=== vcp challenge #71: docb ===

you are challenged to make a patch in vcv rack to showcase creative use of modules, so other users may get inspired. you can also win eternal fame!

for this edition, the challenge is to make a patch that uses modules by docB from the dbRackModules and dbRackSequencer plugins. there is a lot in there (clock, sequencers, oscillators, lfos, reverb, various other things), so you’re spoilt for choice!

good luck!

== rules ==

• make a patch in vcv rack and upload your patch to patchstorage.com,
    and/or in your reply to this thread
  • tag your upload with vcp-71
  • make a video showcasing your patch and upload it to youtube (if possible),
    or record some audio and upload it to e.g. soundcloud
  • add a link to your video or audio as a comment to this post
  • give feedback on other participants’ patches

deadline: sunday end of the day, wherever you are, july 3rd

9 Likes

Thanks, see what sonic mayhem I can cause.

1 Like

For the VCP-71 challenge I ended up only using 2 DocB modules (Pad and AddSynth). I didn’t create anything unique or different, but I got a lot of nice sounds, so I threw them all into a DAW and churned out a song in C Minor. There are 2 Pluck tracks, 3 pad tracks and a bass track (plus some white noise drums).

8 Likes

Well, it’s not possible to record video or audio, because my PC would explode. So it’s just for fun. If someone would like to download and play this patch, i have to tell you: this patch is heavy on the CPU. I was adding more and more stuff before it became impossible to play it without the whole vcv glitching. That’s why i decided to just stop. Otherwise it would be, probably, a bit fuller

a picture just in case.

docsdsocs.vcv (10.2 KB)

7 Likes

recorded for you, with some extra darkness:

11 Likes

Nice groove with a good laid back energy

I decided to restrict my patch to only using docB (apart from the audio interface, recorder, and FADE to start/stop with fade out). Rather than use any of the fancy sequencers, I opted to build my patch with primitive building blocks.

4 Likes

Oh! Thank you!

Some people might even say…sleep-inducing.

Very nice patch.

Very very nice and interesting. Can’t imagine what it would sound like with a pile of great effects on it :slight_smile:

There are few ways you can get almost the same output that will save CPU

1. Mindmeld Mixer + EQ uses more CPU than e.g. the Autinn 6 channel mixer. It is limiting (mono sends 6 mono channles) but a lot easier on the CPU.
  2. All the processing on the mixer output – 2xDebriatus, Bogaudio Commpressor, Decline – a bit much. You can record a mix and then post-process it in your audio editor.

That isn’t to say they’re not great modules or that they don’t do something useful but when a patch starts maxing out CPU, knowing how to cut or replace modules is a useful skill.

2 Likes

Thanks! Yeaah, the post-processing is a bit too much, but I like having everything on the screen and if i feel like this idea is good and i need to master it better, i record the stems and use Ableton… For this one i felt it would be better to have all the post-processing things there (cause i think that’s what challenge was about…)

Finely got around to using docb modules, a simple patch using Cycle Sequencer and Pad, along with Unless Towers faders and Teletype and Saich[Thanks obakegaku for creating this initially].

saiiiiiich-Teletype Bladerunneresque-obakegaku+ Docb cycle n pad.vcv (10.1 KB)

saiich-Teletype obakegaku+ Docb cycle n pad+Chords.vcv (8.6 KB)

Stream From chaos comes melody by Adrian Bottomley | Listen online for free on SoundCloud

1 Like

last call for submissions for this challenge!