Suzanne Ciani 4 Buchla patch setup and techniques in VCV

Hi everybody !

First, Thank you a lot Pyer for those videos, they are of incredible value, your work is really really appreciated ! The recreation of the MARF with basic modules got me lost a few times, but in the end I learned a lot and it is working !

I noticed something : when using the offset from the atenuverters (befaco’s ones) the playhead started with an offset but did not play the full sequence, for exemple, with a 5V offset it would start at the middle, reach the end and stall there for half the phase duration, then start over at the middle.

Did I do something wrong ?

Anyway I came up with a solution for the playhead position offset and thought I’d share it here, even if just to remind our Official.Buchla.In.VCV.Provider ( @synthi ) than a “real” 248 would be noïce :grinning: .

Instead of befaco’s atenuverters I used this :

And it seems to be working, the Offset knobs offsets, it’s value is mixed with the original phase, and “Modulo Magic” works its magic and keeps it going 0=>10V without stalling, stoping or anything.

2 Likes

informative talk

4 Likes

Hi Friends! So this is it, the last episode of the serie is due in a few hours, this adventure was way too big for me, I learn a lot and I hope it was useful to you as well :slight_smile:

19 Likes

As a novice, I’m looking forward to dive in. Thank you for your hard work doing these series and Modular collection. Very usefull and super interesting !

1 Like

I’d so love to see a Buchla MARF / 248 in VCV. It seems like such a versatile performance tool. Anyone up to the challenge? @synthi what do you think?

3 Likes

someone on the VCV discord severs says they are working on onw.

1 Like

I started a couple of times, but I feel that it’s useless to repro exactly 1 to 1 in a VCV world
(too many arcaic controls and actions)

(I own a real/clone MArF withe extension to 32 steps)

I need to find the creative push to start a project that will stop me for a couple of months

2 Likes

How about taking a lesson from South Park’s underpants gnomes? Step 1: write VCV module. Step 3: massive accumulation of wealth.

2 Likes

Respect! I’m searching for a sequencer that gives as much flexibility, performability and depth as MARF. The equivalent just doesn’t seem to exist out there: multiple playheads, external or internal sequences, step-length control and simple fader control of most of the functions. It would be great to be able set the length of each sequence, have phase-addressable playback and more VCV-friendly controls (like the @clone45 Digital Sequencer) but that’s all dreaming. I’d love to see it come to life!

What’s a playhead in this context? Something to do with sequencers?

A playhead is the position of playback in the sequencer. Most sequencers have one playhead per channel (like ShapeMaster). Some allow multiple playheads (like using Poly select inputs on Bogaudio ADDR)

1 Like

DHE sequencers has some very close shots at MARF, though it’s only one play head. Ciani usage of the MARF us the tip of the iceberg I don’t know if it something that would be interesting in vcv because it’s really hard to use and long learning curve. And it’s not optimised for screen: you need two hands, holding things, quick switch of buttons, it’s a performance as much as a programmation tool… Also don’t do it because it will make all my videos obsolete :rofl::rofl: Jk, I’ll keep the rest of my musical life trying to convince Antonio to do it :wink: I have some ideas for mouse use related improvements but it’s only draft a this point

3 Likes

Is it something that you could set up with a midi controller?

Probably… but the MARF is a swiss knife: it is one module that can do a lot of things… that can be done by a bunch of other modules without having to “hack” them… Maybe a MARF in VCV doesn’t make a lot of sense for the same reason why people don’t use function generator modules in VCV: it’s a nice swiss knife, but we are not limited by room or money so we can dial a new module each time we need something

1 Like

The MARF capability I’m most intrigued by is the ability to switch between its own CV values and four external sequencer values - with two playheads. Having hands-on control of the 16x2 MARF faders to perform with this function is something I can’t seem to replicate very well in VCV. Your patch does an amazing job of squeezing in all of the functionality of the MARF but I find it hard to control because the functions are spread across many modules and sometimes hidden behind pages (like with ShapeMaster)

You created a great control setup with Lemur, but the devs just announced Lemur is EOL. I wonder if your template could be converted to TouchOSC relatively easily?

The Lemur template is mostly about the 2 ADDR +exp knobs (2x16 knobs) midi learned as faders in the app, and a switch to use fader values or an extrernal seq switch adressed by this value.

I ended up using Lemur because it’s the only app that I know of allowing the “drwaing” like editing of multiple faders… I don’t know why all these DIY controller app are fading away, this is something at the ipad really shines… one of my first job was to deisgn layouts for TB midi stuff app… it’s still there but abandoned and unstable.

You are right, an entire MARF would be an unnecessary hassle, but a sequencer that has the folllowing would be great:

• more than one play head
  • CV adressable position
  • Ability to switch between an internal value or an external source
  • extra bonus: octave switch for each step, different for each playhead.

If only I was part of a team who makes VCV modules… wait!

7 Likes

Oh mate… that is a brilliant tease. If such a thing is in the works, I’m very happy to beta test!

Just one request: please make it 16 steps! (or expandable to 16)

To be honest: yes it is in the work (and yes it is 16 steps) but not the first module on the release list, somethinng else is comming first, so I don’t know how long it can be…

4 Likes

Well damn, any @pyer module release is exciting. Any hints on what’s next?

Hi all

Suzanne talks about “double gating” in her interviews. Anyone able to explain what this means?

Thanks, Chris.