Time to play a video game...

tell me more about ryzom. it looks interesting. is the community active? the subreddit is abandoned…

in the meantime i’m mostly playing crusader kings 2, eagerly awaiting ck3 (september first!), and also playing some skyrim.

Today @Vortico told us he often plays video games on his twitch channel. In case anyone is interested…

2 Likes

https://twitch.tv/vortico Mostly just RuneScape Old School and various indie games when I’m not streaming VCV Rack or live coding.

2 Likes

cool

Oh yeah the subReddit is not used much, there are forums and a wiki etc. and an active Facebook group (I’m not on Facebook though). Most chat goes thru a web chat site which gives access to in game chat for when you’re doing something else. There are apparently 50,000 or so subscribers but most times of the day there are a few hundred online (unless there’s an event going on).

Ryzom is unique. There is nothing really like it in terms of gameplay. It is not an FPS shooter, nor is it mission-led. It is a true sandbox. There is no endgame.

It is free to download and free to play up to level 125 (250 levels max for subscribers) which is plenty of time to decide if you want to subscribe. There are installers for Mac, Windows and Linux.

There is a fairly steep learning curve. Ryzom does not hold your hand or tell you what to do. You have to figure out a lot for your self but you will get a lot of help from other players if you ask for it. In other games the new player is up against veterans who are much more powerful - in Ryzom we help each other and the veterans take pleasure in answering questions.

Ryzom can be played as a hack n slash game but also rewards thoughtful play. The crafting system is especially deep.

There are no classes as such. You can be a warrior or a mage, crafter or forager but most players train all skills to some extent. The skill tree branches to 63 separate skills so there is plenty to keep you occupied for years.

• All the actions, including fight actions and magic spells, are totally customisable

• There is weather and seasons which affect availability of some foragable materials

• Herbivores move in herds across the landscape and Predators hunt the herbivores, sometimes in co-operative packs. Migration patterns change with the seasons.

Ryzom recently celebrated 15 years since its release, and the fact that it is still around at all is testament to just how good it is. Even the graphics look pretty good for a 15 year old game. There is an ongoing development program of the game which went open source some years ago. Player involvement in game development and ingame events is actively encouraged.

1 Like

Oh, video games, huh?

Two in rotation these days: the fabulously beautiful GRIS. It’s not entirely wrong, albeit a bit dumb, to call it “walking simulator” - as a game, it’s a rather light experience - but everything it does is just stunningly good.

Desperados III - stealthy real-time tactic shenanigans in the Wild Wild West.

edit: oh, and this one :slight_smile: (note the laptop) image

Just starting playing with Townscaper. Not really a game but a really relaxing town building toy thing. Very relaxing and fun.

2 Likes

And Cities: Skylines

:raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed::slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Oooo! I’ll have to check that out.

1 Like

The day has come , TW Troy is here and is free in the epic store the first 24 hours, total war is the best franchise of historical games of all time, and this title is gold

1 Like

I enjoy this somewhat simple subway designer simulation game called Mini Metro. I find it difficult but still somehow relaxing. It’s got great sound too!

2 Likes

Man, been playing that Troy for half the day. Now half 4 in the morning and almost taken over the little island in the southwest of the map. Paris is somewhere northeast with a rage on for me and is apparently coming my way any time soon. I’m barely managing to keep ahold of my local vicinity as each faction slowly builds up and returns for revenge. Having to knock them out entirely and take the attrition hit, shortly followed by another factions coming to get some.

My food supply was in the thousands for a good chunk of the start, so I was absolutely rolling in it just a few turns in. Now about 70 turns gone, I’ve been losing food for most of the game, but still nowhere near running out. Gold hasn’t been hugely useful as of yet, but seems to be limited on the map. Stone has been the biggest hassle for me so far, because it took forever to even get a single city with stone mine. and it’s pretty useful for buildings in the cities. Bronze and wood felt the best balanced. I kept running out, but making enough back in short enough time they never were a huge pain.

Overall, been gripping me more than my previous install of Rome II. Seems to have had away with a lot of the super complex and needless bits. Will have to get back on it soon. and maybe try not to lose an entire day to it.

2 Likes

I’m streaming Old School RuneScape for the next 3 days in preparation of a 99 woodcutting/firemaking party some friends and I are having. I’m live for the next 1-2 hours tonight. https://www.twitch.tv/vortico

2 Likes

I realized that I only ever play shooters. Also that I have 810 hours in Far Cry 3. :neutral_face:

Screw this. Imma get a controller so I can play SNES games on emulator.

I can’t play shooters and aim on console/controller, and I definitely can’t play 2D platforming with mouse and keyboard.

1 Like

Hello! I play The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Love that game.

3 Likes

I have 0 hour in Far Cry 3 : it’s normal, I just bought it :blush:

1 Like

I’m playing Darksiders II right now :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

but downtimes are too short and I never get the chance to pass the second Pterodactyl

1 Like

Dove hard into Rocket League since it went free to play. Me and the best mate have made a great team, particularly. But even through solo, I’m enjoying the progression and practice.

1 Like

I love this game. I’ve spent a long time getting frustrated with some of the achievements. Looking forward to Mini Motorways too

2 Likes