=== vcp challenge #73 (september edition): no sequencer ===

Lovely!

1 Like

This is my contribution to VCP-73.

All notes are sampled (S&H) from LFO’s (Stages) and triggered from the very nice docB::PwmClock. There are four voices, from respectively XFX-Wave, docB::PAD2, Rings and Bleak.

You’ll find the patch here:

4 Likes

I love how rich Auret’s patch sounds by employing relatively simple concepts in a straight forward way.

I was struck by how many VCV Fundamental modules were used, and thought the whole patch could be implemented with only VCV. (except of course for the reverb, and the Fade module for recording convenience)

Here is what I was able to achieve - I think it is pretty close to the original. Restricting oneself to the Fundamental modules is much easier with the recent additions to the collection.

VCP 73 Random Chords All VCV.vcv (6.1 KB)

The TACT-1 is replaced by a CV-MIX and PROCESS in the upper right. Turn the top CV-MIX knob fully clockwise to fade in the other two voices.

Here are the main substitutions that I used:

• Self oscillating VCF high pass output for the Basal VCO, with a tiny bit of feedback to the resonance to add a slight buzz.
  • Rectification is now simple with the COMPARE module
  • CVMIX, ADSR, and VCA are obvious replacements.
  • Introduce a once sample delay to the V/Oct signal, and subtract from the original with CV-MIX, and pass to COMPARE to detect when the V/Oct signal changes - it gives a 1 sample trigger with each change. Then use GATES to get the needed gate length.
  • Using multiple COMPARE modules with ADSR to get a looping envelope is maybe a little less obvious.
  • Using two RANDOM plus CVMIX is obvious, but sure uses a lot more space and is less convenient than a single Bogaudio sample and hold
2 Likes

This is very clever!

3 Likes

Thanks! It is a technique I developed while working on my Fundamental Constructs series of patches. The new COMPARE module makes it that much more useful - being able to trigger upon leading edges, trailing edges, or both.

I really need to update the Fundamental Constructs to take advantage of all the new modules.

Nice patch! I love the end result. And btw I love your backgrounds.

That’s so nice! great patch, great song, great use of logic and counters to create a sequence!

1 Like

Hi! This is my entry to the challenge. I call it entropy, hope you enjoy it!

In my channel there is also a tutorial (english and spanish) in case you want to see how I build it, and here is my patch ready to download on patchstorage. Good luck to everyone! there are some great entries!

3 Likes

This was an inspiring challenge! It’s been some time since I’ve opened up Rack with no intention other than creating something purely in Rack. Cheers!

https://patchstorage.com/091722/

3 Likes

Here’s my entry for VCP 73. Loved everyone’s patches so far!

Gotta say it was hard no going for my usual suspects like ADDR-Seq, NoteSeq or GATESeq 64. So thank you for this challenge, it was a lot of fun and I learned a ton!

The patch builds quite slowly, with almost no action until the 45 second mark and the melody comes in at 03:45. It still has quite a way to go - so thanks for listening to something so raw/unedited.

The rhythm relies entirely on a set of LFOs being used as clocks and gates, mixed together by the GATE COMBINE module and modulated in frequency by a couple of outputs from OCHD.

The scale is a pentatonic with major 6th added to it. I love the tension this occasionally creates while still being kind of safe harmonically for purely generative note content.

For the chords I used my favorite generative tactic which is to take notes from a melody and put them through a shift register with a slow trigger, merging some of the outputs into a polyphonic cable.

The gates for the melody come from a slope detector fed by WALK.

The „shaker sound“ is a variation on Omri Cohen’s tremolo trick with added envelope and lfo based amplitude modulation to create a kind of 5 over 4 accented pattern.

And lastly I used an envelope follower with a threshold based gate output for the higher, „feedback like sounding“ voice.

Most of the voices use fm in some form, though I would love even more tonal variation which I’ll work on.

Best, @aetrion-music

P.S.: Will upload to patch storage before Sep 30th.

9 Likes

Beautiful! One of my favorites so far

1 Like

Yeah, super nice.

2 Likes

I decided to create a second entry. But I went in a completely different direction for this one.

My first entry is totally uncontrolled chaos. In stark contrast, this one has a tightly controlled melodic structure, but of course without any sequencers. The first voice is basically an arpeggio, but I felt that an arpeggiator is too much like a sequencer, so I constructed my own arpeggiator out of more primitive modules. Some variant of this design will be part of my next set of VCV Fundamental Constructs, when I finally get around to updating it.

The bass line voice is a simple descending scale created by a ramp down LFO run through a quantizer with equal note probability.

All the sequencing is controlled by ramp waves from an LFO “clock”

I shamelessly stole Purf’s idea of adding offsets to arpeggio steps at random times. I developed a solution to the problem that never backtracks - once an offset is added, it remains until the end of a 16 measure cycle. A ramp “clock” is compared against randomly chosen thresholds to determine when each offset is added. New random thresholds are established for each 16 measure cycle.

More detailed patch notes are available at Patch Storage.

8 Likes

Hey all, haven’t entered one of these before - heard about it from @blockoneproductions tutorial vid for the challenge (thanks!). Still a beginner, so don’t expect anything as amazing as the other posts here.

The intrument tagged “Arp1/2” (more a broken chord than an arp?) is sequenced by Frozen Wasteland’s Seeds of Change, which will repeat its PRNG sequence when reseeded. This is modulated by a second Seeds of Change (use Multiply 1 and Seed to play).

“Bass” is sequenced by a quantised LFO.

“Pad” uses Frozen Wasteland’s Probably Note quantizer to sample notes from Seeds of Change. The chord expander pads this out.

The “Lead” (such as it is) uses Vult’s Caudal to sweep up and down the scale with some variation. Quantum is used as the quantiser here as it can send gates/triggers when the output changes - useful to trigger the envelope in the FM-OP.

“Drum” uses divided clocks to sequence a kick, snare and hats.

An idea I did not pursue was to use a simple guitar sample and a pitch/envelope follower like Entrian’s - accompanying sequences could be derived from this.

I’m almost certain I didn’t include anything tagged “sequencer” and almost certain I used all free modules :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Interesting entry! Looking forward to hearing more of your patches.

1 Like

Very nice. And I am glad you used and reminded me about Seeds Of Change. I remember reading the description and manual and thinking I need to try it out, but I never got around to it. I think it is time that I do.

I have used the Probably NOTe quantizer many times and been very pleased with the results.

2 Likes

Cool patch! I’m glad my video brought more attention to these challenges, they are amazing! :grinning:

3 Likes

That’s what I thought, so here it is:

1 Like

this appears to have been a really successful challenge. thanks everyone who participated!

6 Likes

Yes! It was a fun challenge, and it was great to see/hear all the entries

4 Likes