Time to play a video game...

This is so cool! Thanks for the link!

From the description of the video: “It is the end point of electronic musicians alienating themselves.”

:sweat_smile:

1 Like

I’ve been playing Riven for the third time, for the nostalgia. It’s like visiting the cottage one used to go to with one’s parents. It’s been so long that I last played it that I forget most of it, but I do remember which things are important once I see them, and what notes to write down.

I also recently got “realMYST”, which I’ve never played before. It was going for a discounted price on Steam. I’ve only ever played the original version, so I’m looking forward to playing it.

1 Like

this is funny

1 Like

Besides music, my other hobby is pushing the Windows “DOS” batch scripting language to its limits. I wrote a couple of classic games using nothing but batch scripting.

The first was a text implementation of the very old Snake arcade style game. Here is a YouTube video replay of a sample play through. There was undesirable flicker in the graphics when I made the video. The most recent versions do not have this problem.

You can download the code and read about the techniques used at SNAKE.BAT 4.1 - An arcade style game using pure batch - DosTips.com

The other pure batch game I developed was a port of the classic interactive fiction adventure game - the original Colossal Cave Adventure. No graphics for this one, so no video. You can download the game and read about the development at Colossal Cave Adventure in batch - DosTips.com

1 Like

I recently fell in love with Baba Is You https://www.hempuli.com/baba/

3 Likes

That snake game was called “blockade” by gremlin. I think it’s from 1976 or so? I used to play it! I made a clone of it with a guy from work. It could match up to 100 players in a lobby to play 1v1 games. Singe jar file was the sever and it would serve up a flash client.

1 Like

Writing a video game in Batch is pure masochism. Hat tip to you, @DaveVenom.

(Now write one in Brainfuck where the source code itself looks like a game of Snake.)

I wrote a 2-player version of Snake at school and put it on the library computer. Each player used one end of the keyboard to control their snake, and they had to race for the food and not bump into each other. Everybody loved it but the staff made me take it off again because apparently libraries have to be “quiet” and the library computer was for “library use”. Killjoys.

2 Likes

Journey feat. Marble Madness (2001: Space Odyssey Remix): ExoOne

3 Likes

KID A MNESIA (is free in the epic store)

1 Like

Saw a gameplay of that ! It looks cool ^^ the soundtrack seems like nice Ambient too :smiley:

2 Likes

It’s pretty neat. In any case an audiovisual feast.

1 Like

Unearthing this thread because Sifu!

1 Like

Oh yeah. I finally got around to wrapping Quern, just to be polite and get it over with.

I don’t particularly recommend it, but I got it at a discount price (from Steam) so I don’t feel too bitter and twisted about it.

The visuals were nice for the first half, but many of the puzzles were just too stupid.

1 Like

And I finished “Off-Peak”, a short free-to-play game from Steam. Somewhat surreal, with interesting music themes woven in.

You’re stranded at a cathedral-like train station in the near future, searching for a ticket out of town. Explore the secret passageways, interact with strangers, dig for records, and get hypnotized by the soundtrack – a batch of original music courtesy of the band, Archie Pelago.

It’s sort of a teaser for “The Norwood Suite”.

1 Like

My obsession has been wearing off lately, but Yeah. Elden Ring.

Beautiful game but stunningly lackluster -play, Trek to Yomi

… and a cool sci-fi take on the genre of Other People’s Job Simulator, Hardspace: Shipbraker

The views in Star Citizen alpha are often pretty cool. Their free-fly week still has a few days. Took this screenshot while flying over a planet with the new cloud tech. I could have flown down and landed anywhere, no load screens in between.

1 Like

I kind of refuse to understand what Star Citizen actually is. I’m intrigued by it, but I cannot fathom how it believes it can deliver an experiecne so deep that I might buy a single ship for the price of up to ~7 other games. Or a good VST at that.

1 Like

I began with a starter ship game package, around USD $50, and bought other ships in the game. In-game currency is earnt doing deliveries/bounties/trading etc.

2 Likes

At work I made a version of “Blockade”, by Gremlin. An arcade game I used to play and is a precursor to snakes. I made a game lobby there you could get matched with other players, which branched you out to a 1V1 game. We have maybe 50 ppl playing it one day.

2 Likes

I didn’t play for months, but as soon as I have time for this, I’ll gladly begin a new Rimworld colony.

This game gave me the most singular, fulfilling and meaningful videogame experience I had since a long, long time. And after a few hundred of hours, I feel I’m a bit more confident into not losing my colony to whatever catastrophe the world brings on me after two in-game years, but I also feel I barely scratched the surface of what the game has to offer. People say it’s a colony sim, but it’s pitched as a story generator, and it really feels that way. I wish it has a more stylish visual style but that’s really the only caveat I can find, awesome game

1 Like