Time to play a video game...

So with BG3 out tomorrow and Starfield coming imminently I decided it was time to retire my six year old GTX 1080 in favour of something with a bit more poke. Couldn’t afford top of the line, but the RX 6750 XT I have coming tomorrow should be a little smoother at high res.

1 Like

For a long time I’ve wanted to give this a second chance, or rather: me, with it. A game that really makes me wish it’d been around 20 years ago, when I lived alone in my little flat, coming home on a Sunday after 2 nights of vjing without my buddies (all the cash for me:), and 20 € of weed by my side :slight_smile:

[Red Dead Redemption 2]

1 Like

That’s one of about 50+ games I’ve bought on Steam and not even got around to installing. I can see my retirement being playing all those games while trying to remember my name.

4 Likes

Oh, then it should be just the right thing! It’s almost excrutiatingly slow, or sedate maybe - in the best of ways - but thus commands more losing oneself in its world than I am able to provide it, myself, with. Or have been, I’m trying again :slight_smile:

Re-playing Myst V: End of Ages. This is my least favourite in the Myst franchise.

What’s particularly vexing is having to draw symbols on these slate-like tablets to open links to different locations within the various Ages. Try drawing geometrically perfect shapes (especially circular elements) with a mouse or trackpad. The lag doesn’t help either. If you fail to get it right you have to erase it and start over again. I count that as a user interface fail, because even when you know the answer to a puzzle, it does not mean you can advance in the game any time soon.

I give it a 2.5 out of 5.

I’m almost at half way to retire :no_mouth: and who knows what i’m gonna do when +60 (if I can get there LOL)

today I would get a pilot certificate and get a small plane with a lawn mower engine to fly here over the Po’ delta valley

while dreaming I keep practicing on X-Plane :sunglasses:

1 Like

Oh I’m not going to be able to retire until forced to so I’m probably at least 15-20 years off that (also if I make it). Was just meaning it would allow time for all the stuff I never got round to doing like playing those unplayed Steam game purchases.

Those little aircraft sound fun but I don’t trust myself to negotiate my lounge without bumping into something so not for me.

1 Like

Baldur’s Gate 3 is pretty great. It’s like Larian took the best bits from OG Baldurs Gate and their own Divinity series but then made a vastly bigger game than they had ever built before.

I can tell how much age has caught up with me though as 20 years ago I could have played sessions for 12 hours straight through and that’s not happening any more thanks to eyes and bladder.

I bought it, played it for a few hours, stopped. Been thinking I should try it again… Most video games don’t work for me… too much like work-work.

1 Like

I think that land a 747 with a high lateral wind could be a bit tedious

1 Like

i’ve certainly been using my summer holiday time (the perks of being a teacher) to play a game. i upgraded my desktop pc from a gtx 1060 to an rtx 3080 ti and installed an nvme ssd (which have really come down in price) as my new game drive. i’d like to get another ssd storage device for replacing my remaining spinning platter hdd, which is quite noisy, to store my data on.

anyway, i’ve been playing a lot of crusader kings 3 lately, because on my laptop it kept crashing with the latest version. the latest dlc (tours & tournaments) introduced some interesting game mechanics, and i’m really enjoying the game again. so much so, that i missed last week’s naviar haiku challenge…

the other day, farthest frontier (the spiritual successor of city builder banished, still in early access) got a big update and if i can tear myself away from ck3, i may try that.

and then of course beginning next month we get starfield. i’m really looking forward to that and hoping it will live up to the hype. bethesda knows this is a big one and they better deliver.

the next big game i’m looking forward to is cities skylines ii, which is set to release late october. i quite enjoy building and management games, but they don’t quite get to the level i enjoy role-playing games such as skyrim and ck3.

no 747 at the moment

started playing geofs and x-plane just to understand how air navigation and an autopilot work, ended dreaming about flying in no time :broccoli:

2 Likes

Finished Baldur’s Gate 3 a couple of days ago (which I loved, all 135 hours I played of it) and here I find myself preloading Starfield for another few weeks of escapism. :slight_smile:

I am playing Holocure. That’s another Vampire Survivors clone, but with cute catgirls (well, vtubers) and some kind of Stardew Valley minigame where you can fish, grow vegetables and decorating your house

Anyone seen the walkthroughs of Hogwarts Legacy ? Incredible realism and detail - for the first time I actually considered getting a console just so I could go wandering around the castle.

2 Likes

I actually play DF now that finally it has been released on Steam with a better graphic interface (sorry but the ASCII original game was an eyesore for me. I love retrogaming big time but DF was too much messy for my tastes) and yes, it is one of the best game ever made.

BUT I am a fan of survival games and at the moment I am deep into modding S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call Of Pripyat and I released two mods: NUCLEAR WINTER and SHADOW OF BLACK MESA, a sort of crossover between S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and HALF LIFE.

2 Likes

I was watching it on Nicholas Nack’s channel (he’s a small youtuber) and I liked it a lot. But it quickly became kinda repetitive especially with this particular youtuber playing style (I’ve seen few of his walkthroughs and he usually goes for 100%: achievements, collectables and whatnot, even the enemy kills). I like his style - he’s playing it just like I would’ve played it - but for most of the people it’s not particularly entertaining, I guess. That’s why he is a small youtuber… And he probably stopped doing videos after realizing that… That’s my guess at least.

BUT even if he played it very casually, like what I’ve seen on other channels, it still becomes a bit boring after maybe 8-10 hours… I like it though, I like this game. Do you need a console to play it though? I thought it is a multiplatform thingy. So there is a PC version as far as I know…

No there is a Windows version which in theory is playable on the Mac, but I think you need a console for the 4k raytracing quality. I can’t see a Windows box handling that.

Ah, I see, I see! Makes sense…

A quick tip, seeing as we’re old(ish) dudes and may mostly happily miss out on things: if you’ve ever had any fun with a From Software title, do check out Lies of P, a really stunning love letter to Bloodborne × Sekiro.