=== vcp challenge #73 (september edition): no sequencer ===

Thank you for this challenge - it was the push I needed to finally publish one patch from a series where I explore using only self oscillating filters for all signals. I actually created these patches 6 months ago.

I really enjoy when I discover a chaotic system through self and cross modulation. This ambient soundscape is but one example.

Note that this patch is designed to run at a sample rate of 48 kHz. Any other rate dramatically impacts the frequencies of the chaotic signals.

8 Likes

I triple-checked and AH Generative module is not listed as a sequencer, soā€¦ Amalgamated Harmonics Generative module sends out notes and gates to Grande quantizer (set to 13 EDO). Then through the F2 filter into reverb, than delay and then more reverb. NYSTHI 208 Random module adds movement to things.

2 Likes

Gray Code doesnā€™t have the Sequencer tagā€¦

I could use that and NYSTHI 208 to generate pitch info. Iā€™ll have to think about that for awhile.

iā€™m glad this challenge is already triggering this much response! (pun intended)

i intentionally wanted to keep the rule simple and clear, which is why according to the letter of the challenge ā€œany module which is tagged as sequencer in the library is out.ā€

and i donā€™t like playing legalistic games. if for one the challenge consists in seeking exploits in that rule, have at it. if for another person the spirit of the challenge also excludes sequential switches, have at it.

the goal of the challenge is to inspire people to be creative.

btw, i already thought of the cheat to use vcv host with a vst sequencer pluginā€¦ it would follow the letter of the rule.

another one is marbles a.k.a. random sampler, which i have often used as a sampler sequencer, for example in this old patch:

or this one:

but i think a sequencer is easy to simulate with an lfo (for example one of my chaotic lfos) and a sample-and-hold into a quantizer.

maybe there will be some more creative solutions?

2 Likes

i would be totally up for a drone challenge! the drone day pieces are the only pieces of significance i have made in the last couple of years.

2 Likes

heres what i did. i didnā€™t want to bother with a screenshot. all freemodules besides path set spork. the obvious idea here is using pdarray as a self-contained loop thing. lilac looper would technically be easier but it doesnt store data inside the patch file.

No sequencer sequences:

12 Likes

Thats REALLY cool.

1 Like

nice,
do you have a link to the patch? or can you upload it here?

1 Like

Sorry, I tend not to share patches like this in case I wish to subsequently release the music as part of another project.

Uh, sneaky! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I like this challenge very much :wink:

and already some really nice entries :+1:

here is my evolution of some patches I did for this challenge:

1. no sequencer, no clock, no osc ā€¦
  1. now a slow version of it:
  1. another try with the just released Blamsoft XFX Wave, I ā€œsequencedā€ it live with my mouse:

the patches are here (including 2 versions of the first patch):
rsmus7_VCP-73.zip (36.4 KB)

5 Likes

Hereā€™s my entry:

VCP 73 Random Chords.vcv (5.5 KB)

A simple random chord sequence.

You would need to hit the trigger button on the Nysthi AD module to get it started. And hit monitor on the Count Modula Fade module to hear it.

7 Likes

lush, nice. Going to rebuild this actually for an extended listen, loving it :heart:

1 Like

Lovely!

1 Like

This is my contribution to VCP-73.

All notes are sampled (S&H) from LFOā€™s (Stages) and triggered from the very nice docB::PwmClock. There are four voices, from respectively XFX-Wave, docB::PAD2, Rings and Bleak.

Youā€™ll find the patch here:

4 Likes

I love how rich Auretā€™s patch sounds by employing relatively simple concepts in a straight forward way.

I was struck by how many VCV Fundamental modules were used, and thought the whole patch could be implemented with only VCV. (except of course for the reverb, and the Fade module for recording convenience)

Here is what I was able to achieve - I think it is pretty close to the original. Restricting oneself to the Fundamental modules is much easier with the recent additions to the collection.

VCP 73 Random Chords All VCV.vcv (6.1 KB)

The TACT-1 is replaced by a CV-MIX and PROCESS in the upper right. Turn the top CV-MIX knob fully clockwise to fade in the other two voices.

Here are the main substitutions that I used:

• Self oscillating VCF high pass output for the Basal VCO, with a tiny bit of feedback to the resonance to add a slight buzz.
  • Rectification is now simple with the COMPARE module
  • CVMIX, ADSR, and VCA are obvious replacements.
  • Introduce a once sample delay to the V/Oct signal, and subtract from the original with CV-MIX, and pass to COMPARE to detect when the V/Oct signal changes - it gives a 1 sample trigger with each change. Then use GATES to get the needed gate length.
  • Using multiple COMPARE modules with ADSR to get a looping envelope is maybe a little less obvious.
  • Using two RANDOM plus CVMIX is obvious, but sure uses a lot more space and is less convenient than a single Bogaudio sample and hold
2 Likes

This is very clever!

3 Likes

Thanks! It is a technique I developed while working on my Fundamental Constructs series of patches. The new COMPARE module makes it that much more useful - being able to trigger upon leading edges, trailing edges, or both.

I really need to update the Fundamental Constructs to take advantage of all the new modules.