VCV Rack modules in 3D

That would indeed be so cool, but given the cpu already required for Rack, if you add a vr mode in 3d with 3d cables and modules with the same quality as what we are seeing in this thread, you would need a Nasa computer to run it :joy:

3 Likes

Out of curiosity ? How much time do these take to render ?

the freak is the realtime render engine of blender (eevee)

2 Likes

Would love to see a video tutorial of doing one of these renders… I reckon enough people would start doing it that we could render a significant proportion of the modules available :slight_smile:

4 Likes

If a developer allow to me use a module for the tutorial , I can do it, meanwhile, get familiar with a 3d software is half of the way.

3 Likes

Go for it! https://vcvrack.com/plugins#coirt

Depends. My ancient computer does Entropia in about 5 minutes on CPU render with Cycles (500 samples, maybe?), which is the slowest possible option. There are so many lights, and it’s a bit more high poly than it needs to, honestly. It’s not really bad at all for a still image. For animation, it’ll take all week.

1 Like

Yeah I considered that, until I saw the mesh. That would take weeks to clean up. On the other hand, there’s not really anything to subdivide, so maybe it won’t matter.

Foundry, neat sequencer from Impromptu Modular!

13 Likes

Sweet!

I once worked at a commercial audio company. Many of their plugin panels were done with 3D models which were then rendered as a series of bitmaps. But a knob in all its rotations was often 100 or more bitmaps, so it was pretty memory intensive to render them in the final product. And of course there was a terrible speed vs memory trade-off.

1 Like

Finished Geodesics, finally!

23 Likes

Great!

2 Likes

So nice, wood case is a nice touch too! :slight_smile: Good show Espen!

3 Likes

Beautiful work! Prism Rainbow?

1 Like

amazing renders people!

Ooh, that’s a pretty one.

perfect! I ll prepare some things and I ll come back with a tutorial soon

2 Likes

Oh my,… just seeing the modules realized seems to validate them so much more. How about we create a generic 3D model system and connect it to VCV in VR space.

Draw or drag ‘real’ patch cables (or not so real…:slight_smile: ) Gesture based, Theremin like input option.
Choose your own background environment - ie. inside the ISS with the earth in view. underwater, in an ice cave, a night club, surrounded by snails etc

Create a freeform animated VR neural network. Animated interactions to create organic loops and sequences ( think tilt brush/Quill)

so much more… indeed. :slight_smile: Jefferson Skinner

2 Likes

Before and after. I was missing a couple of LED’s and buttons. :flushed:

10 Likes