Using midi with Rack 2 Super Newb Questions

No matter how many Youtube videos I watch, I just can’t get basic info for connecting a midi keyboard to VCV Rack. Rack 2 all the modules look different? Am I missing something? No basic tutorials on how to set anything up? I mean all I am talking about is simply connecting a midi keyboard to VCV Rack or a microphone. Super newb basic stuff. All I see are tutorials with dudes with a thousand modules going fast. You can’t even see how it’s routed. Totally useless to us newbs. I don’t know. I won’t give up on it, but maybe someone could point me in the right direction. Sorry about the newb questions. Not that smrt

Check Omri Cohens youtube channel. Search youtube for vcv basics and such. Search google for info on how to connect a midi keyboard. There really is a lot of info on the net, also for beginners.

An this: Episode19: MIDI with VCV Rack - YouTube

Good luck.

Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 11.12.13 PM|383x500

Yes, I like Omri. I appreciate him very much. His videos are WAY over my head. Even the beginning ones. And regarding the other video. This is what I am talking about. These modules are different now??? Thanks for trying to help me out.

The Wiki page has a section only for VCV Rack 2

I recommend watching the Peter O’Neill video “Your first minutes in VCV Rack 2”

He shows how to connect a midi keyboard around 18:31

Thank you so much! Really appreciate you taking the time to help the supernewb. lol

Isn’t the default template a polyphonic synthesizer that “just works” (assuming you set the polyphony of the midi module > 1)?

1 Like

This is pretty straight forward.

Take an instance of VCV MIDI-CV. Select your MIDI driver, and your device from the dropdown menus at the top. You can connect the v/oct output to the corresponding input of any VCO to control it’s pitch.

If you would like to take advantage of your note on/off messages (gate), you will probably want to patch in a VCA and an envelope generator. The output of your VCO goes to the VCA. The gate from the MIDI-CV module will go to the input of an envelope, and the output of the envelope will go to the CV input of the VCA. You could just plug the gate into the VCA though if you’re into that.

The output of the VCA is what you will want to send to your audio output. I would recommend connecting this via a mixer for further control. If you want polyphony, you can select the number of voices from the context menu of the MIDI-CV module. Be aware that polyphony may complicate matters somewhat.

Well yes - version 2 has just come out and it has some changes.

Unfortunately the previous years of videos on Youtube don’t auto-update themselves or anything like that :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think it is important to recognise that modules, generally, perform a function. That function is applicable to, generally, all modules that perform the same role.

If you want to get into modular synthesis, you need to understand firstly, that everything is voltage. You may use voltage to produce an audio signal or a control signal. Secondly, you need to familiarise yourself with the concepts of VCO/LFO, Gates/Triggers, Envelopes & VCAs. These are just the basics, but they are also not black boxes. They performs tasks that will similarly be achieved by any other module with the same function.

Beyond that, there are VCFs, Sequencers, Logic, effects, and much more, AND generally, the same rule applies.

If you are new to modular synthesis, I would actually recommend skipping VCV oriented tutorials altogether and focus on understanding how a modular system works. Off the top of my head some great resources are learningmodular.com, DivKid, and Perfect Circuit’s SIGNAL series on learning synthesis.

1 Like

Also

1 Like

Fabulous! I will check it out!

Amazing thank you so much…