=== vcp challenge #63: organ three ===

That’s a nice one Urs, I like it! That squeaky/vocoder-ish voice reminded me of this :slight_smile:

1 Like

A little old school R&B fun - I hope you enjoy :slight_smile:

14 Likes

Whoa, so sunny :sun_with_face:

2 Likes

Genius :slight_smile: I Bleepin LOVE this …

1 Like

Oh, that was wonderful. The slow melody plus the distressed voice. :+1:t3:

Here’s another piece; this time melodic and light but still random.

No patch file for this one as it contains modules that have not yet been (or possibly will not be) published.

8 Likes

So what are these mysterious modules, ‘that have not yet been (or possibly will not be) published.’ The composition is rather good! Great rhythm to it, very foot tapping! Thanks.

Another biweekly period, another VCP. I have another two pieces (of which I definitely want to finish one) but this is a phasing piece inspired by a conversation with a certain VCV user about (edit) Phase Patterns. It’s not a copy but I tried to channel it as much as I could.

vcp-63-organ3phase.vcv (100.6 KB)

I must confess that I don’t actually like the organ sound in this. It’s not the module but the sound that it’s trying to emulate, organs are not my thing. Nonetheless here we are. For extra 70’s synth authenticity I’ve added a little pitch drift.
Actually the highlight for me of this VCP has been the move to color coding my cables using Count Modula Palette. It’s great but I wish the palette had more colors and let me have different palettes for different patches. I’ve settled on white for v/oct, grey for other cv and triggers are color coded by organ. Obviously the audio cables are purple (as we all know purple cables sound better).

Feedback on the sound (is it “honky”?) and general stuff is appreciated.

5 Likes

Thank you, the composition is controlled by randomness and logic which worked quite well I think.

The mysterious modules are an updated Fade module which brings the expander functionality into the one module and adds some extra functionality (will be released at some point when I finalise the features). A micro mixer and a quantizer which will probably not be released and an ES-9 specific audio interface which definitely will not be released (sorry!).

Organ sounds have always been challenging for me. Therefore, this challenge is just right for me.

5 Likes

Love the oom-pah oom-pah drum sounds on this, truly beautiful! Also there seems to be a nice reverse delay sound in there as well. Remarkable!

1 Like

Here’s my humble effort-Squinky and the Boys do Comedy Jazz! There is a rhythm in there somewhere but it could be better. Using the Organ 3 and Sfz Player and JW Sequences-any advice on getting/achieving a better rhythm, would be most welcome! Here’s the patch:

Bottle orchestra drums-VCP#63-Organ 3.vcv (61.7 KB)

(Stream Squinky qnd the Boys-Do Comedy Jazz-VCP#63 by Adrian Bottomley | Listen online for free on SoundCloud)

1 Like

Another one using Entrian Melody and of course Organ 3 -two of them. No pesky drums but a Midi file of Whiter Shade of Pale-Procul Harem, I believe. Playing the 1st organ and then a more percussive organ using Squinky Seq++ and Shaper.

Whiter shade of Organ 3.vcv (683.8 KB)

Whiter shade of Organ 3 by Adrian Bottomley | Free Listening on SoundCloud

1 Like

I can’t help you with the patch based colour schemes as the module uses the global rack settings file to manage the colours however, the it can actually handle 15 colours. It has a hidden feature that, if the cableColors list in the Rack settings file has more than 7 colours, the module will show 15 buttons. You could manually edit the settings file to add an 8th colour then, when you next start rack, you’ll be able to set up to 15 colours. The hotkeys for colours 1-9 will automatically map to the 1-9 number keys on the keyboard but the remaining colours will need to be manually mapped if you want to use hotkeys to select them.

I didn’t really think anyone would need that many colours but if there is enough interest and someone wants to add a feature request on github, I can add an option to allow selection of the 15 colour mode via the context menu.

1 Like

What I was thinking was that I’d want to have normal purple for mono and polyphonic audio cables and then dark purple for left stereo and light purple for right stereo, just to distinguish them. Also, you could use different oranges for different types of trigger. What I’m looking for is to impose a bit of order on the whole thing, the same as using sticky labels to make things more readable. I tend to see the whole thing as a graph that describes a set of relationships between modules that are ultimately algorithms acting on each other and different colors and layouts help with understanding it. Thx for reading responding anyway.

1 Like

I’m guessing you are referencing Steve Reich’s phasing pieces? I think it turned out rather well, in its own right. :face_with_monocle:-squint- Four different clocks, at 120/121/122/123 BPM - that totally works.

1 Like

I think I read an article on Piano Phase about 3 years ago and I’ve been doing variations on the basic idea of using 2 very similar clockspeeds ever since. Having said that Pattern Phase is a specific piece.

Hello there, all those wonderful tones from one Organ 3.You are a true master at this VCV Rack game! The phasing works really well! I might have to steal your ideas via Stoermelder strips, would that be permissible?

Most of my ideas are already stolen from someone else so go ahead.

Thanks mate, ;>‘sharing is caring’----so some positivity nonsense says, so it must be true!

1 Like