got one of these:
https://dhemery.github.io/DHE-Modules/modules/hostage/
fantastic modules that i use pretty often but one Hostage on it’s own doesn’t do much. Anyway, i’ve rerolled a few times and got some modules that can work, but what the hell to do with them I don’t know.

here is my contribution for the VCP-37

this time was really hard, and the rack was nothing funny :wink: but I decided to stay with it and try to get something out of it. I added the SquinkyLabs Mixer and Valley Plateau. and I tried to use all modules, but …

So I came up with some different patches, and I decided to make 2 contributions.

here is the first one: What the rack

and here is the second one: aliens campfire listen a bit and you’ll understand the title :wink:

I hope these aren’t too bad

here are the patches:

VCP_37_rsmus7_1.vcv (33.1 KB) VCP_37_rsmus7_2.vcv (33.9 KB)

denis.tercier Well Done! This could be the trailer for an outer space horror movement.

@Marc_Brafman Good work. It seems this challenge brings out the cinema/horror/thriller kind of sounds.

@the1andonlydrno Very nice! Almost baroque with the addition of percussion.

@rsmus7 These are well done. Certainly better than not “too bad”.

@jedrzejewskimk These random modules do lead us to spacey/horror sounds. Good job.

@dag2099 Another good job! thanks.

@ablaut Not boring at all. Nice ambience to me especially considering the difficulty that we all faced.

2 Likes

2 contributions ! Bravo :cool::musical_keyboard::slightly_smiling_face: