Tape Recorder - now with Tape Inspector as an expander

Thank you, I’m aware of that and it will be removed in the next release. Until then, there’s a workaround to avoid this scratch by setting the starting point of the loop to 1 instead of 0.

1 Like

I like it. I’m glad you decided to continue with it. For what it is I sort of want it to be more “lo-fi” but I guess i just have to put a distortion between my sound source and the tape. I just hope someone shows it to Hainbach.

I’ve used it a fair bit on some of my tracks, But like Dag2099, I’m a bit unsure on the led display section and the loop functions. A bit more information on those features would be welcome, also what do the dials do, even audio examples so I know what does what. Thanks for a great module. Hope there is not too many demands here.

So you wish a tape-emulation soundwise with distortion, dropouts, wow and flutter?

1 Like

Sure, being “tapelike” is what it has over other samplers. Most of that stuff you can emulate, though. I was playing around earlier and had fun putting an lfo into the speed control. Just out of curiosity what does the power “screw” do?

If you make a loop that starts at 0, the power screw controls the length of the scratch. But I will change this slightly in a future update.

1 Like

I like this module a lot also, thanks for continuing your efforts, and for releasing it.

I agree, more info about the controls would be a plus.

The scratching and also the wow & flutter when you “touch” the reels with your mouse are awesome features!

The tape emulation effects of distortion, dropouts, wow & flutter would make a great stand-alone module, so they could be used in other places as well. Reaktor has some good ones but they are missing in VCV.

Some more CV inputs would be nice, for the scratching & the transport controls, so they could be automated or controlled via Midi - I was not able to successfully map them using Stoermelder modules (but my fingers are itching to scratch with a knob!) That is definitely NOT a complaint, I really appreciate the authentic look & function of your custom controls just as they are!

1 Like

I made a short introduction video:

9 Likes

Thanks a lot!

I think I should take a look at Reaktor…

I’m working on automating the reels over MIDI. And I’m working on a small Arduino device with a motor-driven ‘knob’ for simulating the grabbing of a real moving ‘reel’.

1 Like

been waiting for this one. had a little time to check it out today. i think this module is really good already and has potential to be even better. take a look at ‘Cassette’ by Wavesfactory. https://www.wavesfactory.com/audio-plugins/cassette/

i agree with others in this thread that distortion/saturation or degradation would be nice. maybe something like a ‘lofi’ mode. CV control of wow and flutter would be nice. adjustable tape noise/hiss.

maybe you and @n0jo (Rackwindows) could work on an expander with Airwindows ‘Iron Oxide’ and ‘Chrome Oxide’.

im hoping to be able to map the tape reels to midi. havent tried yet but figured i’d mention it. edit - just noticed you mentioned you are working on this. looking forward to mapping the reels to my Midilar.

anyways, great work. glad you finished it up and released it.

how similar are they to Rackwindows Tape?

i really like Iron Oxide 5 and use it a lot in Host FX.

1 Like

Also take a look at the price. Are you willing to pay around 50 bucks for my modules?

im not suggesting that you implement all the features… just saying you could take a look at it for ideas because its a really good cassette tape emulation with a micro tape mode.

as for paying $50 for your vcv module. the answer is no because the price point of vcv commercial plugins isnt that high. $30 is about as high as premium vcv plugins go for compared to vst plugins that have a much wider range when it comes to pricing. $59 for the wavesfactory plugin is fair imo.

1 Like

Thanks that clarified a lot, things are much clearer, just used your module and two delay modules[AS Delay Plus FX, Chronoblob and Rackwindows’ Tape for crunchiness, to make six tracks for Soundcloud. Once they have uploaded I’ll put the link on here. Be warned though, it is anti Donald Trump themed and the events of 6-7 Jan 2021. Thanks for creating and doing any updates to this fine module. You could end up making something as big as your Harmoniser module if you include them all!

Thanx … the Recorder is fun! :blue_heart:

1 Like

added a new loop mode ‘cycle’

5 Likes

Thanks for continuing to update this already great module.

1 Like

OK I’m having a lot of fun messing with this. But here are my suggestions.

1. It seems like if it’s not playing, it’s passing through the input audio. Could use a 'no input on output mode.
  2. Could use a tempo input – say, the CLK output of the Impromptu clock.
  3. It isn’t clear to me what’s happening with the transport and how it interacts with ‘erase tape.’
  4. Initialize Tape Recorder. Click play forward. It does nothing. I gather this is because I haven’t set the loop length?
  5. Is it in permanent sound on sound mode? I notice that if you let it play a while the noise builds up. Could there be a trigger to start/stop recording, and possibly a trigger input to

Thank you for your feedback!

1. Great idea!
  2. Yes, that would be possible. But keep in mind: changing the tempo from outside will also change the pitch.
  3. ‘Erase tape’ simply erases all recordings on the tape. It should not interact with the transport bar.
  4. Maybe you found an issue here. Fell free to report issues at Issues · Ahornberg/Ahornberg-VCV-Modules · GitHub
  5. Also a great idea!

Maybe in the next couple of weeks I will find time to contiue working an the next version of Tape Recorder. I also think about building an expander, based on the old Tascam 4-Track.

4 Likes