VCV Recorder: Recording video with new VCV record module

The new record module works great on audio! When I try to record video, the VCV Rack screen stutters a great deal… Yet, the recording comes out ok.

But, this has an unusable situation for me as I use Tact modules to “perform” the patch. With the stuttering, it’s just not workable. I do have OBS as an alternative.

Any suggestions on remedying this??

Thanks! John

1 Like

lowering the framerate might help

Thanks! I’ll give that a shot.

For those on Windows 10, the Xbox Game Bar seems to work great with minmal fuss.

1 Like

I’m trying Xbox game bar but not getting audio i seem to be on the recommended settings?

and if anyone can help with connecting the VCV rack record module that would be great! part of the fun I guess is having to hunt this stuff down I

The “XBox game bar” is unrelated to VCV Recorder.

To connect the VCV Recorder module, simply connect an audio signal to its Left and/or Right inputs.

1 Like

thanks for replying so quickly yes I was just trying two routes at once. The recorder module works now.

It will only record the inner window of Rack.

Everyone, it’s 4 years later and I am still having the exact same problem the OP mentions here.

I have recorded videos successfully before within VCV Rack on this same computer, so I wonder if it’s something about the particular patch I am trying to record that is causing issues.

I tried lowering the frame rate as someone suggested earlier in the thread, it did not help.

Any other tips on this video recording problem?

Thanks in advance…

The usual tuning suggestions.

Can you elaborate? What should I tune? Sample rate? Threads? I am somewhat of a n00b.

Thanks.

Can you give some more info, your os, pc etc.

Did you try the tips above?
Did you try OBS?

Mac Mini M1 running macOS 12.6 (Monterey) and VCV Rack 2.2.3.

I tried the frame rate suggestion. i don’t think the Xbox suggestion applies to me. I did not try OBS. I did try quicktime and that did not record the audio. There may be a trick I can do with BlackHole but I haven’t succeeded with that as of yet.

sorry, no mac user here, but I would try OBS (Xbox is only for win)

Easy-peasy. Open AudioMIDI Setup app and create a Multi-output device. That you add your normal audio output device as well as blackhole to to output to. Set Rack to use the Multi-output device and set Quicktime to grab the blackhole audio as well as record the screen or window with Rack. That is all that is needed. Works like a charm.

3 Likes

Thanks. That works!

I just saw this after struggling with OBS which I also got to work, but it took quite a bit of time. Quicktime just works fine once VCV is outputting to the multi-output device and the default sound output device is also set to that, and so is quicktime.

2 Likes