VCV Rack Pro clock syncing in Cubase pro issues

Hello, Can’t get syncing between VCV rack pro and Cubase pro “all version 11 … 12 … 13” I read all topics on VCV Rack forum and watched all video on Youtube but with no chance There’s always less or more time difference in synchronization, even if I do not modify anything, the synchronization time differs with each Play/Stop

Any idea?

May you show us your patch and/or share a video that shows what’s going wrong? How big is the delay/jitter you encounter between Cubase and the VCV VST? How did you measure it?

1 Like

Thank you Ahornberg, I will share an image or video for a simple patch to clarify the issue

How big is the delay/jitter you encounter between Cubase and the VCV VST? How did you measure it?

The time differences are not constant, although the play timing is perfect, but later there are differences in synchronization “more or less”, each time the synchronization is different

When I tried to record a video of the problem … I found that synchronization works like a charm and I don’t know what the reason is:)

Now I have two problems …

The first When recording the MIDI signal from VCV Rack Pro to Cubase there is always a small note at the beginning of each note!

The second problem I can’t make MIDI to CV work for MIDI 2 channels or higher It only works on Channel one

The first “issue” I can explain:

The gate signal comes directly from the clock module, but the note signal goes through 3 additional modules. So every time the pitch changes, there will be a short note of length 3 samples, and that’s exactly what Cubase records.

As a solution, put 3 modules in the gate line that do nothing to the signal. Maybe there’s a dedicated sample delay module in the library, but 3 open VCA modules also work fine.

For the 2nd issue, please contact VCV support.

1 Like
3 Likes

Thank you so much Ahornberg and PaulPiko Yes I didn’t think about that

But this example is simple, what if I work on complex patch… how will I calculate the delay time between the gate signal and the V/Oct signal? Is there a module that can calculate the time differences between two signals?

Best regards :+1:

No there is not but…

1 Like

Count the cables?

1 Like

Thank you Yeager / PaulPiko I know that PaulPiko but as I said… some time I work on complex patch and it’s hard to keep track of the number of cables :dotted_line_face: but yes, this is probably the best and easiest solution available :+1:

I rebuild your MIDI channel problem in Cubase 12 (on Windows 10) and it works fine after setting the MIDI channel of the MIDI tracks to “any” … maybe this helps

2 Likes

Doesn’t work for me “Cubase 13 pro / Windows 11”

I changed the midi notes in the blue midi part to CH2 inside Key Editor

doesn’t work too…

Cubase 12 pro also the same

and Cubase 12 pro with select the channels of midi tracks

I tried Halion 7 everything works well

by the way I received a message from VCV support:

We are looking into this issue and we hope to have a fix for you soon.

So I don’t think it Cubse issue… But I’m confused now how it worked with you?

I’m not an expert in Cubase. Here’s my cdr file:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/2bxov6dmhbezzuvwys8cj/test.cpr?rlkey=5pyihe4t8qeznnv7n8f0a7tz5&dl=0

Maybe it works for you too.

1 Like

your file work well :man_shrugging: I created a new Cubase project with the same tracks / settings with no chance !

Can you download the project and try it please?

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/jth5jst7yphnrkp83lbch/test-2.cpr?rlkey=dhy7z9qz64oa5ypf66t3vwsqq&st=vb9lrmlc&dl=0

Maybe i know the reason of the problem, In your file: Cubase Inspector menu Output routing for midi track showing: 01.VCV Rack 2 - Midi in As this picture shows:

But if i add VCV rack as an instrument track i don’t find 01.VCV Rack 2 - Midi In … in the Output routing list for midi channels As this picture shows:

Instead it only shows 01.VCV Rack 2 - (((( Events In))))

I don’t know why…

I tried your cdr file and I didn’t get it to work :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

sorry, I’m not a Cubase expert.

2 Likes

No problem at all, thank you so much for you try I really appreciate that :rose:

1 Like

This is just a shot in the dark, but have you tried using VST2 instead of VST3. I don’t use cubase, but have similar issues with Studio one using multiple midi channels. The VST2 version doesn’t have this problem.

2 Likes

Bravo aurentvh :pray:

VST2 works without problems using all MIDI channels while VST3 works on the channel one only

I think the VCV team knows this… that’s why they told me they are looking into solving this issue

big thanks for everyone :+1:

3 Likes