VCV Host: What's In Your Host Module?

Thank you too, very helpful!
Gonna try second solution if fall in troubles with jBridge

1 Like

Nice, I’m glad you have your TS-808 and other older toys with your Rack again. I too like some of them (Aethereal, Cerebrum, Chimera, SubDuer, Yava3, though the bridged version of the latter is quite buggy in my setup). Also, good decision to be stuck with jBridge by now, and optionally scaling up with a plugin chainer. :wink:

i tried jbridge, but didn’t like it. it really falls short of the almost seamless way bridging works in reaper. i’m even more convinced now that reaper is some of the best bang for your buck to be had in music production.

and i must say that in general my experiences with using the vcv bridge plugin in reaper have been superior to using the vst host plugin in vcv rack. but it’s early days, so we may hope for improvements.

1 Like

Rexdux, TAL noisemaker, U-NO-LX, MOD, Basline101, Dexter

2 Likes

Yes, there’s no short of DAWs these days, but I find Reaper is a superb, agile, eclectic platform, with a seamless workflow, good community support, and a really friendly business model. I am a long-time ProTools user, because it was the elected workstation in my digital audio education facility, but I find myself switching on Reaper more and more often, for more basic and quick mock-ups, mostly midi-based sequencing, arranging or experimental purposes, given also the extended support for vsti. Also, sofware updates are frequent but more flawless than a snap of fingers

1 Like

Nice Redux (though not free) …you make me want to go on and on, with T-Alpha Plus, Synth1, Shortcircuit, FireBird, and tons of others. Sure VST was one of the better things happened to digital audio, at least it earned itself the credit of setting a standard for audio plugin formats, particularly for the Windows platform. I guess next will be the .vcvrack format, no?

P.S. I suppose you mistook Dexter (the complex VCO from our beloved developer @valley.audio) with Dexed, the DX7 emulation multi-format plugin that’s also an awesome open-source thing from Pascal Gauthier. Anyway very understandable, taken the place where we are talking each other from! :smiley:

1 Like

where can I found the complex VCO? is there a version to linux?

dexter is part of the valley plugin

1 Like

ahhh I goit, my mistake I mean the Dexed

2 Likes

Also for granular sinthesys there’s the free Granulab: https://www.abc.se/~re/GranuLab/Granny.html

1 Like

Reaktor

1 Like

Image Line Harmor, as a monophonic additive oscillator and sample resynthesizer. Has a whole palette of sound not reachable with anything native to VCV.

Cytomic Drop, with audio sidechain to filter modulation

NI Reaktor w/Toybox & Euro Reakt

Melda MXXX - of course…

Ohm Force Ohmicide - All the distortion, all the time…

UVI Relayer - King of delay units!

Everything I’ve tried so far work great with an 8 sample buffer, which makes re-syncing pretty much unnecessary.

This was my fav synth in fl studio !

As for Host, it’s super cool to pianos in there since we don’t have that in Vcv :slight_smile: I’d love to test using Spitfire labs libraries too, the moon guitar surely will sound great sequenced by Vcv

Absolutely agree with you about the piano. Unfortunately, I still can’t find a sound that makes me forget the real one, but Pianoteq doesn’t look bad …

Valhalla Room, Delay and VintageVerb. GRM Tools.

Well ,good sample libraries sound just like the real thing, since it IS the real thing sampled. Check the Native instrument piano for example. They sound a million times better than a Modelling instrument like pianoteq or others :wink:

mmm… okay, I think I’ll give it a chance. Many thanks for the advice :vulcan_salute:

1 Like

@hamptonio I do agree with what you were saying earlier in another thread, i’m also a big fan of Pigments, but rarely use it in Host, i don’t use Host much for sound generation, the exception being sampled instruments like Spitfire Labs for example :slight_smile: .

However sometimes, while playing with a Vst synth i tell myself i would really like this particuliar preset in some of my Vcv patches, but i’m too lazy to reproduce the sound with rack modules, so i just use Host.

This is quite a rare occurence for me though :sweat_smile:

A great plugin to use in Host is Sonic Charge Microtonic or Drum Computer for everything drummy.

2 Likes