=== vcp challenge #71: docb ===

you are challenged to make a patch in vcv rack to showcase creative use of modules, so other users may get inspired. you can also win eternal fame!

for this edition, the challenge is to make a patch that uses modules by docB from the dbRackModules and dbRackSequencer plugins. there is a lot in there (clock, sequencers, oscillators, lfos, reverb, various other things), so you’re spoilt for choice!

good luck!

== rules ==

• make a patch in vcv rack and upload your patch to patchstorage.com,
    and/or in your reply to this thread
  • tag your upload with vcp-71
  • make a video showcasing your patch and upload it to youtube (if possible),
    or record some audio and upload it to e.g. soundcloud
  • add a link to your video or audio as a comment to this post
  • give feedback on other participants’ patches

deadline: sunday end of the day, wherever you are, july 3rd

9 Likes

Thanks, see what sonic mayhem I can cause.

1 Like

For the VCP-71 challenge I ended up only using 2 DocB modules (Pad and AddSynth). I didn’t create anything unique or different, but I got a lot of nice sounds, so I threw them all into a DAW and churned out a song in C Minor. There are 2 Pluck tracks, 3 pad tracks and a bass track (plus some white noise drums).

8 Likes

Well, it’s not possible to record video or audio, because my PC would explode. So it’s just for fun. If someone would like to download and play this patch, i have to tell you: this patch is heavy on the CPU. I was adding more and more stuff before it became impossible to play it without the whole vcv glitching. That’s why i decided to just stop. Otherwise it would be, probably, a bit fuller

a picture just in case.

docsdsocs.vcv (10.2 KB)

7 Likes

recorded for you, with some extra darkness:

12 Likes

Nice groove with a good laid back energy

I decided to restrict my patch to only using docB (apart from the audio interface, recorder, and FADE to start/stop with fade out). Rather than use any of the fancy sequencers, I opted to build my patch with primitive building blocks.

4 Likes

Oh! Thank you!

Some people might even say…sleep-inducing.

Very nice patch.

Very very nice and interesting. Can’t imagine what it would sound like with a pile of great effects on it :slight_smile:

There are few ways you can get almost the same output that will save CPU

1. Mindmeld Mixer + EQ uses more CPU than e.g. the Autinn 6 channel mixer. It is limiting (mono sends 6 mono channles) but a lot easier on the CPU.
  2. All the processing on the mixer output – 2xDebriatus, Bogaudio Commpressor, Decline – a bit much. You can record a mix and then post-process it in your audio editor.

That isn’t to say they’re not great modules or that they don’t do something useful but when a patch starts maxing out CPU, knowing how to cut or replace modules is a useful skill.

2 Likes

Thanks! Yeaah, the post-processing is a bit too much, but I like having everything on the screen and if i feel like this idea is good and i need to master it better, i record the stems and use Ableton… For this one i felt it would be better to have all the post-processing things there (cause i think that’s what challenge was about…)

Finely got around to using docb modules, a simple patch using Cycle Sequencer and Pad, along with Unless Towers faders and Teletype and Saich[Thanks obakegaku for creating this initially].

saiiiiiich-Teletype Bladerunneresque-obakegaku+ Docb cycle n pad.vcv (10.1 KB)

saiich-Teletype obakegaku+ Docb cycle n pad+Chords.vcv (8.6 KB)

Stream From chaos comes melody by Adrian Bottomley | Listen online for free on SoundCloud

1 Like

last call for submissions for this challenge!

there doesn’t seem to be too much interest in these challenges, but maybe that’s because it’s summer in the northern hemisphere?

i’ll put the vcp on hiatus again and revive it in october or so.

1 Like

For me it’s just that my creative breaks seldom align with the timings of the challenge but I think the idea is great!

That’s undoubtedly a factor.

That’s obviously your call Ben, but they’re cheap to “run” aren’t they? So I’d just let them run, personally…

1 Like