Time to play a video game...

I’m usually losing patience with those type of games fairly quickly but I’ve been a bit enamoured with Horizon Zero Dawn these last evenings.

1 Like

I’m about 3/4 through “Quern - Undying Thoughts”, on Steam.

If you are dead set against resorting to hints or walkthroughs, I would not recommend it. One puzzle involved trying to memorize a sequence of 14 numbers that flash by you in about ten seconds, and it never repeats. The conventional solution (approved by the developer, no less) is to “take a video of it with your phone and replay that until you have the sequence written down”.

Other than that sort of design dumbness, it is somewhat Riven-like, mostly opening locked doors. And it was on sale at the time.

I’ve recently bought “Call of the Sea” but I’m saving it for a rainy day.

1 Like

Me too ! I enjoy flying around in IL2 :slight_smile: It’s a pretty fun sim, i’m still much of a beginner though. I made a small video from footage i had lying around the other day !

Lately, i also got into Titanfall 2 and Death stranding. Both amazing games ! Deeply recommend

1 Like

In a pre-VCV lifetime, I used to do some flying, too.

1935026_1186294631577_5898808_n

3 Likes

I used to do a lot of crop dusting in my youth, but since I stopped eating meat things have become much more manageable down there.

1 Like

I just looked up that tail number. Ouch!

Yes, sadly that plane didn’t have a good ending. It was a good little plane. My wife actually solo’ed in it, too.

“Observation”, in which you play as a future ISS’s AI/computer uncovering a spooky mystery. Audiovisually, it’s fantastic!

2 Likes

took part in a gamejam for the Godot game engine and made a game over the weekend.

it’s called yon and it is a an old prototype I had that I kept in my drawer, and remade from scratch now inside Godot.

music and sound effects were done with Rack

here is some gameplay video and link to the game itself! (be aware that the web build might not be the smoothest experience…)

3 Likes

So cool ! i’m learning Godot too :smiley: great work ^^

The game is super fun ! Congrats :innocent:

Is that a good score :smiley: ? i was on Balanced mode :slight_smile:

I recently got back into “No Man’s Sky”. I got it when it launched and it’s really amazing how much work they’ve done to it over the years. The soundtrack is good but it’s too infrequent so I usually have modular music happening in the room. Makes for a great vibe. My name is Perkeletor on Steam if anyone wants to play.

1 Like

Oh, the band behind the soundtrack, 65daysofstatic, has a 24/7 stream with generatively composed music to “accompany your doom scrolling”. It’s pretty neat.

Me, I’m crazy about Dead Cells these evenings.

2 Likes

I’ve always been super sitting on the fence with gamedev. I’ve wanted to do it since I was a kid, I’ve had short stints with it but never made a full project. These days I’ve cut games out of my life because playing them is a big time sink, I think I have a personality type that’s prone to addiction because when I have games, I don’t do much else. Still not as bad as some of my friends, at least I couldn’t spend 135 hours in two weeks playing games :woozy_face:

I didn’t start playing games until I was in my 30’s. Just a game or two of Starcraft II per evening keeps me happy.

1 Like

Went through phases in the past year with Cities: Skylines, Crusader Kings, and Stardew Valley, but now I’ve come back to Transport Tycoon because I just cannot get enough of carefully adjusting railroad timetables

Stunning artwork and music with some great stories.

Thank you! sure that’s a good score :slight_smile: Unfortunately the game doesn’t have proper progression/difficulty ramp yet, “balanced” has a peak a little bit after you died I think, then it basically starts over, I will work on this in the future.

After getting familiar with godot this weekend, I can recommend it 100%, I had a blast.

1 Like

I’m not sure if your point is that you are on the fence about gamedev because you see games in general as harmful or something else.

Gamedev and gaming are very different activities. Both can be serious timesinks or enhance your life if done right. I like them both but gaming is surely more “dangerous” in that it takes little effort to keep doing it all day.

Every now and then I get a game which I play non-stop for a while, but I cherish those moments as experiences of great art not a waste of time.

I guess multiplayer games are the worst in the addiction front as you can play them forever without really progressing or reaching some closure. Not to say that they are inherently bad.

That being said, if you like tinkering and creating things gamedev can be very rewarding. Try godot if you want, it has a nice and simple language built-in (basically a simplified python), good documentation, and people around who are ready to help.