Suzanne Ciani 4 Buchla patch setup and techniques in VCV

I think my Slade would to that.it’s made to popless mixing.

1 Like

Thanks, BTW I’m working on the folow up of this video, I hope I can pull it off, but it should be out soon :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Doing homework for the followup of this project: my first video tutorial! I hope I can pull it off!

7 Likes

Hmmmm… Frequency shifter. Is there one of those in VCV? :wink:

haha! I think you will appreciate my technical explanation about it :smiley:

@Squinky as we are getting to it, I was wondering, the Bucha shofter has a verry differnt naming, butis it the same architecture? seems to be about “sum” and “difference”, and “signal in” and “reference”

Yeah, freq shifter is just a single sideband AM modulator, ring mod is dual sideband. What this calls “sum” and “difference” is what I call “up” and “down”. I"m guessing the ref is my big freq knob and the drop downs control (freq of internal sine vco)? Single-sideband modulation - Wikipedia

Funny that this thread got me playing around with a somewhat hokey version of a Weaver shifter:

wow - that’s pretty cool.

While I’m just using the default saw horn as the sound source, with the shifter and some ValhallaSuperMassive on the result I can get some funky screams reminiscent of McLaughlin’s “Miles Out” solo. I think he had a Bode on his guitar that he tweaked with a foot pedal.

/me runs to post that to the “listening” thread.

when was that? Pretty sure chick corea had a (much less esoteric) ring mod on his piano at the Isle of Wight show (1971?).

There was a lot of that then. Jan Hammer’s Rhodes on Cobham’s Red Barron comes to mind. The Mahavishnu Orchestra piece was just a somewhat more umm… exaggerated example. :wink:

Surge has one. it would be nice to see some more options but the Surge sounds good. i’ve used it to build patches in vcv based on this distortion technique.

1 Like

Yes, I was making a little joke. My Booty shifter had been in VCV since VCV 0.6. It was the only one for a very long time. Then Surge came along. As I’ve said, it’s better in some ways, although I feel the UI of the booty shifter (which is a copy of the Moog/Bode module) is more usable. they are both super good, and afaik still the only two in all of VCV.

4 Likes

This is super exciting!

Ms. Ciani is a musical (and personal) hero of mine. The thought of her using Rack is incredibly cheering.

Another plug: my “kitchen sink” VCO is an enhanced copy of the FM-OP. One of the enhancements is a waveform that can morph from triangle to saw under CV control. Of course a triangle is sort of “sine like”, and it gets more sine like if you run it through a waveshaper (isn’t that how Buchla did it?).

the joke went right over my head, haha! i should have remembered the Booty Shifter was another one.

1 Like

I don’t know about the circuits, but here is still some room for an oscillator in vcv: one where you choose two waveform and you can go smoothly from one to another… Or a good crossfader. With a knob +CV + CV attenuverter. Most of them cancel the knob position once a CV is connected

vector mixer can do this

1 Like

Yes, I this case I needed to stay really educative oriented and " I’m going to take a highly featured animated quad mixer because it’s the only one that do cross fading as you’d expect" wasn’t the idea :wink: I ended up using bleak, which has a wave shaper that kind of works for 258 waveshaping style

1 Like