Time to play a video game...

Because I’ve run out of other places to spread glee about this:

Just finished Stray. Takes about two evenings. It’s a cat simulator, it’s a chilled platformer with some puzzles, it’s a heartfelt story, it’s beautiful and you should play it.

4 Likes

Finally getting around to playing the Guardians of the Galaxy game on PC I bought months ago. It’s a good story, but it is ridiculously ‘on rails’. The quicktime events were being a massive pain in the butt to play through until I realised you could turn them off in the settings. Combat’s a little annoying. I’m used to the sort of fine tuned strategic planning you get with good RPGs and this is a lot more “point and shoot a lot”. Still enjoying it.

1 Like

Ha! Same here, literally installed it yesterday :slight_smile: And while I, too, don’t quite feel at ease with the combat, the whole package is surprisingly good entertainment!

1 Like

I am currently enjoying retro gaming with this little device. Miyoo Mini
It can do all consoles up to PS1(including!) and even more and it is size around gaming card deck.

1 Like

I’m sure you can play LSDJ on this device.

yes !

2 Likes

Finished the GotG game, fun story but still didn’t like the simplistic fights and way way too many bugs. I’d left it nearly a year to play it as I’d heard there were bugs, but still need to save the game, exit and return to get past bits where the UI got stuck, parts where the next bit of story was due to kick in but didn’t. Oh and I hate any game mechanic where you just get three save slots which is forcibly check-pointed, forcing me many times to sit through the same five or ten minutes again. I’d have finished the game in a couple of days without that.

Think I’ve had it with games for a while, was hoping Starfield would be out soon but signs suggest it’s a 2023 release at the earliest.

yeah, i’m also looking forward to starfield. it’s looking promising. and it’s coming at a time where i feel like i’m “done” with skyrim, which was my favorite game over the past decade.

in the meantime i’m thoroughly enjoying crusader kings 3. i recently started a new (modded) playthru on my gaming channel, and it has doubled my subscriber count. yay!

i’m also looking forward to trying victoria 3, which should be released in october or november. it’s shaping nicely from what we can see from the devs. but it won’t replace my love for ck3, as i prefer its character focus. vic3 is more like civ or eu4 in that you’re playing a nation.

Finished it last night. Didn’t encounter bugs but yes, stuff like that rock catching quadruple qt-event at the end? Can fuck right off :slight_smile: However in terms of this game’s banter, voiceacting, the endearing malarkey of so many moments? 5/5.

I actually preferred all the voice actors to the live action movie Guardians except maybe the one voicing Rocket.

The Mantis in the game is such a standout. That whole concept of someone who’s constantly seeing how things work out in the multiverse of options is pretty great.

1 Like

Perhaps slightly off-topic, but when browsing Kotaku, an article about using the Steam Deck as a computer showed up on the homepage. And what really struck me is the GIF they used to showcase this… had to look at the loop a few times, but sure enough, you can see VCV Rack for less than a second :

5 Likes

So, I recently tried out this Cybergame, seeing how it’s been almost two years since release and I happened to come across some mentions how its performance has been vastly improved and bugs ironed out. And…, oh, man!

Cyberpunk 2077;)

I’m about 100 hours into Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous, a ‘classic RPG’, isometric top down 3D party based adventure. Enjoying it, it’s in the same vein as Baldur’s Gate rather than Skyrim. It’s the second in a series, first being Pathfinder: Kingmaker and all the Steam reviews said that was a bit of a buggy mess, not a fun game and it’s fine to skip that - may be some back references to characters/events I missed, but nothing else - so I did.

What I really like is how there are so many options you control over how to play the game - don’t like the army based minigames? skip ‘em, prefer turn based pausing in melee fights over realtime or vice-versa? Fine either way. The damage done by and to the party is really scalable so if you feel fights are too easy or unfair you can go from 0.2 x damage to x damage whenever you feel like it and at no penalty.

Best of all, save wherever and whenever you like provided you aren’t in the middle of a battle and even then the longer fights have phases where you can save.

It’s not perfect, occasionally had to lower resolution/play windowed mode to get through certain scenes and my PC is very over specced for the game. The usual routefinding glitches where party members wander off or, amusingly, do circular zoomies. Finding how to complete certain quests would be a massive struggle without all the walkthroughs available as the closest indicator for some is “this person you need to talk to is in the city somewhere”.

All in all though a fine distraction from the sheer hell that is the world in 2022.

1 Like

My RL skateboarding skills lie in rolling <30 meters without breaking a bone but I’ve always found it to be the most fascinating and just plain cool way of pushing one’s body control to limits. Enter Session: Skate Sim. In which the board is a physical object you manipulate and push around using the controller’s two thumbsticks aka your feet. It’s haaard but so damn rewarding. There are missions, but at the heart of it, it’s, well, skateboarding- the city’s your oyster. Wonderful game/toy.

2 Likes

Sorry :

2 Likes

I watched people stream this and it took longer to wear thin than i thought.

1 Like

Free right now on Epic games store (ends 12/1/2022)

1 Like

this subreddit is pretty good for games that are free for a couple of days:

1 Like

Now they’ve dropped the price on Marvel Midnight Sons from it’s crazy high £50 release price I picked up a steam key from Green Man Gaming for £30. Should be right up my alley as I’m a sucker for MCU nonsense and tactical turn based RPGs plus Firaxis have a decent track record with games I’ve enjoyed like Civ and XCom.

55GB install. Eek!

1 Like

Colour me amazed, I guess developing a hit TV show based on a game can move mountains as I just noticed The Last of Us part 1 is coming to PC gamers via Steam in March a mere 10 years after being launched as a PlayStation exclusive :slight_smile: