=== vcp challenge #72 (august edition): ice tray ===

Thank you Andrew, and thanks for the great modules!

I just press the page-down key, it scrolls a row down at the right zoom-level :slight_smile: Was that what you meant?

1 Like

Yes. That’s super simple. I’ve thought about making a module that lets you save different camera positions and jump between them.

That’s an interesting idea…

1 Like

Hey Lars. Do you mind if I use a derivative of your patch in a live performance with flute on Monday night? I slowed it down, lengthened the envelopes, dropped the Basal down an octave, added modulation, and added a 4th voice using a resonant recursive filter sweep of the Basal.

3 Likes

Go ahead Dave, thanks for asking.

4 Likes

Any chance u cld record n share outcome?

That is the plan, assuming the performance goes well.

You can also watch it live at Monday Night VOM - YouTube or Facebook starting at 7pm.

I am scheduled to go on at 9:20, but participation has been light recently, so I may be going earlier than that. I wouldn’t be shocked if I went as early as 8:45.

4 Likes

Thanks for the link Dave. Excellent music for a Tuesday morning (AEST), live now. Looking forward to hearing the ice cubes clinking around in your set. Cheers!

1 Like

Yes, my times are U.S. Eastern Daylight Savings Time

Well that was a bummer - not sure what happened, but rack just would not play the patch, and that was after running it all day. I’m thinking my PC needed to reboot. I will try again next week.

3 Likes

Oh man, you really were having a bad day there Dave, sorry for your credit loss. The flute sounded nice. It would have been fun hearing the patch with the flute, maybe next time, throw us a link if it happens. And hey, you pronounced my name as well as is possible for an American, well done! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks Lars. Not sure if I will perform your Ice Tray piece tomorrow, more likely next Monday night. But tomorrow I am sharing the virtual stage with ilyAIMY for two hours, and will be using lots of VCV Rack. More info at Dave Venom music and patches - Upcoming "Live From The Lair" performance - #77 by DaveVenom

1 Like

I’ve finally gotten around to making a recording. Patch isn’t quite what it used to be; see my initial post way up there. Still, the core is the same: one Ice Tray with grain sized recording and playback times, the other one for additional sprinkles through an HP filter and Clouds. I’ve been tinkering with this patch quite a bit, swapping OSCs back and forth, one time it had a sequencer and so on, so there are some redundant bits in here (the ADSR, mostly)

The Ice Tray core of it:

3 Likes

Well I finally did perform my take on Lars’ Dreaming of Ice Trays on August 22, but failed to capture a high quality audio recording. You can watch the raw Zoom broadcast footage here

I still wanted decent audio, so I finally recorded an un-broadcast version last night. My video capture software spazzed out a few times, but I managed to get some good audio.

I made a few modifications to the patch:

• Slowed the tempo considerably
  • Lengthened the envelopes
  • Dropped the Basal bass line by 1 octave and added modulation
  • Created another voice by routing the raw Basal output through a recursive resonant filter with an LFO driven frequency sweep, followed by a delay.
4 Likes

Very cool Dave, I enjoyed it!

2 Likes

any suggestions for the september edition?

As for a module/collection I would suggest dBiz. Or how about a cover (of one’s choosing) challenge?

1 Like

How about “Tidal Modulator 2” aka. Tides (2 / 2018)? I feel like this is such an overlooked and super-capable module, which is actually really interesting, can make great sounds and you can build entire patches with it.

1 Like

I would like a: “patch without any sequencer module”

3 Likes

good suggestions all, but this one is right up my alley! and because my birthday falls in september, i’m going with this.

3 Likes