Surge XT 2.2 - Want to help Beta Test?

Merge Vital and Surge…Monster combo

Vital rendering technology can compete with paid software

Its just a suggestion that I think since a long time

Was Ctrl-R always randomizing the VCO drift?

(Just curious. I don’t remember ever realizing it before.)

Yes but I should make it so it doesn’t randomize the level at least. That is very distracting. I can also knock drift out of rand. (I have to make a change for the CXOR anyway so let me do that while in there)

1 Like

Oh the new nightly with the ring mod fix is up. Works for me on Linux

Turns out the half rate filter had a crash at block size 4 which simde masked on arm bit which proper sse didn’t like. So I had to move to latency 8 for now for the module

If someone can Give it a whirl I’ll pack it up as 2.2.1.0 and submit to library

Thanks!

It works here now on Intel Mac :+1:

Thanks for the quick work!

1 Like

Amazing and thanks. Packaged it up and submitted to library as 2.2.1.0. Should be in the next set of sweeps when andrew and team do the library next.

Really appreciate the pre-test here. Thanks!

4 Likes

baconpaul: bigups and thanks for all the work and art!:slight_smile: fantastic pack. one issue here… on mac. I can’t see Bonsai and Nimbus in vcv2 browser… I even deleted previous but still I can’t see them. any idea ? I have 2.2.1.0 installed from Github. thnx

Oh it’s probably the whitelist thing with the library - How to get rid of whitelist for plugin

1 Like

Oh yeah the CXOR is working great thanks for working that out so quick.

1 Like

And I guess being a newb, I would love an idea what each selection in the CXOR does with the signals. I am familiar with ring modulation, but unsure what else is going on. Thanks

This is the thing we struggled with the most for sure

Basically each is a different combination of max multiply and mask in various parts of the quadrants and we had super technical names for them (like pm-mx-neg-r7 and stuff) which didn’t help so we kinda ended up deciding to just make each of them have a generic ‘type 1’ name and encourage folks to just pick em and listen.

put in a couple of waves with some harmonic content and either exactly in tune, a little out, or like some harmonic interval out, and just scroll through them.

1 Like

Just a heads up

A small number of windows 10 users see a rack crash if they run rack with surge 218 and install the 130 vst.

This can be fixed by running the 123 vst or the 221 xt

Since it’s fixed when both versions run we don’t have anything to fix but wanted to share a heads up

2 Likes

This is all very exciting. Not a coder but it feels that great work is happening. I’m thankful for such a devoted and skilled community of developers offering powerful tools. Thanks for all the work and thanks for being a part of this community! @baconpaul and testers.

5 Likes

Finished a rough tutorial on this, which is uploading now:

Not sure I’ve explained it particularly well, but I’ll do a separate one on the whole polyphonic effects at some point. Cheers!

9 Likes

Yeah, that sounds great!

I’m amazed your cpu works at 16;poly too!

Cheers @LarsBjerregaard! Just got round to checking out the other modules, the new ring mod is excellent too.

@baconpaul this was on my laptop, which is a 4 year old i7. It makes the fan come on straight away, but other than that it seemed to handle it OK! Obviously if you chain a few poly modules with the max channels it can cause problems, because you’re doing the DSP 16 times, but you can still get interesting textures with far fewer channels. I just like to be a maniac and use as many as possible!

1 Like

Yeah 16 sounds great though! But I’m sure you could get less fan noise and similar textures with 5 in a mix. Super neat technique with the staggered freezes too

Yep even 3 or 4 channels creates a more interesting texture. 16 is fine for a patch that just does that one effect, but if you’re making a whole patch with VCOs, drums etc. then it’s going to cause problems unless you’re on a very beefy desktop, and it’s not really necessary in a mix.

I’m not sure what gave me the idea of using effects polyphonically, I was just thinking about how filters work in a synth voice, if you play 3 notes then effectively VCV makes that into 3 discrete filters. I wondered if we could use rack’s poly implementation to run guitar through lots of filters at once without having to separately patch everything, and it’s now my favourite technique. It was just filters at first, then I discovered that Vult Rescombe worked too and there’s also PolyDelay. That was it for a while, but now we have almost all of the Surge fx, Airwindows and the VCV Pro fx to abuse polyphonically, and a few more delays too. What a time to be alive :laughing:

1 Like

Yeah I’m working on Shortcircuit now (the sampler cousin to surge) and it has a bunch of complex but still fairly light weight polyphonic voice level inserts.

I won’t be able to bring Shortcircuit to rack like i did for surge unless we lift the macOS 10.9 constraint, but I will be able to lift some components so the surge rack package may get some of the bits and bobs which are in sc next year including some interesing poly fx perhaps. We will see

6 Likes