=== very cool patch challenge edition 30 ===

you are challenged to make a patch in vcv rack to showcase a particular module in a creative way, so other users may get inspired. you can also win eternal fame!

this time the featured module is phased locked loop by frozen wasteland
see https://github.com/almostEric/FrozenWasteland/blob/master/README.md#phased-locked-loop-pll

and i recommend looking up the hardware module it is emulating to get a headstart on how to use this module: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=doepfer+a196+pll

== rules ==
• make a patch in vcv rack using the chosen module and upload your patch to https://patchstorage.com/ and/or in your reply to this thread
• tag your upload with vcp-30
• you are encouraged to only use free modules in the patch, but this is not required
• make a video showcasing your patch and upload it to youtube
• add a link to your video as a comment to this post (these videos will be collected in a playlist)
• give feedback on other participants’ patches

deadline: monday end of the day, wherever you are, may 6th
(though late entries will still be added to the playlist)

a new challenge with a different module will be announced every other tuesday.

4 Likes

I really didn’t expect to be first this week but here we are.
The challenge with the pll is, obviously, to make a subtle, nuanced and delicate piece of ambient music that a person can sit and enjoy on, say, a lovely Sunday afternoon at the park.
Tea. Cakes. Sandwiches. You know, the kind of music that would elevate a nice picnic.
I have, of course, completely ignored this challenge and, instead, offer about four minutes of screeching noise. Somewhat melodic noise, perhaps, but noise nonetheless. The sort of terrible racket that would get both confused looks and terrible condemnation if you played it during a picnic.
I mean, it is me doing it. What do you expect?

https://patchstorage.com/vcp-30-set-phazors-to-spfffffwaaaaah/

2 Likes

@dag2099 cool patch! It’s super hard to make PLL output something melodious, great job.

I tried hard to get PLL to make cool sounds but all I got was horrible screetching. I was actually surprised, because videos of the hardware version seem to show a lot more potential for cool sounds than what I was able to get from the software version. It feels like the hardware version of the module converges towards a frequency much faster and actually locks onto it, whereas the software one desyncs from the reference randomly even with stable signals. So I decided to not use the module for audio, and instead to use the desyncs as a sequencer. It worked better than I expected.

https://patchstorage.com/hissing-locked-loops/
4 Likes

Hi [C]rackers, This is my contribution to this challenge. I found this module really tricky to use in a smooth musical way… so, it’s what I tried to do!! Thank you again Ben to make us discovering modules.

Here’s the patch: ALLsquare.vcv (40.2 KB) If you want to see my other patches: deniou, Author at Patchstorage

2 Likes

Really cool! I didn’t manage to get PLL to sound anything close to this nice! Congrats.

1 Like

@korfuri I’m realy like this patch. It’s a cool idea. Like thie brass section. Nice diging. It’s look simple and bright. I love simple patches :slight_smile: Good job.

1 Like

if you have a hard time with this module, you may want to check out “What does this knob do?” Episode 7 :metal::sunglasses:

3 Likes

Obviously I like horrible screeching but one thing I did for the first time here was use the one band parametric eq. It’s great for taming the fizzier top end noise (as well as a load of other stuff). Nice patch. I probably wouldn’t have thought of PLL as a source of randomness.

here my entry for the VCP-30

I tried what I could do with the PLL (I have no idea if I used it as it is intended ) and I tried to use as much Frozen Wasteland modules as possible. Aepelzens gate sequencer is driving and stopping clocked in this patch :wink:

So please listen ( it slowly evolves) and have some fun

the patch: VCP-30_rsmus7_overdriven.vcv (246.3 KB)

5 Likes

Thank you! Man! I spent a couple of hours to find some sweet spots! It really drove me crazy! :wink:

“The Kraken Wakes”

My entry for vcp-30 using the Phase Locked Loop module. I am afraid my computer had problems at times with this patch but I hope there is enough to hear its potential (there are a few glitches). I am not sure the PLL will be one of my go-to modules but it is always interesting to try modules formerly unknown to me.

vcp-30 pll the kraken waves.vcv (108.6 KB)

1 Like

Really really nice. As I expressed on my entry I am not sure it is my kind of module but you have used it really nicely. I am also intrigued because you are using a lot of modules i haven’t explored yet. I had a problem with the modules “screechiness” but the way you have used it it has become melodic and textural. Great patch.

@denis.tercier: really interesting soundscape. I agree it was quite difficult to use in a musical way but I like the abstract nature of your piece. Almost Stockhauseneque.

@korfuri: it seems that many of us had a problem with the module’s inherent screechiness. I confess I really like the underlying piece without the PLL processed sound. As i mentioned with my entry I don’t think it will be a go-to module. Short and succinct and enjoyable to listen to.

@dag2099; Love your preamble. It made me laugh. Makes me think of the fairground ride on very bad acid. Lots of really good dynamic and textural variations but, as you say, not exactly melodic.

I composed mine without seeing what others had done and what astonishes me is the amount of variety. Everyone has used the module in a different way. I think this challenge, mine pales in comparison to everyone else’s. It doesn’t really matter though because it is all about taking me out of my comfort zone and it certainly did that. Well done everyone on, what I thought was, a very challenging challenge.

2 Likes

My contribution to the Very Cool Patch Contest Edition 30. Of course, I wanted to use all modules of Frozen Wasteland and apart from Portland Weather, I also succeeded. But this has simply forced my computer to its knees. Unfortunately, I was not able to create a live video again this time, so I really hope the problem will be solved with VCV-Rack version 1.0. I have used 5 PLL and they are responsible for all sounds except the drums. :metal::sunglasses:

2 Likes

Damnit, I wish I’d known that JW-scope did that cool lines thing when you turn of lissajous mode with two plls plugged in.
Also, nice patch.

VCP-30 Wobbling Heads

Dear Rackheads

Today I present my entry to last VCP number 30. This time on workshop we have PLL Internal VCO from Frozen Wasteland. This is a very curious module. you can use this thing to generate some strangra and odd sounds (this is mad maschine) or control another modules by sending cv signals. In my patch you find both ways to use that module. Well, during the creation of this piece, I had the effect of a shaking head (where do I know him? Oh, from Omri’s movies :)) Now you known what this title is from :slight_smile:

VCP-30 Wobbling Heads.vcv (89.2 KB)

On Patchstorage page VCP-30 Wobbling Heads | Patchstorage

1 Like

Hi, I had pleasure to listen to all of your patches. PLL is really a wildlife module and it was interesting to see how every one set the balance of its use in their patch. @dag2099. Your patch look as a deep observation of the behavior of this module. A bit boring musically speaking but very instructive. @korfuri. I like the way you used this module to drive the sequencer and as a pitch information driver. Very original. I wish I had thought of it myself. @rsmus7. I love this patch. You made a very subtle an balanced use of the PLL. Sounds quiet but with great tensions underneath. Well done! @Jamuud. This is a nice patch. But I’m surprised that you didn’t use the lpf output of the module. This is the most interesting one. @the1andonlydrno. Wow. This is a hell of a patch. You achieve to take allways a “relevant” sound in a musical way from this wild module. For me you’re by far the winner of this challenge. :wink: @jedrzejewskimk. Yeah man. This is really good! I love the way you arranged the patch. Those PLL modules witch are providing those glitchy sounds like a landscape beyond the music. Personally, I haven’t used it as a modulator, but I wish I had. Great job.

Thanks again to Ben for hosting this challenge and to all the participants for sharing their experiences. Have a nice week.

3 Likes

playlist at:

thanks everyone for participating! pll is indeed a curious and deep module that seems to closely guard its secrets. i plan on dissecting your patches at some point to analyze different uses of this module.

2 Likes

Note to self 1: It seems that being the first to submit gets you to the head of playlist.
Note to self 2: Be especially careful not to share this information with your competitors lest they realize your unfair advantage.
Note to self 3: DOH!

2 Likes

i have a very convoluted process to build the playlist… :crazy_face: i open all the submissions from the top down in tabs, and add them to the playlist in order

crazy, i know

1 Like