VCV Rack 2 Free and Pro released

Yes!!! Yes to the analysis of Rack VST, and yes to the Step Brothers reference!

It’s funny–I realize that until now I’d been thinking “Won’t it be nice to have my DAW talk to Rack doing synthesis/sequencing/automation/etc”? But what you’re talking about–having Rack FX in the DAW–is a whole other fresh bowl of popcorn.

1 Like

They’re all great but I’m thinking this is going to go a tier up in size. Warren Huart talking about it in reassuringly general terms. Pete Thorn or Andy Martin playing a guitar through it. Heck, I think this is going to do Andrew Huang numbers.

I have to step away from this thread for a while but it’s been fun, everybody! See you on the flip side, maybe with some non-Fundamentals plugins downloaded by then!

2 Likes

Quick question (I searched but couldn’t find an answer):

Can you output cv->midi from the VST into your daw? For example, have v/oct and gates from SEQ-3 drive a synth on another track? Because if you can, thats huge.

1 Like

The latter. For most versions there’s a Rack*-win.zip file available and that is my preference.

2 Likes

Yes, one instance has 16 Midi-I/O. So you could essentially build a patch with up to 16 Sequencers and drive 16 different synths on other channels from there (per instance). I did not test it yet, but that’s what’s announced.

3 Likes

Yes absolutely and Midi CC’s for modulation of VSTs too - that’s one of the best things about it. Only on one midi channel in Ableton Live unfortunately (that’s a restriction in Ableton), but in Bitwig, Rack can send out midi to other tracks on all 16 channels - so you can build a ‘wall of sequencers’ patch in Rack and have it sequence/modulate 16 different midi tracks in the DAW.

4 Likes

Thanks for the replies. Gonna buy it tomorrow then. Gonna be so much fun!

2 Likes

Downloaded and installed (no library update yet, server getting hammered) and I now have both 2.0 and 1.1.6 installed. But my V1 version still has an Update VCV Rack 1.1.6-> 2,0 option under Help. What would that do at this point?

I downloaded Pro from the link in my purchase e-mail and it doesn’t install the standalone application on Mac OSX. If I update from version 1.1.6, it will only install the free version. How can I remedy this please?

Coolio jay jay yeah yeah yeah … :clap: :clap:

congrats @Vortico and the team and everyone who helped to make this happen and a big thank you to all the module developers and the great community here

the next weeks I will be very very busy :wink: :star_struck:

1 Like

I’ve been trying to get VCV rack to install my plugins and i got a spot on the server. But, for some reason not all of the plugins have been downloaded and it says “up to date” when im missing some… Any idea why?

The app is renamed to “VCV Rack” not “Rack”. I was stuck for a while till I looked further down.

1 Like

Huge congrats to those involved!

I can only imagine how much effort it has taken to get this far, and I’m exited to see the Rack community continue to grow as version 2 makes it more useful and accessible for more kinds of musical workflows.

1 Like

Hi, congrats on the release. Two questions about the Pro version that I haven’t been able to figure out from the marketing copy: first, there’s mention of other plugin formats besides VST coming soon - when AU support is available, will this be a free upgrade, or will it be paid?

Second, is there any way to try Pro before buying? I understand that I can try the free version of VCV standalone, but I’m interested to assess the VST-specific aspects before buying (like, how to manage parameter automation, etc).

Thanks!

Outstanding! Bought and downloaded. Congratulations to everyone that’s put in the work to get it here.

And congratulations to rest of us for getting to use it!

1 Like

Edit: found the reference:

Note: Live merges all MIDI channels to one channel when being routed internally from track to track. It is therefore not possible to send MIDI to separate tracks via separate MIDI channels. https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/articles/209070189-Accessing-the-MIDI-output-of-a-VST-plug-in

2 Likes

Hi and welcome! I don’t have direct answers to your questions, but I am 110% sure there will be a lot of videos about VST Integration on Youtube in the very near future. Please check the channel from Omri Cohen on YT, I am sure he is the first to provide answers to most if not all of your questions, perhaps even in a live stream.

1 Like

This thread makes me happy :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Massive achievement Andrew. Well done and thanks for all your hard work and endurance! :clap::clap::clap:

1 Like

Congrats on being able to download any plugins! :stuck_out_tongue: And welcome!

Some of the early reports (before the server got just completely slammed) suggested that only a few plugins were being downloaded at a time, which sounds like what you’re experiencing. I suspect (without proof) that it’s another server issue where only a partial reply is sent; should settle down before too long. Definitely post back if the server calms down but you’re still experiencing the issue…