ArpHarmony Challenge (March 2024)

Same here. For me, it seems to be directly related to the Rack window size. I can get better audio during a recording if I reduce the size of the Rack window quite a lot. (I can edit in Rack when it fills the screen of my 4K monitor, but when recording, I shrink the window to at least 25% of the screen).

I compensate by zooming the modules so they still fill the window. This usually means they are so teeny that I can’t read labels - but that’s usually OK since I only have a handful that I need to tweak during the recording and I don’t need to see them all that well. The resulting recording is usually rendered such that the modules don’t appear to be small at all.

1 Like

Oh, it’s a well known fact. It’s because the recorder is in the signal graph as all the audio stuff. So it and plugins take too long and a cause a glitch, the recorder isn’t going to record it. Time stops for everyone when that happens.

2 Likes

Here is my submission for the ArpHarmony Challenge (March 2024)

This is a “duet” between my Meander module and the Squinktronix Harmony and Arpeggiator modules. Meander provides the chord progression and various rhythms as well as playing an accompanying melody and arp in the same key as Harmony and Arpeggiator. Meander provides the progression chords root to Harmony. Arp provides an arpeggiation of the Harmony 4 voice chords. There is a lot of parameter automation going on for Meander. This is in A-maj (Ionian) and is a traditional 12 bar blues progression. BASICally provides two scripts to translate between Meander mode and root and Harmony mode and root so that Harmony plays in the same key a the Meander.

Squinktronix ArpHarmony Challenge Blues.vcv (13.3 KB)

12 Likes

Sorry for misspelling Squinktronix! I just now noticed :crazy_face:

1 Like

I have the same issue, with most of my patches any attempt at screen recording renders the patch / performance unusable. I’m on a MBP M1 Pro with 32gb ram and still get into Pinwheel hell when I try to use the record module along with a patch that is generating. Also FYI my patches are running on single thread usually at below 50% CPU so not sure why this is happening. If you are on a Mac I’ve had better luck using Quicktime although not as easy it seems to be stable for me. Just a thought.

check this thread:

1 Like

thanks for the tip

It’s beautiful! It may be a 12 bar blues scheme, but it also sounds very classical at the same time.

3 Likes

Ok here is my small contribution for the ArpHarmony March 2024 Challenge. The sequence is called “Finnish Ruisleipä”, which literally means “Finnish rye bread”. I think the sequence is pretty dry. That’s why the name. BTW…Squinktronix Plugs" are pretty neat and I use them a lot when it comes to arpeggio stuff. It actually took me a long time to get these plugins to work for me. But that was another highlight.

To start this Patch.

Hit Spacebar to reset all the stuff. Click on the Master fader. 8Face has 8 snapshots 1 to 8 For me I Start with 2,3,4,5,6,7,8 (from Top to down) This is just for to mix the faders.

Finnish Ruisleipä.vcv (2.0 MB)

17 Likes

Very nice.

I really enjoyed it. See Meander after a long time. thanks for your patch.

1 Like

Hi, here’s my entry. Unfortunately I wasn’t paying super close attention when I was recording the video and I didn’t realize it was over 5 minutes until I uploaded it but I don’t feel like you really miss anything by ending it early the way it’s arranged. Let me know if I need to edit down the video, though, I’m happy to.

Oceanic Refrains Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWj7zNIiZBQ&ab_channel=cloudwithlegs

Patchstorage: Oceanic Refrains | Patchstorage

Unfortunately as I new user I can’t upload the attachment.

Enjoy!

8 Likes

This is nice! just listened to the youtube.

1 Like

not a huge number of entries, but the ones that are here all sound really good to me.

Oh wow, that’s a really nice tune! Very cinematic.

1 Like

Here is my submission. It’s a semi-generative ambient patch woven around a tabla beat. Uses one Harmony and three Arpeggiator modules (both Squinktronix).

Tried to do something slightly different here: The notes of one of the arps are translated into gates for a tabla (Tala, Seaside Modular) and routed to different sounds depending on their pitch. This was accomplished using a simple comparison script for BASICally (Stochastic Telegraph). The rhythm periodically changes randomly (NoteSeq16, JW) and also is different every time the patch is run, so it becomes a syncopated, polyrhythmic-ish, electroautomatic improvisation dispersed in the luminiferous aether of the unknown, LOL.

Other rhythmic elements emerge from the Euclidian sequencers Eugene and Polygene (both Rare Breeds). A lead, pad, kick and washy snare fill empty spaces.

RGATE (Bogaudio) is guided by 8Face (stoermelder) to change clock divisions, selectively speeding up or slowing down the tempo. Arranged using ShapeMaster (MindMeld).

3 Likes

Sounds great from the video! I think an edit is not necessary. Hope I’ll find time to look at the patch soon.

1 Like

Great challenge for me as I have had a lot of fun trying these two out. Thanks for the work you’ve put in. This piece for the SquinkTronix ArpHarmony challenge uses four voices each linked via an Arpeggiator or Harmony module. Each occupies a separate row in the patch.

1. Arpeggiator working with 8 random pitches from 8vert with the arpeggio direction/order determined randomly from six.
  2. Harmony generates a four part chord per note of the arpeggio.
  3. Harmony do the same but less frequently
  4. Arpeggiator working with the chord from the Harmony row 3.

I was very interested to explore the harmony of Harmony contrasted again the un quantized input. The STRIP module from stoermelder is such a handy module for the randomizing. I also use it a couple of times to turn off the 8vert. Harmony does a return to smooth harmony beautifully when that happens. I’d never come across either module so thanks for the challenge poking me in the right place! I hope you enjoy the results.

You can download the patch at

edit youtube link

4 Likes

This is amazing music! I would have thought that the patch was much more complex, but Meander does a lot of the leg work. Well done!

I really would like to improve on wrapping my head around Meander. Beside the written manual, is there a concise video tutorial you could recommend?

1 Like

Thank you for your kind words. I am not aware of a tutorial video for Meander. I don’t make videos myself, which is one reason I try to upload most of my Meander patches to the forum here. Since all Meander parameters are designed for automation via CV in-ports, the number of configuration permutations and combinations is truly astronomical.

But, I love the Squinktronix modules and how easy it is to get Meander to work in partnership with Harmony and Arpeggiator.

1 Like