VCV Reverb and Convolver

Add space to your patches with VCV Reverb and Convolver.

Includes 13 reverb presets and 26 impulse responses, or load any mono/stereo WAV IR.

Free update for VCV Rack Pro owners.

47 Likes

Nice! Thanks Andrew, looking forward to playing with these.

2 Likes

Thanks Andrew, nice addition to the collection. I’ve already burn my CPU using the Convolver stretch in the menu! Stretching more than 1000% is really heavy on my setup (MBP 2021 16go RAM)

Yes, the salty downtalked user again:

Just for your information: The Convolver module does not reload its IR, even after saving your project. It loads only with an empty state! It shows the name of the file only!

OSX 10.13.6, 2.2.1 with 2.1.0

1 Like

Thanks for the plugins. They’re excellent!

1 Like

It works ok for me on linux.

experimenting with recording IR on the fly :smiley: :smiley:

5 Likes

Here’s how to setup what’s known as True Stereo convolution reverb using VCV Convolver; for this you need two stereo impuse wavs, one being a stereo capture of the left impulse source (L) and the other being a stereo capture of the right impulse source (R):

8 Likes

Looks cool! Seems like Pro version gets most of the love now, which is understandable. I will definitely buy it when the opportunity arises

Yes ! I am having a lot of fun and interesting results with that too.

I like the rhythmic nature of the changes that occur when the IR is recorded, but I think I’d also really like to have a way of crossfading between old and new IR. I’ll maybe try to patch that with two Convolvers, but a way to do that with only one would be incredible (something like “fade time” in Nysthi’s Simpliciter ?). Anyway, like those two new modules a lot, the Convolver is a great great addition IMO.

1 Like

Convolution is a bit “fixed” by nature as the sample has to be reprocessed. another way to reach what you want is to record an IR from two Xfading sounds (but the the Xfade will be always the same.

I found filtered low rez digital noise gives great results as IR for freeze/granular effects!

1 Like

Yes indeed, but I think it may could be possible to create a transition phase during which the convolver uses a IR that interpolates between old IR’s and new IR’s amplitude for each sample, for the duration of the transition, starting when the new IR is recorded and ending at the end of the transition phase, with say amplitude “0” for samples of the new IR, where the new IR is shorter than the old one and it already “died out”, or something like that.

I will try that low Rez digital noise trick ! On my side I have enjoyed using a night owl singing voice as a IR, and using "reverb IRs as percussion samples.

How about feeding the same input to two different Convolvers, each with its own IR. Then cross fade between the two Convolver outputs. Perhaps a bit CPU intensive, but it should work well.

2 Likes

Does the Convolver come with its own IR samples or do you have to provide them?

2 Likes

I love the convolver!

I’m getting weird periodic spikes in CPU usage from it, though (see screenshot) - I’m using an IR from a 3rd party, but it’s a proper file, nothing weird about it.

Has anyone else had this happen?

cheers,

-j-

Screen Shot 2023-08-18 at 4.10.53 PM

I reported this to support@vcvrack.com, you should also submit a report to them.

1 Like

With any block processing like this you either need to make a worker thread, or have processing spikes. Don’t know if that’s what’s going on here.

Had a patch going that was using ~42% Max CPU. Patched in a VCV Convolver and CPU usage shot up to 115% with spikes up to 210%, causing clicks and crackle in the sound whenever it went north of 175%. Removed Convolver, back to 42% max. Patched in Nysthi Convolver, that uses 0.9% CPU and overall I am at 43% max. Same Church.wav used in both convolvers. That makes the VCV Pro Convolver unusable to me. Even spikes to ‘just’ 75% are not OK in my book…

Edit: Just retested on arm64: This patch uses 32% max CPU, just connecting Convolver and loading the included Church IR makes max CPU go to 44%, as soon as it is actually doing work to 75% with spikes to 105%. Still way more than any reasonable convolver should use methinks, that is more than whole rest of patch combined.

I do mention the spike problem in my very old paper on writing efficient plugins: https://github.com/squinkylabs/Demo/blob/main/docs/efficient-plugins.md

It’s a little surprising that VCV is performing so badly - their stuff is usually super efficient. You might try sending an email to support - maybe there is a way to get around this problem.

While I’m promoting myself, there are a bunch of articles there. Some are pretty bad, some are pretty good: GitHub - squinkylabs/Demo: A collection of code and articles of interest to VCV users and developers.

1 Like