Totally new and bloody beginner... how can I get into the matter?

oh ! weird it didn’t show up in my rack, Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Have fun!

1 Like

NO, you are not stupid.
It’s normal. VCV is, literally, a universe.

I think we all have been there. Lost and confused. :smiley:

My two cents: use the VCV stuffs and let the other plugins be, for the moment. Take some time to learn how things works, how to plug cables, how to “twist those knobs” and how to take advantages of the new 1.0 version.

To do this, I highly recomend you the videos of LUCA CRISI, he uses minimalist settings mostly using VCV only modules --> https://patchstorage.com/author/klaussualk/

For more in depth tutorials, you can watch Bucky Durddle tutorials about VCV, he made quite a lot.

Also, but more advanced tutorials, follow the good sir @Omri_Cohen, he doesn’t need introduction. :wink:

But most important of all…

1. DO STUFFS! Small things, don’t get trapped by the “OMG! That module is sooooo frigging cool! I WANT IT NOW!!!” It’s a trap! Sweet trap but it’s a trap! :rofl: Small steps. That’s how it worked for me.
  2. SHARE STUFFS! This is a friendly and cool community. Don’t be afraid to share your things. It’s a great way to learn.
  3. GO TO 1) :rofl:

Don’t know what else to say. More experienced rackheadz will tell you more.

Welcome home!

2 Likes

yes southpole if one of them, MSM modules, ADSR, Dual Delay and Source.

1 Like

Loved the equation (dsp)-coding/patching… with different weights and priorities, both get music behind their rationale.

1 Like

If a VCA’s parameter is set to its minimum (0), then the only thing left to do is amplify. :wink:

1 Like

Nice track. Reminds me of “Surgeon - Those Who Do Not”, but I think the playlist of yours that explains the Deep Techno patch, which is 35 minutes long, might be more of my taste.

1 Like

I know somewhat about LFOs. I have used LFOs more for pitch, modulation and filters and all that stuff. Never came to me mind that it would be possible to use it for synchronization. I always thought I needed to sync everything via sequencer.

My teacher explained me that attenuators are mainly for current reduction by converting current into heat in a real physical attenuator. In the digital VCV rack, I suppose it “emulates” that it generated heat, by saying “I made heat” without making anything except reducing the current. But here is the thing… like… I associate an attenuator with an EQ or a volume control. I know these a different things, but somewhat I can’t seperate those mentally.

Good to see this suggestion for the second time.

VCV Rack Ideas = Artem Leonov & Omri Cohen?

1 Like

nope, Artem Leonov only here) and Omri is Omri

1 Like

Well a clock is just a square wave with a very small pulse width. It is the speed at which the different waves move from 0 to 10 or from 0 to ±5v that determines the synchronisation. The speed is got from how many times it hits 0 in a second (cycles per second / Hz).

1 Like

Yes, although the DSP coding is too much for me (too many advanced mathematics to understand! … Although it is not necessary to say that I would like to enter that world … Who knows! :innocent:)

By the way, after my post this afternoon about some free books that I found on the net, and the response from @chrtlnghmstr talking about his post/thread “The Library”, which inevitably made me take a look at it, since I was not aware of it … I only had enough with one of his/her links in his first post (Synapse’s), to follow that link, and from there follow another link (finding more books), and another, and another, etc., etc.,… until I found this book a few minutes ago, which seems to me to be totally related to what you say…

I have not read it yet, but for the title and the index, it seems quite interesting and perhaps even related in some way to that love equation (dsp)-coding/patching of which you talked about.

Chance? … I don’t think so, things happen and that’s it! :crazy_face:

Thanks for your comment … Cheers! :hugs:

2 Likes

:sweat_smile:

Long life to Artem and Omri! … And thanks a lot for your priceless work towards the community :heart_eyes:

1 Like

This is for you: Beginners guide to VCV Rack

1 Like

I have not seen those extensive Tutorial references, nice-one!

@Omri_Cohen pinned post?

1 Like

:+1:

I don’t know how I missed that, but it’s pinned now :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@Josep Thanks to you for your notes on this thread! I had a quick look at the book you pointed, surely an interesting, quite high-level reading, in this case not for the math :face_with_hand_over_mouth: but for the theoretical and inter-disciplinary approach :thinking: Anyway a genre of reading that I often liked to deep into, sadly now I rarely find the necessary time to read books from start to finish, so lately I end up rummaging in it a bit disorderly.
For the equation “coding vs. patching”, I have to say that you’re not alone, also in my case high dsp math is not in my special skills, what I like to compare is the mind abstraction process (with different levels of formalism) and the creative and logic attitude in both activities. That’s probably part of the fun that the above mentioned book talks about.

Sorry for responding so late. I read more stuff and watched more videos. Didn’t watch the videos that were mentioned here though. Gonna watch the “New to modular? Watch this first”.

For the beginning I would prefer to get somewhat sequenced stuff, like on Tangerine Dream records. Then I would like to make it sound fatter. Trying reverb, delay, triplets, tuplets, swing. That kind of stuff.

Basically it confuses me from the start point: Why does a sequencer go into a VCO? Why is it not the other way around?

Didn’t know about the VCA and attenuator naming-mistake. Thanks for that.

In the meantime I’m also learning more stuff about my DAW and music theory, since these 3 aspects complement each other. Would be nice to add VCV Rack to Cubase. And I read a couple of times that stuff like that is possible for quite some time now.

I also have a keyboard teacher who helps me out, when I’m stuck in certain segments when it comes to patches.

Because in the usual scenario the sequencer controls the oscillator. (Typically the pitch so you can get melodic sequences out of it.)

Of course in modular, you could also control a sequencer from an oscillator, but that would probably give quite unexpected results… :sweat_smile: (And in that case the sequencer itself would probably control yet another oscillator to actually produce the sound. That might not strictly be needed, though, because some sequencers are able to run fast enough to produce audible sounds too…)

2 Likes